"Sweet Dreams" Irish Chain & IQ updated with pattern names

meg_marsh

Meg, your quilt is beautiful, and I'm sure your friend is going to appreciate it so much. :)

Sewing and quilting are always evolving, and I can remember when I bought my first "embroidery machine" back in 1995 and felt like I had become a traitor to the "hand embroidery" craft. But, oh how I loved that machine embroidery---and still do. :) In fact I recently bought a new embroidery machine. ;)

Or how about the evolution of hand quilting to machine quilting that has taken place in the last few decades.:)

I still hand quilt, and yes, I still do hand embroidery---and I love everything about both methods.

I love to see how the computerized quilting machines work, and the results are so beautiful. :)

I don't have an IQ system, but I sure like the quilting you've accomplished with yours! For just beginning, I'm impressed.

Also, thank you for such a good review of the IQ.

I thinks it's wonderful we have all these wonderful machines and add on's to sew and quilt with. Such fun! Isn't that what it's all about! Enjoy what we can! :)

Oh Meg, your quilt is beautiful and I am so glad you shared your new adventure with us. I think being able to use a computer and still do freehand is, like others say, the best of both worlds. I would for sure have a computer if I could afford it but right now that is not possible.

Have a good summer piecing and look forward to seeing you in July.

Thank you all for all you kind comments and support. My friend came through surgery just fine - she just called and is pretty drugged up but is doing well and should be able to go home (her cousins house) in a couple of days. Then she will get her quilt!!!;)

And wouldn't you know, I spent the afternoon working on free motion formal feathers - I have been taking the wholecloth design class over on MQR - don't have time to quilt it prior to going north so figured I would get some practice in - Not easy following the lines exactly - will have to keep working and figuring them out - have been trying both manual and SR.

Meg, love your quilt and the selections you made for it! I'll be praying for your friend's complete recovery. I'm sorry you felt reluctant to tell us about your new toy, I love the diversity the computer guided combined with freehand offers! I'm curious about the process you went through in. deciding which system you wanted, and what made you take the leap. I'd like to hear from Linda and Debbie, too. I know they both recently up graded, too.

Meg. I'm glad that your friend made it through surgery ok. And she will be so pleased to get this beautiful quilt from you. I also want to tell you that just like there is enough work out there that we don't need to "compete" for customers (cause we all have a different style), it is good to have the computerized systems out there too. There is a place for all of us no matter what brand our machines are, or what style of quilting. Some of us love freehand, some love freehand E2E, E2E panto's and then some of us are fortunate enough to be able to have computerized systems. We all have different likes and so do our customers, so you just keep ppp on that computer cause I can see that you are going to do really well with it. BTW, I love blue and white quilts, I'm working on one right now for a friend also. Beautiful quilt. ;)

Hi Kenna. You are right, I got computerized several months ago. I've been shopping for a computerized system for several years that would do what I wanted. I compared brands, watched demos at the shows, etc. for quite awhile. Finally this last spring I decided that IQ was the system for me. I liked being able to record my designs, I liked the ease of use (especially switching from freehand to computerized and visa versa), I like the lack of heavy cords, I liked that the machine could talk to the computer and visa versa instead of just one way communication, I liked that the computer would always be in front of me and I wouldn't have to walk back and forth to a PC or carry around a laptop. I haven't regretted the decision for a minute. The E2E designs are very fast to do. For custom work I am doing a lot of freehand and combining it with the computerized. Some custom quilts I've been able to get done faster than by hand and others have been about the same amount of time. But you can't beat the perfection and consistency that you get with computerized.

Thanks Debbi! Having it right in front of you is great. Also, not having to use space under the table and not having wires all ove rsaves on the clutter, too. IQ does't change anything inside the machine does it? I don't like the thought that after buying a machine with a great stitch, and specific manufacturing quality all that might change by adding a computer to it. Portability is huge, too. For me, all these things count. I'm not so concerned with things being faster, but more with saving wear and tear on my body, and producing beautiful results.

Connie,

The IQ is very easy - during install, Helen & I spent about an hour at the machine - plenty of time to get going. The there are so many wonderful videos on the internet (You Tube and the IQ site) that show us what to do and more coming all the time that lessons are not necessary. You might want to watch some of these & see really what the system does. Just do a search on You Tube for the videos. You can also go to:

IQ videos

Hope this helps.

Archived