CUSTOMER WANTS QUILT BACK

Even though it is an old post, it still raises an issue we all have to deal with when quoting to our customers. Ioften have to remind myself to be strong when faced with this.

We all can not afford a Ferrari, a Mercedes, a BMW or even a shiny new Ford. The car dealer is not going to sell you a new car at a discount or for used-car price just because you can't afford it at full price.....or because you ask for the same price that the guy on the corner will sell his hunk-o-junk for.

If you take your car in for a much needed new transmission but all you can budget is a no-frills oil change...you're not getting the new transmission just because!!!!

I am still amazed that piecers think we will give the new BMW for a used Yugo price.

Being nice is completely seperate from pricing fairly, though we can do both!

Just my two cents.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

Hey gals this was in 2006. Looks like one of my beginner posts was brought back. lol

For the record this customer did in deed become one of my most loyal customers. It wasn't long before she couldn't stand not having a professional quilt at show and tell.

Funny how things turn out.

Hugs Grammie Tammie

This is from 2006. lo

Customer did become one of my most loyal customers. Couldnt stand all the other quilters having those beautiful quilts at show and tell. In fact one of her quilts won a RIBBON at our local guild show.

Just goes to show you need to be true to yourself. Peer pressure does wonders. lolol

Cool huh.

Hugs Grammie Tammie

Ya gotta love customers like this!(or not) Had one lady take a quilt back because her daughter, 60 miles away, found some quilter that was cheaper. Had another one that told me that I was 'way too high priced and that so-and-so did quilting for her much cheaper AND included the batting. :mad::mad: And there are quilters out there that do quilting really, really cheaply. I refuse to do that. You did the right thing.

I recently had a lovely older woman bring me a quilt that she had made 40 years ago but never had it quilted. It was a lovely quilt top and well worth having finished so she left it with me and I put her on the list. One week later the woman's daughter came in and asked for the quilt back. When I asked if there was a problem, she said that her Mother was going blind very quickly and probably couldn't see that quilt anyway and thought she was wasting her money on something that she wouldn't be able to appreciate and she certainly didn't want it when she was gone, after all it was 40yrs old!!!

Originally posted by delld

What a sad story. I wonder what the real reason was? :(:(:(

Hmmm indeed.....some of the tales that they weave to get one back is always sadder than the truth. I would almost guess money is tight and they just didn't know how to tell you that. And figured you would try to talk them out of it not to loose a sale, so instead told you want they did.:(

I've had several like this in quilting as well as in retail sales with clothes being on hold or on layaway.

This thread may have started in 2006, but I for one am glad someone brought it back. There are many new quilters out here that were not in the business until this year and this is great advice for us newbies. Thanks much for resurrecting it. I have recently been told by one of my most frequent customers that I charge too little. Maybe I should listen to her and increase my prices a bit. I am way below what Grammie mentioned back in 2006, but I think our area is cheaper all around than some others. Thanks for the info. Dar in MO:)

About 6 months ago I had a woman bring me one similar. She said she had just moved here from Oklahoma. When I told her how much it would be she said it was too much. She said she would think about it. I've not heard back and I'm really glad for that! She said she has done one for each of her grandkids when they got married and got them quilted cheaper where she came from. I really wanted to tell her to contact those quilters and mail it to one of them. My time is too valuable to deal with people who want me to do their quilting for pennies. Good for you for sending it back!!

Archived