Pricing for a scalloped border??

A customer just called me saying that her mother has a quilt that has been quilted but wants the border redone to a scalloped border. How do I price for this? Should I charge by the hour? What have others done in this situation?

She will bring the quilt over tomorrow afternoon and I like to have some idea of what to charge for this job. :o

Thanks!!

Things to know before you quote a price--

Is the already-quilted border to be un-quilted (frogged) by you, or is it already done?

What are the square-inch dimensions that will require quilting?

Will you need to turn the quilt? (I think I will say yes to that question)

Has the customer marked the scallops so you now where to place the designs, or will they leave that up to you?

Here would be my take on extra charges--

A scalloped quilting pattern--depending on the complexity--would start at 2 1/2 cents just for the square inch measurements.

I would charge $10 for turning the quilt, and $10 as a loading charge ( with the quilt one piece, it takes extra care when loading as one piece--at least it takes me longer!:))

If you need to mark the scallop placement yourself, bump that per inch up to 3 or more.

If they want you to frog the old border--charge $300 or $400 :P:P--then you won't have to do it!! I tell my friends that I frog enough of my own work--I don't need to frog someone elses!!

These extra charges may not make it to your minimum charge, if you have one. But this is an opportunity to make a happy repeat customer for yourself.

Short answer: by the hour--$25

Long answer:

Does she just want you to trim it to a scallop? Or do more quilting along a scalloped line? I still would charge a custom rate, depending on how much quilting you'll be doing.

It takes time to calculate the curves/points. Then you have to mark it, load it, quilt it, trim it, etc.

You could charge by the inch too. 20-25 cents per inch if it involves just the edge.

Hope this helps. I guess it all depends on how complicated it is. I did a baby quilt just the top and bottom scalloped, straight sides. It took me about 2 hours to do 200 inches, calculate, mark, trim, apply bias binding (which I cut and pieced) to the back to be finished on DSM later.

Archived