My Challenge

Stitches

A lady approached me at work wanting me to quilt a flannel quilt for her nephews graduation. I explained that I am very new to quilting! In fact, I'm not sure that I am ready to quilt for others, but she is OK with this. I will do a simple meander. What batting would you suggest for a flannel top and backing? I have no experience with flannel, so any suggestions are welcome. ;)

TIA,

Donna

HI Donna,

The pieced top of flannel can be a little stretched, but other than that it quilts up really nicely. I really like the stitching on flannel. Some seam intersections may be a little thick, but it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I might use like a hobbs 80/20, since it is a little lighter with a front and back of flannel.

If they want it really warm then go with a 100% cotton, like hobbs 100% cotton with scrim, or warm and natural

HTH:)

I was really scared to try my first all flannel quilt. I wanted it a little heavier so it would be cuddly and warm. I used a thicker poly cotton. There were no problems with the flannel. I just did a simple pantograph.:) I thought that it might be hard. In fact it was only my 3rd quilt I have done on my machine. Just to let you know how new I am I just took off my 5th quilt. So I'm a really new. Good Luck

I used Warm and Natural on the flannel quilt. If the flannels are a good quality, you should have no problem quilting. The last flannel quilt I did was a joy to quilt, the flannels were quite soft and it felt like quilting thru butter.

I have both done freehand and edge to edge on flannel quilts and have had no problems. Just make sure that all three layers are smooth as the flannel wants to stick to the batting and it could be easy to have a wrinkle in the batting if you don't check it each turn of the quilt.

Char

I also generally use Hobbs 80/20 -- the last one I used 100% Wool and it was awesome. I've quilted many flannel quilts and the only time I have had problems was when the customer used 'cheap' flannels. I also had one that was made with lots of stars and the center points were really high so I was very careful there. Someone told me to dampen those high centers and hit them with a hammer - never tried it myself, but plan to when then next one like that comes in. Good luck and most of all, have fun!

Sue

I love flannel quilts. I quilted a 90" x 100" Snails Trail quilt using Warm & Natural with an all over design. I was very happy the way it turned out. One thing I would have changed was the batting. It quilted beautifully, but was very heavy. Up until this quilt, most of my flannel quilts were lap or throw size where the weight was not as noticable. The large quilt would make a nice bedspread type quilt, but would be heavier than I like to sleep under. I think Warm & Natural now has a 30/70 batting that I think I will use next time I do a large quilt.

I have done many flannel quilts with Hobbs Poly down lite - looks really nice

and feels great! I like the "puffier" look in spots - and it does not get real

heavy. I too do not like to lift a quilt that breaks your back!

I just did a very nice T-shirt quilt with a great flannel back. You have to

watch the back too, especially if it has seams. These can pucker, bind, and

or stretch. Some people perfer to make their own backing, but I have found

that I can keep them nice and square, and have a lot less problems then

when quilting it if I make it for them.

I would rather charge them a little bit to make a back, then struggle and

get frusterated working with something that is so out-of-square, or even

have to cut and sew the seams again. Much easier working with yardage!

Keep in mind the whole "PITA" thingy...

P.S. Watch the seams when rolling on the machine too - bulk.

Archived