Taking Quilt Photos

Grammie

What is your approach to Photographing your quilt tops? Do you have a photo setup or do you take them outside? Mine are not that great so I want to set up something so that I can get Detail in my photos. I noticed that some appear to have the lights off but use a spot light. This seems to give better detail photo.

Anyway, What is your approach?

Grammie

When I take close-up photos I get the best results if the quilt is still on the frame. I can side light it with my gooseneck light, or use the sunlight coming through the side window along with a flash if that's what the camera decides. I don't have a photo stand, so when I take an overall shot, its on the guest bed with sunlight for a side light. It works ok, unless the quilt is bigger than the bed. I think one of those photo stands with some side lighting is the best option though. I have noticed that the goosneck light gives some odd colors to some of the fabrics though.

I have a large doorway into my studio that I have put a long curtain rod with those clippy curtain rings on. Luckily it is near a large window/sliding door combo, so I get lots of natural side light.

And regarding the gooseneck sidelight, try a REVEAL brand bulb, they are more natural and show more like daylight, and not so yellow. I have them in almost ALL my lamps, they are great.

I also like to hang something when I am getting ready to do it next so I can just "chew" on it a bit..........

post--13461897810091_thumb.jpg

Archived