comparison between compuquilter (APQS) & the Statlerstitcher (Gammill) pros & cons I need help

I want to buy a LA in sept, (I'm going to the trade show in Tacomma Wa.) I've seen a short video on the statler stitcher that Gammill sells ( my DH was very impressed you know boys & thier toys) and I'm wondering how it compares to the compuquilter, which one has the most / best features, & which is the most user friendly. Also do I really need another computer or can I not just get the programs & hook up my p.c. ( or maybe the laptop) to a Milli.

I would be pleased to hear from someone that may have used / tried both or at lest knows of someone ect. ect.

Thanks from Gerry in Duncan B.C. :cool:

Hi Gerry

At present CQ has 2 huge advantages over Statler. It does real corners. You can draw up a corner block and have its companion border block line up exactly with it, Statler does not have the same feature. It is so easy with CQ to draw up a block using the template provided.

The other unique feature of CQ, and maybe the best is that with CQ you open a feature called Boundaries and choose an already installed template or create your own, of the actual perimeter of the space you want to place a design (motif or repeat pattern) into. You are not limited to four corners as you are with Statler. You can create a perimeter of any shape, double wedding ring centre, melon, any size at all, all types of triangles, then choose a motif and resize it on the screen, placing it inside the perimeter exactly where you want it. No maths whatsoever, you can see exactly how it will quilt into the space. Again, this feature is unique to CQ.

Wait until May though, at MQS the new CQ will be released, and it has two major features that will make it THE ONLY computer programme to add to your quilting machine.,

All software upgrades to CQ are free so anyone owning a CQ now will automatically be emailed the latest upgrade in May. There is also a hardware upgrade coming shortly that will make quilting so much quicker with CQ.

The other major consideration is that only CQ can only be added to APQS machines.

You do need to use the computer supplied by SD stitches and APQS to run CQ and it is advisable that this computer is not used for any other programms or linked to the internet.

Good luck with your choice.

Sue in Australia

Hi Gerry

Sue in Australia here, I read my post above and think it may not be clear. I meant to say that Statler only puts their computer system onto Gammill machines now so you could not purchase an APQS machine and have a Statler.

Your question was all about which computer system to choose, so I guess you have investigated the different machines and love the features of APQS machines over the others, or maybe you already have an APQS machine, in which case you would only need an upgrade CQpackage.

If you don't already have a machine, have you looked at having CQ put on a Freedom or a Freedom SR machine, this cuts down the cost by thousands of dollars for the Freedom and around $800 (I think) for the Freedom SR.

Sue in Australia

Thanks Sue:

No I havn't bought a LA just yet. The plan is to go the trade show in Tacomma WA. in sept. & try out all the LAs I can get my hands on, but APQS is the front runner, with Gammill #2. When the brochure came for the APQS there was no info on the CQ, there is some info on the APQS web site.

When I got the Gammill l brochure it had a dvd on the statler stitcher (DH was impressed so was I ). So I was hoping that there were LAers out there that have tried both & could give me a run down on the pros & cons.

Gerry

Hi Gerry

The new literature by APQS on the CQ is just about ready to be released. I think your husband will be very impressed and gain lots of knowledge about how it works and what makes it so user friendly

I can't wait to received the free CQ upgrade.

Best wishes - hope to see you are a new CQ user very soon.

Sue in Australia

Darlene

I have hopes, that this summer I may be able to make a trip to your place in Abbotsford, my DH will be away in Alberta all summer & my boys could stay at sisters in Burnaby.

Julie McClure in Lake Cowachin has mentioned your name & has said your classes are great. I'll contact you in the summer to let you know when.... Darlene will you be at "Innovations" in Sept., it is a Machine Quilting Conference.

IS ANYONE ELSE GOING TO "INNOVATIONS" ON sEPT. 20-23 :D:cool:

Gerry,

I am a new owner of APQS Milli and on the 10th of March had the CQ installed. I shopped for over two years before choosing my machine. Some things I considered when comparing the machines and software were

1. WEIGHT- I have a metal plate in my right forearm.

2. APQS had the least Vibration in my experience.

3. I could add the CQ at a later Date without some RETRO COST. (With the Gammill and Statler its a NOW OR NEVER unless you have money to waste and want to get SS later)

4. APQS is AMERICAN MADE. That was important to me.

5. I must admit the Folks that were working at the APQS booth were very informative and well exhibited such enthusisum about their machines.

6. I test drove it and well that was it. I loved the way it felt and liked the TABLE set up. It was love at first SIGHT!!

Whatever you choose, Test drive them all and you will make a confident decision.

PS. Compuquilter is just wonderful. I was concerned about spending the money and I couldn't be happier that I have. The owners of CQ have some great things in store for their owners. Upgrades are free. I'm very excited about the future of CQ. And don't forget this wonderful site for support. You just can't beat that!!!:P;):cool:

Good Luck

Grammie Tammie

Hi Gerry

I will be attending Innovations in September. You will love it - the classes, the vendors and the quilts!!

I bought my Millie at Innovations in 2003. Hard to believe I have been "playing" for two years now (didn't get to turn her on until 2004).

sammi

Hi Gerry,

I will be at Innovations along with Mark Caraher and Sherry Rodgers. For sure come by and see us for a test drive and have your questions answered. Will your husband be coming along with you? Just wondering because if he likes toys like you said he will probably be impressed with our machines! We always try to create a nice comfortable environment with out pressure and give as much information & time as you need.

Look forward to meeting you!

Cheryl

Hi Gerry,

I should be home most of the summer. I may have 3 of my grandkids for a couple of weeks, but that's no problem. They're great kids! The 8 year old could probably demonstrate the machine for you. :) The little girls just love to sit up to the Liberty and play. Even the 3 year old has had a go at it. I cut their first efforts into little wallhangings. Madeleine stitched her own name on hers.

I think you'll be so impressed by both the Millie and the Compu-Quilter. And no product is any better than the company that stands behind it. You can be assured that APQS is fabulous at customer support. I've heard the "guys" say over and over again. "We want happy customers". The great thing is........they really mean it!

About Innovations. I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. My Dad's birthday always seems to be the same weekend, and at 88 years of age, every birthday becomes more precious. Did I mention that I have the BEST dad in the whole wide world?! :)

Would love to see you this summer. Just give me a call to arrange a date and I'll have "Adonis" all ready to meet you. ;)

Archived