packing the gear box

bonbon

How can I find out about repacking the gear box on my millenium. I've noticed it getting louder recently.

I would need clear instructions and info on where to get the grease and what brand.

I'm not so mechanically inclined so I need very basic and easy to understand instructions.

Thanks, Bonnie

Hi Bonni

Nothing to be worried about.

You'll just need someone to help you remove the rollers that go through the throat of the machine, take the machine off the table and turn it upside down.

Remove 4 screws and the coverplate,

move the grease slowly from side to side digging deep down to find the airpockets,

pop a few dobs of grease in them,

rotate the thumbwheel a few times to move the grease around and maybe uncover some more airpockets and

then put the screws and plate back on and put the machine back on the table.

It takes about 1/2 an hour and you will be so pleased you did it when your machine starts to purr again.

Sue in australia

Okay, I broke down and did it. Had DH help be repack the grease. Pretty easy.

My machine was really quiet when I first got it (especially compared w/my previous machine). Kids/DH didn't have to turn up the t.v. a lot while I was working. Good deal. Then after a few months it got loud. Amy said needs repacked...sent grease...a year later I'm now doing pantos and am in the back where it's loud...finally break down and do it.

Put it all back together, in non regulated mode was nice and quiet, though it could have always been I don't use non SR mode...ever. Put it in SR and had the same loud rattly/growly sound. Reach up (I'm at the back) and put my hand lightly on the top of machine quiets right down. It the tin on top that's noisy in SR so I did this...It doesn't get close to the belt in there...will it hurt anything?

post--13461901947457_thumb.jpg

Tracey,

I have also noticed that my machine was noisy when working pantos.

I tried putting blue tac under the top cover to hold it off what ever it was rattling on. Didn't work.

Think I will try your idea and maybe hold the batting on with double sided sticky tape. I'm off tohave a play with your idea.

Lyn

Hi Tracey

Your machine looks cozy with its scarf on! The only thing I would worry about is airflow. I think there needs to be some space between the covers so the heat from the motor can escape.

Hi Lyn,

Check that the six screws that hold the top cover on are nice and tight and that you have plastic spacers between the cover and the machine. If the rattling is coming from the top cover being a bit low and touching machine, you can loosen the screws a little and move the top cover up a fraction, then tighten the screws.

Sue in Austraia

Another thing you can get is sticky backed foam pads from Bunnings to go between the two bits of metal.

Archived