Lenni vs.Liberty vs. Freedom SR

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to long arm quilting. I'm going to test drive APQS machines at the road show this weekend and I'm debating on which machine to purchase.

I've been researching machines and reading the reviews in the forums regarding different models and have narrowed the choices to a Lenni, Liberty or a Freedom SR (used). I plan on using this machine mainly for my art quilts and charity quilting until I get the hang of it and start a home business in a few years after my son starts school.

I have a few questions regarding the Lenni and Liberty maybe someone can answer for me. Is there an option to purchase the multi positionable handles like on the Millennium?

I was seriously considering the Lenni model until I read various posts about the table problems. Now I'm not sure. Any thoughts? I guess you can get a 12 foot table instead of the 10 foot table. Is it good quality? What is the main difference between the Liberty and Lenni models beside the price? I can't really tell from the website when doing comparisons on the chart. What model would you recommend as a first long arm machine?

I can't wait to go on Sat. to try the various models!

I can only speak to the Lenni but I have NEVER had a table issue. I have a solid 10' table and it is heavy and ready to go with I am. Lenni is smaller than the others and can't add a computerized component but I must say I have really really enjoyed my Lenni. Lenni is smaller than the rest and less expensive than the rest but she is perfect for my needs.:P:P:P

When I was looking I was going to get the Freedom, but a Millenium (used) came up for sale. It is kind of like buying a car, you have to try them all and find a fit for you. As for the used Freedom's APQS is offering, you can't get a better deal. But drive them all and the one you keep going back to is the one you want.

Hi Rebecca, I wanted the Lenni just to quilt for myself but then I slid into quilting a bit for others. I don't do the business the others here on the forum do. I just do a bit here and there in order to pay for my machine and for my fabric habit. I knew I'd use the 4th bedroom in our home that was once a playroom. When I measured both my bank accound and my space, I knew I could only use a 10' table and thought the Lenni would fit my needs. I did drive a used Freedom last weekend in Mobile and liked it. But I have to say, Lenni's tension is always so perfect and her stitches are so perfect and she is so easy to use until I hate to even use the word "Freedom" around her in case she gets her feelings hurt. I can certainly see that if you have more money and more space the larger machines with more bells and such may be your best bet but I surely do like my Lenni. I do think those used Freedoms they have right now are a really good price and value. Again, speaking for myself, I have loved, loved my Lenni choice. Rebecca, your info doesn't say where you are but if you are anywhere close by me you are more than welcome to come try mine out. You will like it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Rebecca,

I have a millenium so I can't speak of any of the models you are looking at. I do believe that the Lenni tables have been changed since they first came out so I think the table issue has been resolved. I started with a old stretched rotary machine first and was ready to upgrade in about 6 months time. For me the important features I was looking for in my new machine was to have a stitch regulator and also more throat space. With that being said I don't always use the whole quilting area on my milli but it sure is great to have. I love having the SR. I don't do many art quilts. I love to do heirloom type quilts. I agree that you should try them all out and find the one that works best for you. You can't go wrong with any APQS machine! They are the best company around!

Rebecca,

I purchased a Freedom SR in 2007. I tried the Millenium and the Lenni and decided on the Freedom for the following reasons:

The Freedom SR has the same quilting area as the Millenium. It is stitch-regulated. It does not have the channel-locks or the thread cutter (Millineum) but that makes it about 2 pounds lighter and for me, easier to maneuver.

I tried the Lenni and I almost went for it, it is so darn cute and does a great job of stitching. However, I wanted more quilting area and the Freedom has lots.

Get what feels right to you, but don't skimp. You are worth it!

Aloha, Barbara

I have the Lenni and love it. I do my own quilts on it exclusively. BUT... If I had a choice, and knowing what I know now, I may go the Freedom route for the table. I can't put pressure on the Lenni table rails at all. That is why I have not used the micro drive handles. If I rest my elbows on the rail, the rail pops out of the arm.

Mary

Rebecca,

I agree with the others. Test the machines first. I did not. I purchased my Liberty based on the table design and the size. Fortunately, this worked out for me, but I don't recommend it. Guess I'm a bit impulsive, but I know what I like. There are times I wish I had a bit more space, but I like the way the smaller machine handles. ( I have since had the opportunity to test many machines). I love the space of the Freedom and Milli, but don't like the handles. Also, they were both hard for me to move. My liberty is a breeze. My table has the quilt advance which works with a foot pedal. It is worth its weight in gold! This was another reason I chose the Liberty. I should mention I do not quilt for others, just for myself. When you test machines look at the stitches on both sides. In my humble opinion the APQS machines (stitch regulator) makes the most beautiful consistent stitches. So I guess the Liberty is my dream machine. You will find yours too! Happy hunting.

Carol

I had worked on a Millennium for years but when the Liberty came out I bought one for myself. I liked the lighter weight as I was having back issues. Sometimes I miss the larger throat but love everything else. I had the thread cutter on the Millie and took it off as too many problems and it still left a tail that had to be nipped off. Also had troubles from time to time with the electronic horiz and vert locks so appreciate the hand screw locks.

Thanks again everyone for your input on different models. I went to the roadshow and tried the various models. The sales reps were great- Mark and Tony. I decided I really like the Freedom SR model and was able to purchase one the the 2007 used machines for a great price. I'm so excited! My first long arm machine should be here by the end of the month. :P

I'm sure you will see me back here in the forums with newbie questions.

Thanks and I appreciate everyone being so helpful and nice.

Welcome to the forum too, love my Lenni, could use a few other features on larger machines... just couldn't go the cost then, or now..

Yes it was the two piece tables that gave some problems.. etc. Now I have a duck in mine, of course she's sleeping when we talk to apqs.. will try again tomorrow when she starts it up.

You'll love your machine.. just don't expect perfection as soon as you get her. Muslin and batting makes a great practice sandwich.. and cheers from the members here on the forum all help.. Hope you have a nice camera to share your work, too.

RitaR

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU !!!!! I WENT TO THE ROAD SHOW IN SACRAMENTO TODAY AND I WOULD OF CHOSE THE MILLINNUM IF I WERE BUYING. I HAVE A LIBERTY I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP. BUT MY NEXT PURCHASE WILL BE THE MILLIE. RUNNING IT WAS GREAT WITH THE CHANNEL LOCKS AND QUILT GLIDE

Congratulations Rebecca! I think you are going to love your new Freedom!

I'm north of you in Santa Rosa! I didn't go to the road show, but heard about it via postcard.

I'm not ready to upgrade anytime in the future, if ever, but a Liberty would have been my choice! :) I like the weight on that particular model, and how it moves.

Now the fun begins! See you here! or if you get up this way, let me know we can do coffee!:)

Welcome to our family Rebecca and congratulations on your new baby. Be sure to keep us informed about her delivery and know there is always someone on the forum or a phone if you need help or just need a reminder to breath. You are going to have soooo much fun

Archived