NQR- Trip to New York City

Hello everyone,

I need to make an unexpected trip to NYC (Staten Island specificaly) and need some help. My brother is flying in from Florida and I will be flying or taking the train from Maine. We would like to meet at the airport and get to the ferry terminal as easily and safely as possible.

It looks like Newark is closer, but like in Maine "Can you get there from here?" Any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Leslie,

I wish I could help. I'm not at all familiar with how the subways work. I will say that I have been to the city 3 times since we moved back to NY and everytime I was there I got lost or we couldn't figure out which subway to get on and each time a nice person helped us! One of them actually saw us looking at the map trying to decide which one to get on and got off the sub to come help us!!!!! Don't listen to all the stories you hear about how scarey NY City is! There are lots of people willing to help. Good luck and enjoy your trip. I've only ever driven from NJ to Staten Island and that Outerbridge crossing is the pits! Very expensive too! I think it was $10 last time we went that way.

Leslie....THAT's easy...you both fly into Newark International and then take the NJ Transit to the NYC Penn Station about a 30 minute ride...and from there take the NYC Transit to Staten Island.

Its not that hard...when we first got to NY we only traveled by train until we got use to the heavy traffic.

Thanks for the advise, but it looks like we are in for the adventure. His Mother-in-law made his reservation into LaGuardia. It was also really tough for me to find a flight from Bangor to Newark that didn't have two or three changes (strange). So we are meeting at Laguardia and taking a couple of busses (no subways, I'm a wimp) and should be at my Aunt's front door by mid-afternoon.

Did I mention my "little brother" is 6'8" and 300 lbs? I think we should be OK.

Leslie....coming from a very rural world...cowboys and the wild west so to speak... had never driven on anything but a two lane back country gravel roads, very few highways from where I was raised, and only go to town once a month to get the big groceries...the rest is raised on the ranch...then plopped in Reno for almost 20 years... and wisked off to then land in NEW YORK....never been to the city larger than San Fransico (NYC makes that look like peanut butter) but two times both with my hubby who carries himself like a cop and looks like someone from the Military, I felt very safe.

THEN he goes and gets hurt and has to live in the hospital in NYC for 6 weeks...I learned more about the taxi/train/bus systems than I EVER want to know. Get on the internet...every subway/bus/trai schedule is on there...they are all marked in color and if you need to follow the yellowbrick road you do just that...the part that blew me away, was realizing that in some places I was 4-10 stories down into the ground. There are cops all over the place down there, its not scary at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to jump one by myself.

I'm not to sure but I don't think they have sub or rail service from LaGuardia...I know they have Rail from JFK. It going to be a long day that is for sure, as you will need to get off several buses to then take the Ferry to Staten Island then to jump onto maybe several more buses to get to your Auntie's house. ME I would rent a car and drive it...way faster, and maybe even cheaper.

Archived