New Quilting Mounting System

srichardson

Dory, you crack me up.

Hi everyone. Yes, I have seen the LeaderMate system from Quilter's Paradise. I was one of the testers for this product and have used it for several weeks. It is sturdy, well-designed and easy to use.

I am a fan since I can load and unload my quilts so much faster than before. And NO PINs, you gotta love that.

I would recommend it without hesitation, especially for those who quilt for hire. It is definitely a time-saver.

OK, I heard about the stapler method from a Jessica Schick post way back when. And I used this system for a while. It does chew up my leaders, but I figured that I could just buy new leaders, Gammill sells those 5-in zipper leaders for, well, can't remember but it isn't too pricey.

I have heard of others who sew on a piece of grosgrain ribbon to toughen up the leader and make it last longer. I loved how fast it was and no pins. But as somebody else remarked the staples are not always easy to remove and have a mind of their own. I have found them on my table top and in my wheel tracks...very bad. I had to replace 2 wheels because they had little divots.

Never did figure out how that happened but I stopped using the staples and went back to pinning. No problem with divots on my wheels for months after that. I did upgrade to Edgeriders to improve my control.

When I used the stapler, this is what I used. Its a heavy duty stapler and I got it at Office Depot, I think, for about $15.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9959&page=1#pid89322

Hi Sue,

Thank you for mentioning the Long Beach show.

I'm not planning to attend, but I will be going to Pacific International in the Fall at Santa Clara, CA.

That's all a ways off though, and I need to put on new leaders (soon) and I thought it would be a good time to buy the Leader Mates and put them on at the same time if I was going to go this route.

They certainly look like a good concept, something combining "pinning, zippers and velcro" ---all rolled into one.

I've been reading about stapling here, but that would not work well for me I dont' think as I have carpet under my frame, and I don't relish removing staples from anything. I'm sure I would have "staple litter" everywhere before too long.

I use long flower head pins now, and have from the very beginning of my machine quilting adventures. :) I learned to pin really fast from Laurel Lee Fritz when she lived in our area of Sonoma County. She actually took time to teach me at our local quilt show one day in her booth. I did it a couple of times and got it down pat.

I'm now sort of like human pinning sewing machine once I get started. :) Pinning has never bothered me, except over time it does weaken the edges of the leaders. Of course my leaders are original to my machine (1999) and getting pretty ratty right now. I've recut them, and sprayed them so that they have "recovered" a few times. but I think they have simply had it. :)

Hi Angie,

I will be going to Long Beach so I can take a look. I like the Santa Clara show but have only managed to make it up there a couple of times. I used to live about twenty minutes away on the Peninsula but never went until I moved to So Cal. How silly is that!

Sue

I just came from Quilter's Paradise. Spent a lot of money and enjoyed myself thoroughly!!!! Sue (owner) demonstrated the new system and it looked very efficient. If I was not totally satisfied with my zippers and chain stitching I would consider this system. But besides that, the owners were very nice and helpful. Loved the shop; good choice of fabric, very large space. If I lived in the area this would be my main quilt shop. Besides having a large variety of fabrics etc., one thing I have to have is friendly help that make you feel like shopping.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived