Question for Mary Beth

I remember reading a while back that you and your DH added soft mounts, moved the front axle, and put on new wheels. I was wondering if you noticed a big improvement in the way your machine handled?

Thanks.

Linda

In a word...yes....it was much easier to move. I put the black wheels on from APQS. That being said, I tried a new Millie out at MQS with Edge Riders....that is the way I would go if I had it to do over. I would still move the wheels forward, but I would put the Edge Riders on.

John Mitchell from Country Lane Quilting http://www.countrylanequilting.com/ suggested to me that I move the front axle forward on my machine. I haven't done it yet, but he may be of some help. I read on another post that he is on vacation for a couple of weeks but you could send an email to him, else call in a couple weeks.

I'll be on vacation in a few days. I’ll have the laptop and will check my email. On the older machines the machine was not balanced on the carriage. The factory added the soft mounts, black wheels, and relocated the front axle forward 5 1/4 inches. This was a great improvement. You can buy upgraded axles and wheels or with a special tool (I purchased to modify the axles to accept the soft mounts) I can modify the axles to accept the soft mounts, add soft mounts and then just move the front axle forward. I have probably modified 20 or so machines this way. Even if you keep the brown wheels this is still a great improvement. (I’m not sure the black wheels are better that the old brown ones). On our Freedom I just did the axles, soft mounts and kept the old wheels. The results have been great and the modified machine moves like the current production.

John

John Mitchell did this work on my Millennium....moved the front axel forward and added soft mounts - maybe about 3 or so years ago. I think my machine is a 2004 model.....anyway, I was very glad I had that done because it made a big difference in the way the machine felt during high speed stitching.

I also changed to the black wheels - not sure that was totally worth it, tho. I've heard the edgeriders are great.....but I've not tried them myself.

Mary Beth,

Thanks for your reply. Did you get the new axle with the soft mounts or did you just add the soft mounts to the original axle? If you added them, did you use the special tool that John Mitchell mentioned? I have been considering the edge riders over the black APQS wheels. I figured that the price for the them is about the same and the edge riders are getting such great reviews. I mentioned all this to my DH and his eyes started to glaze over! We'll probably have to get DS to help when we get around to taking care of this which I hope is sooner rather than later. Right now I'm having real difficulty in controlling and enjoying my Millie.

John,

Thanks for your input. I wish that I could get you to modify my machine, but I don't think that DH would appreciate me sending it so far away. We live in Central PA. At this time I don't plan on going into business and want to use it for my own quilts and those that my DD and DDinL make. I bought a used machine (2002) from an individual who lived close enough for us to pick it up. Cost and convenience were definitely a factor in the purchase. It makes really nice stitches and is in excellent shape. It had been well cared for and used some in a part-time business, but mostly for personal use. I'm sure that I will be very happy with it when I make these few upgrades.

I hope that you are enjoying your vacation!

Linda

Linda,

We did the modificaiton ourselves. Amy from APQS told me what to do and we just followed her instructions. Yes, I know that "glazed over" look...I get it from my DH all the time. It was really no big deal....for me :) The softmounts came with new axles.

You should really consider the Edge Riders. At least check into it before you make a final decision. Everyone seems to love them. Like I said, I tried them on a new Millie at MQS...wow...I wish I had tried them before I bought my black wheels. Not to dis APQS products, but those ER wheels are great.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Sherri,

Be glad you didn't try that new Millie with the edge riders at MQS...I was looking at the balance in my checking account, just wondering if DH would miss a few thousand $$ ;) It was very, very nice!!

I almost spewed diet pepsi all over the computer and up my nose when I read this. I did manage to get some slopped on the front of my shirt. Time for a clean shirt. Mary Beth warn me please before you crack jokes. ;)

Mary Beth,

Thanks. I'll need to call APQS this week sometime. We have a full schedule, but hopefully I'll be able to get to it.

I'm sure that I'll get the edge riders if I get new wheels. John stated that even the old brown wheels worked better when the axle was moved and the soft mounts added, but DH will probably figure that if we're going to all the trouble of changing the axle, we might as well do the wheels at the same time. It probably would be a good idea because I hate to think about telling him that the wheels need replaced shortly after he gets it all put back together. It would not be a "good thing" as Martha would say.

Linda

OK, so can you just move the front axle that is on the machine forward or do you need the the modified with the soft mounts? What are the soft mounts anyway? Sounds like something, uh, I better not say. I currently have the black wheels on my Millie.

My machine came with the brown ones and when I had the hydraulic lift installed, he put on the new black wheels. I think one of them has gone bad. I can feel a little "thump" when I move it from back to front. I probably got new axles then, I think I remember sending back the old ones. Gee, wish I could remember:(

PS: John, I just want you to know how much I appreciate all your helpfulness. YOU, my man, are a real jewel!

Thanks for the kind words Norma. Look between your axles and the machine if you see a blue "washer" this is the soft mount system. If you axle has been moved it will be under he Thread Cutter. It is very easy to move the axles and I have guided several people through the process. To put the soft mounts on the older axles is a bit more difficult. I don't remember what upgraded axles cost but probably more than the upgrade especially if you have the black wheels. I have had more black wheels go bad than I ever had with the brown ones. I don't think there is a reason, this is just what happens. You might try flipping you wheel over and use the other edge.

So I just looked at my Milli and I have the black wheels but no blue soft mounts and the axle is back.. not under the thread cutter. I checked on the parts list on APQS and didn't see a price for new axle.

I have been having trouble with the encoder wheel slipping and keep fiddling with it. I am wondering if moving my axle might be worth my while.

John, are adding the blue soft mounts and moving the axle something a very handy DH can do....what is the tool you talked about using to do this (we have a huge shop full of all sorts of strange tools). Would enjoy more information about this process.

Thanks

Sue

John,

I was wondering the same thing that Sue did about a handy husband adding the soft mounts to the existing axle. My husband has a whole garage full of tools.

Thank you for all the help and advice that you give here on this forum.

Linda

If you will look at the bottom of your axle you will find that the screws that hold them to the machine are in a countersink hole. You have to countersink the top of the axle to accept the soft mounts. I bought a special tool to countersink the holes correctly. I will install the soft mounts on your axle for $75 including the soft mounts plus return postage and insurance if you want it.

John

Archived