Var. Primaries Thread?

Hi Lisa---Try....

Signature TieDye #99011

King Tut Joseph's Coat #918

Both are cotton and 40 weight. Both have the full rainbow of colors. The Tut is a shorter color change interval at about 1 inch.

I bet Rainbows has a spectrum-colored cone--I just don't happen to own it! Good luck on your search!

for primarys (red, blue, and yellow) i like Maxi-Lock's Rainbow Swirl. it's a poly, but i've never had a problem running it. plus it can be found at JoAnn's and Hancocks for around $4 (on sale)

someone told me that JoAnn's has stopped carring MaxiLock tho....but i know you can find it a Hancock's

Does anybody have a thinner cotton that they found works well? I find Kingtut a little too thick and would like to have a thinner option. I love SoFine and use it the most but some of my customers insist on cotton no matter. I just did a king quilt e2e that took an entire cone and I had to buy a small spool for a few extra bobbins. She wanted it top and bottom! I wound 25 bobbins.

It was a panto from Urbanelementz - hyacinth I think. It was a pretty dense panto and I went through 2+ bobbins for each pass. The quilt was 120" wide. The bobbins were wound very tight. I have the turbo winder. I said one or two bad words doing that quilt. She wanted Kingtut top and bottom and nothing else.

Lisa, YLI carries a varigated thread that I like. It is actually called primary. It is about the same weight as KingTut. I use it because it is more available to me than Superior thread. I love the YLI varigated threads, so many to choose from.

I am curious too Heidi, what size of quilt would take 25 bobbins?

I have one cone of Signature variegated. Its in browns and I LOVE it, but I can never get the tension to work consistently.:( I get it out and try it every time I do a practice piece, but no luck. I do like King Tut, but haven't even considered using it in the bobbin...yikes...!!

Originally posted by DoryJM

I have one cone of Signature variegated. Its in browns and I LOVE it, but I can never get the tension to work consistently.:( I get it out and try it every time I do a practice piece, but no luck. I do like King Tut, but haven't even considered using it in the bobbin...yikes...!!

Signture and YLI threads I have always used a HUGE amount of Sewers Aid on them...then they work just fine, but I soak them before I even start an then adjust the tension... There is just enough drag on the cotton threads that I need the lub on it.

Originally posted by KerryM

Heidi, I just did a 120x120 quilt using the hyacinth panto, and used only 15 bobbins. what size of panto are you using? or is it just because it is King Tut that you are using so many bobbins?

It was because it was Kingtut. If I had used soFine I probably wouldn't have used more than 15 either.

I'm really confused reading all this info about threads. I have been told (or strongly suggested to me) not to use Signature because it is too linty and not of good quality; not to use Maxi-Lock because it is a serger thread and not strong enough. Now I'm reading from all you professionals that you use both (and some I haven't considered). It's also been suggested not to use threads with a core with an outside wind-around.

Is there something that should not be used? can anything be used? or is it mainly driven by cost and / or personal preference?

Originally posted by sewlinzi

I've actually got a Coats Star cotton thread that works amazingly well - it's very cheap!

Linzi, Star and Signature are both made by the same company and pretty much the same thread just different package...if you can find Star its always cheaper...and just as good. Comes in just about every color Signature does.

Jabaro Designs - This issue of what type of thread to use comes up every so often here. When I took a class from Sue Patton, she felt that there was no thread that we couldn't use, you just need to use the type of thread that will be best for the project that you are working on. I was given a whole box of serger thread and I'm using it when the color works for me. I was also given a whole box of Valdani thread and I will use that when the colors are needed or the quilt needs that type of thread. I got the same info that you did when I first got my machine and in a perfect world, it is good to buy the best, but sometimes we have to use the best that we have, or can afford. Most of your customers will have the final say though. If they want cotton, that is what you use, unless you can gently suggest to them something that you already have on hand. I did just have to order a specific thread for a customer and that's ok too. Don't get hung up on the rules cause weren't they all made to be broken??:o;)

Originally posted by Jabaro Designs Now I'm reading from all you professionals that you use both (and some I haven't considered).

Not everyone uses Maxi Lock thread. I don't and probably won't. I know a lot of quilters who do use it and they say if it can run through a serger that stitches very fast, it should be strong enough for quilting. I just don't know if I agree with that.

Signature thread is a very good thread. It does have more lint than Superior, but it is a good thread. Signature is thicker, so depending on the look you are going for would determine the brand of thread.

If you have a customer who is dead set on using 100% cotton in their quilts then you would want to use that - then you get lint. My customer's do not get a choice. They leave their quilts with me and I do what I want. It has worked for 5 years, I don't want stop now. When they try to tell me what to use, I feel like I am being micro managed.

It could be a personal preference. I started out using Signature in most quilts. Then I went to Superior and that is where I have stayed. I love Superior thread. So I have both of these brands in my drawer, but hardly ever use the Signature.

I am an equal opportunity thread user-upper. I don't have any serger thread, but I have a selection of signature and valdani and because it is 100% cotton of course it is going to be linty. But it is very nice and quilts up beautifully. I also have some YLI and some Robison Anton that is super nice to quilt with. I also have a nice selection of signature pixels (love that stuff) and metallic and also Rainbows, Lava, Brytes, So Fine and bottom line. I also recently acquired some Sulky Poly Neon and plan to play with that stuff, too.

So, there are no rules on what threads to use. Whatever you want to do, have fun! :)

Thanks for the info Patty Jo and Mary Beth. My original plans were to use King Tut for customers' cotton choices and Bottom Line or Sew Fine for the poly selections. Now I'm somewhat rethinking it. I realize I'll have more lint with cotton but was told that Signature is a lot more linty than King Tut and I wouldn't like using it. I also read (can you tell I'm new to this? haha) that if you using quilt shop quality fabrics, the best in threads (Superior?) should also be used. I'm starting to ramble to solve my dilemma so I'll stop. Any other comments would be welcome!

Well, I absolutely love Superior threads! But,,,that said, I have to be fair and say that there are a lot of VERY nice (equally nice) threads out there for us to choose from. We are at a time and place in this industry where a lot of quality materials are available for us to choose from. Don't narrow it down to one or two choices or you might be missing out. Really.

I use King Tut; I use Signature. When using signature, I just blow out the bobbin assembly with every bobbin change. No biggie. It's OK. It quilts very nicely. Signature is a quality thread. I use a 4.0 needle with the heavy cotton threads.

But if you are just starting out with quilting, I would suggest you buy a few cones of Superior thread products and get some practice in. Superior threads are very good, but not the only choice in town. after a while, spread your wings and experiment with other threads. We have a smorgasbord of threads to use that are all very very nice!!

There are no rules period. If someone says you have to do this or you have to use that, don't believe them for a second. No rules. Only FUN! :)

Superior threads always live up to their name. I like their Rainbow varigated. On occasion when I need a certain color, I have even run Coats and Clark from Hancock fabrics through the Millie.

Have to say the Millie is one fantastic machine...it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin no matter what you do to it.

Bonnie, I never knew that Coats and Signature came from the same factory! In the UK can get Coats Star easily but not Signature...!

OK - just checked price... King Tut is £5.60 per 500yd or $9

Coats Star is £10 per 1200yd or $16

I get a slight wholesale discount in UK for Superior

I get a better deal wholesale from USA but have to pay shipping but we seldom get to see these threads in person - (except at Festival of Quilts and then I get so overwhelmed I don't buy anything!!)

Oh, and don't even get me started on the price of diesel:o

Archived