Crosshatching

This is one technique that I have approached just yet. I really need to get this technique down but I am uncertain on how to approach now that I have the CQ attached.

I have unattached it to work freehand.

I guess my question is do you simply measure and mark your staring points and simply use straight ruler edge. My hartley is now unattached. Do I do all the ones going in one direction first and then the crossover next, Roll up take leader and begin again. What is the best way to approach this to reduce start and stops throughout my top?

Havent got down on how I will do this with my CQ yet so I guess I'll freehand it for now. Is there an easy way to approach this technique?

Beginner FEARS,

Grammie TAmmie

I just finished a wholecloth with crosshatching for the first time. I marked all the lines and used my smaller stitch in the ditch ruler because the spaces weren't that large. I thought I would do all the lines in one direction first then the other, but it doesn't really work that way. You can go up to one point follow the outline of applique for instance then go in same direction only parallel. Or you can go to up to a point then go off in another direction just to continue on. You can go forever up to a certain point till you have to tie off or run out of sewing space. You literally zigzag all over till the space is all filled up. You definitely don't want to stop and start all the time. Once you get started you will see what I mean. Mark as much as possible to make it easy on yourself.

I've loaded my cross hatching on point. I initially load it the normal way to do some basting, then take off and load on point and go across and than unload and load on point the other direction. Yes, it's lots of work but, I like it because than I don't have any stop and start points and it is one countious line across the quilt.

Carol Thelen talks about loading on point in her book about longarm machine quilting (can't remember the exact name). I also saw Marcia Stevens go into great detail on an old video about creative machine quilting.

You have to have your quilt completely stabilized before doing it. It is kind of like if you were going to turn the quilt to do the side borders, but you load the quilt sandwich on point.

I'm sure someone on here could explain it better

I made myself a crosshatch ruler from 1/4" plexiglass, directions are in "My Studio" Webshots album .

Each edge is scribed with lines that are 3/4" in . With the 1/4" of the foot that the Millennium has, it will make a 1" crosshatch. I just line up the scribed line of the ruler on the last stitched row and go, go, go, No marking needed. I just have to make sure that the ruler does not slip. First I make lines in one direction and then I go back the other way. There is no need to load on point!

If I wanted a 1/2" crosshatch, I would scribe lines on the ruler that are 1/4" from the edge but I have not done so.

J?rgen

Linda and Linda (!).......

I got the CL crosshatch last month and haven't used it yet. I think I'm always nervous to try new things. The next two quilts need crosshatching so here goes nothing.

One of the quilts is one that someone did at a mystery workshop and she is very disappointed since a couple of her colours blend in with each other too much. She's hoping that I'll work some magic and bring it to life...no pressure, huh? Anyway, it's been on the machine for three days and not a stitch yet. Tomorrow, bright and early for sure. I have my crosshatch and my "formal feathers" book, there's no stopping me now!!! ( great pep-talk, hope it works!!! )

Have a good day...............Sandra:cool:

Archived