charge for binding on longarm

Hi Bonnie,

Since it is quick and easy to apply the binding using the machine, I charge a flat $30--much less than my usual charge for doing it on the DSM. Even a king size only takes about a half-hour if the binding is ready, so that is pretty good $$. I do not hand-stitch it to the back, but I have an associate (BFF) who does show-quality hand stitching of the back. She negotiates her own price.

See you in July, I hope!:)

I have several prices and people are willing to pay! I charge .12 per linear inch to attach binding they provide and .35 per linear inch to make it, attach it to the front (on my millie), then hand sew it on the back. You can figure other pricing if you have to make it and attach it, or machine sew it on, etc. somewhere in between the two prices. I have several customers who always bring their binding with every top, and others who have me do it when they are pushed for time. Either way.....works for me.

I also teach beginning and intermediate longarming locally, and people always are surprised when I tell them (and teach them) how to apply binding with the short, mid, or longarm machine. The beginners always ask for that to be taught when I ask for topics of interest for intermediate classes. They sign up for a binding class before the beginning class is over!

Thank you everyone.

I've done the binding a few times now at no charge so I can practice. (friends only and my own)

I pretty much know the answer to my next question, but is there a trick to keeping the seam allowance even?

(PPP right? :)

Do you offer this service for customers whose quilts aren't so square? Sometimes I don't notice the top being out of kilter until I'm quilting the bugger. I know how to tame those quilt tops but if the quilt isn't totally square after quilting, how do you get the binding square without trimming off the excess backing a batting? Clear as mud?

I haven't perfected finishing the ends with a miter. Tried it this week and and it looks so-so.

What is your method of mitering the tail ends of the binding?

well Bonnie you are light years ahead of me, so far all I have done is study and stare at the quilts on my frame because I have yet to have a square quilt in my shop until the QOV I have on my frame now and she wants to do her own binding. But I too would love to know the answer to your questions

Hi Bonnie,

Go ahead and apply the binding whether the quilt is square or not. No matter if you use the LA or a DSM to apply the binding, the quilt will still be un-square. That sounds bad, huh??

If it starts out wonky, you can fudge a little during the quilting process to bring it more in line, but at the end, it is what it is. I don't know of anyone who squares a wonky quilt after quilting--it would cause the wonkiness to migrate to the trimmed borders. It is less noticable to leave the edges alone and apply the binding. Unless it is terrifically wonky or if it is a wall hanging, no one will notice that it isn't perfectly square. Did that make sense?

As for attaching the ends of the binding, I usually do the invisible join and finish stitching the last section on my DSM. There is a way to do it on the machine, but it seems almost faster for me to unload and use the DSM.

If anyone sells a video of binding on the longarm, hint hint, I will gladly buy it. Even directions with pictures, no video. As far as joining at the end, I think I would probably handsew the two ends together while it is on the longarm machine so I would not have to finish it up on the DSM.

Very interesting thread.

Mary

Thanks Linda~

That eases my mind.

I'd love to go to Innovations but unfortunatly I have to work. If it went through Sunday instead of saturday it would make it worth the trip for me.

One day I'll get to go. Just don't see it in the near future.

Here is a link to instructions. You will never use your DM to apply binding again. I originally marked my 1/4" on the binding B4 approaching the machine but the next time I was able to use my foot as a guide. This is not for show quilts and when you have had shoulder troubles, the last thing you want to do is wrestle that quilt through a DM. I searched this technique out when I started quilting QOV's and do it on almost every quilt now.

http://gaylemckay.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/apply-binding-with-your-longarm-machine/

If you have problems with the link it is her posting dated Aug. 24, 2007 so you can search her blog and find it.

Archived