Cutting Tables

kennan100

I know that everyone has somewhat different requirements for cutting tables depending upon how much space is available, room arrangement, etc. As machine quilters what is your table like? Do you have enough space for quilt intake, measuring, and squaring backs? What would you change about it? What size works best for business purposes? Do you have drawers? Maybe built in battiing or backing bolt storage? An ironing space. attached or on one end? Does it collapse to be put away when not in use? What is a good size for the top surface? What height? If you could, or have, designed your own what would you do? Did you buy one? Where? What brand?

I have no space for the one I liked using the best. We used to have a large room that housed a 96 X 72 inch cuttin table. It was great for taking in quilts because we could lay them out for measuring and also see if there were any problems while the customer was still there.

It was also great for laying out t-shirt quilts. We stored extra rolls of batting under it and we hung our backing material from each end. White on one end, off white on the other end. I would love to have that space again. I now work from the cutting table with drop leaf sides. Hope this helps.

My DH made my cutting table out of you-assemble cabinets from Home Depot. (About $60 to $80 per cabinet depending on if it has drawers or shelves.) I like this table because 1) it's high enough that I don't have to bend over to cut (bad back) 2) I have storage underneath for my fabric stash, rulers, etc. with movable shelves. At the present time it's 30" x 48" with a 4 ' top; however, I'm planning on adding 2 more cabinets to one end. With this extra area I'm going to add a large ironing surface so I don't have to move back and forth between the ironing board and the cutting table. I can spread out a quilt enough to get a good idea of what it looks like and/or get an idea what quilting design will look good.

post--13461902116513_thumb.jpg

Wow, the table Joyce gave up sounds like heaven! And I actually have the space for it. But then I wouldn't be able to put up the extra tables for my quilting guests.

I have a Horn cutting table. http://www.hornofamerica.com/products.cfm?cat=Craft&func=view&pID=84 The one in the middle. It's a good height and I like the size of the top. I also have some folding tables I got at Lowes that I put together to give me a large surface for spreading out quilts. They are also useful as sewing tables for sew days.

Kenna, Here is a picture of my cutting table with a smaller cabinet that tucks under the end for extra storage. It is a cabinet that we bought at Lowes (24 deep x 38 wide). DH put a Large tile top on it and finished the sides with bead board and then trimmed it out with some moldings. I also had it put on wheels so that it is movable. The height is 37" which is just right for me so my low back problems don't show up when I'm standing and cutting for a long time. The total cost was under $400 but I can't remember exactly how much. We made this before my Millie was even thought of, so we made it to go in the kitchen and look good with my cabinets. I stored all my small appliances in it and put the tile on the top so I could set hot stuff out of the oven on it. Now, it has my large cutting mat on it all the time and I usually have to clean it off a bunch to be able to use it to cut anything on. :)

2468996100094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

We built my cutting table with leftovers from building my sewing center. We used sheets of Melamine available at Home Depot and designed as we went. It has two leaves that fold out. I only leave one leaf up most of the time. It is high enough that there is no bending over for this old girl. It has a 36" mid section that has two shelves. Each will hold two full rolls of Warm and White batting. I use one shelf for that and the other for packaged batts and misc. My pressing center is made with two "hobby cabinets" and a large padded board on top. Also high enough for no stooping. Here are a couple of pictures and there are more on my webshots.

Good luck with your planning.

2796228400098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2623262540098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

Barb, I have to know...what's in the safe????

And Lynda, your set up is to die for!! And your pressing station too. One thing I'm copying from you is putting my bookcase/fabric storage units on wheels. That way, I can move them all over! Terrific idea. I'm going to have 450 Sq.Ft. to play in, although I do have to share with my husband and it will have a tiny bathroom, but still...its going to be so much fun!!

Plus, I just saw your vaccuum unit at Costco the other day....its very intriguing.

Kenna..sorry...didn't even answer your question:(

I have a re-purposed digitizing table that is almost 5' square that I use now for cutting and I have the table from Joanne's with the leaves that fold up to make it 3x6 (I think--bought it at 50% off and no shipping!). I plan to put them together when I do quilt intake...hopefully that will give me tons of space.

Originally posted by DoryJM

Barb, I have to know...what's in the safe????

I am going to guess that safe is filled with lots n lots of $$$ cold, hard cash $$$ she's saving to buy her new Freedom SR! ;):D

And, it also probably holds all of her guns that DH buys for her. Whattayathink?

I currently have my eyes on a used ping pong table that my coworker is selling for very very cheap (nearly free). I plan on converting this into a cutting table / ironing board table.

Dory, the vacuum is fabulous. It has 30' of hose so it even goes down the stairs without having to lug the whole machine. I can't imagine going back to the old one now.

The storage units on wheels really worked out well to. Although I don't move them around much I do pull them out very often to get to the stash in the back. It really gave me a huge amount of storage space on a smaller amount of wall space.

Lynda, I drool over your studio...:)

We haven't decided yet what flooring we're going to use. If we go with a low nap (is that the right terminology?) carpet, I may very well get the vacuum. If we do a laminate, probably not. The plan now is to not let the dogs in the studio at all, so at least I won't have tons of dog-hair/dust bunnies to chase!:D

When my sister comes to sew, I'll have to move the bookcases, so the wheel thing is perfect! I'm also thinking of getting some of those caster things they advertise on TV and putting them on the LA. That way, I could push it back closer to the wall so we'd have more room.

I am going to guess that safe is filled with lots n lots of $$$ cold, hard cash $$$ she's saving to buy her new Freedom SR! ;):D And, it also probably holds all of her guns that DH buys for her. Whattayathink?

:P:P You're so funny but pretty close on the second guess! I've been telling everybody that my extra special fabric stash is in the safe! There are guns in the safe but his not mine. I have to share the space because there was no way a 600 pound safe was going up the stairs into the house! :P Plus the GD is old enough to get into things and I won't have a gun in the house unless it's locked in the safe.

As for the money, it's gone! Wired to APQS on Monday and the new Freedom should be here by the end of next week!!! :P:P I'm doing the happy dance while clearing out the space for the new baby.

I see parts I like in all of these. Mostly I like all the windows with views! I might have to limit windows inmy someday studio, I'd spend to much time gazing out the windows instead of paying attention to what I'm working on. I can just see beautiful pebbles and the one thread heavy one sticking up in the middle where I just kept going around and around while I daydreamed out the window, just stacking up thread in one spot!

I was thinking about something big enough to have bolts of backing standing upright like in the quilt shops, rolls of batting hanging under it on closet poles. It would make it easy to pull batting off the roll, up and onto the top for cutting. Have drawers for dodads and gadgets. A collapsable end for ironing so the ironed portion could slide away across the table in front of you.. A section closet deep with a closet pole for hanging tops in waiting with doors to keep them hidden. I wouldn't want too many around at one time so that wouln't have to be huge.

Lynda, where did you get those units for your ironing center? I like those. Drawer and doors work fo me. I like things hbidden and put away. PJ, I like your table with the tile top, too.. With the DSM on it.

Barb I like the idea you have for your center, too, you can add on or rearrange that. Good idea!

My BIL is a custom cabinet maker, and does beautiful work. I let him marry my sister and father her five kids...he owes me one!

This is mine. Both pieces came from IKEA 6yrs ago .... the bottom part was displayed as a sink, stove and counter top. The top is formica 38 x 74. Total cost was about $150 if I remember correctly.

I have commercial grade indoor/outdoor carpet so it slides nicely if I want to pull it out.

If the photo doesn't work ... see

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1085748732040927248ACqKvi

post--13461902120815_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by kennan100

Barb, did you get to keep the motorcycle?!

Yes, the motorcycle is still here. Even though he says it's mine, I'm only allowed to ride it not sell it! :) It's one of three of his babies!! So...that means he cleans it and maintains it too! Funny how he managed to find the money to help me buy the Freedom when I mentioned selling the trike and my stocks! :P:P

My dream table is to take 4 "under the counter" kitchen cabinets and place 2 one each side, back to back, then cover with plywood and a cutting mat. I would put those coaster rollers on the corners so I could move it if I needed to rearrange. I was going to also cover a board with batting and an ironing board cover that could hang on the end so I could use when needed. So much for dreams! I don't have enough room for this in my studio. Have to come up with something else. It's a good trade off, though. Love having the studio!

Kenna, you gotta have windows!:D You need a place to look when you do look up that isn't just a wall--unless there's a gorgeous quilt on it!;)

I originally wanted the 30' yurt, but we had to insurmountable problems: 1) meeting snow load would have been outrageously expensive and 2) not enough room. The 24' barely fits where we're putting it. Its forced me to be creative, but it will be so nice to sleep in a bedroom again.

My MIL is doing really well and she really isn't much trouble to have around. Biggest issue is finding a "sitter" when we go out of town, but since she doesn't require 24-hour care, it only has to be someone that can come in and get her meals & meds organized. She spends the majority of her time in her room watching TV. She comes out at dinner and we all watch Jeopardy while we eat; then she says goodnight and goes back to her room. Its like having a really well-behaved child...sort-of.

Hope things work out well for you and your mom. I think its easier for me because Donna isn't my mom...

I'm sitting here in awh and envy of all the big wonderful clean n' organized sewing spaces I've seen here this morning. I have the space but due to small rooms I need to occupy 3 rooms. One for the DMS and some stash. One for Ima my long Arm. Then my cutting table and more stash is in the basement along with the ironing board. No wonder I feel as though I'm going in circles:D:D Although I wish for more, I'm just sew thankful for what I have.

Dory, my DB and SIL sold their house and now live in a yurk. They love it.

Terry

http://terryquilter.blogspot.com

Kennan,

The ironing center units were purchased as knocked down pieces from Fred Meyers which would be like an unscale walmart I guess. Not sure where you are. The come from a company called Chaparrel furniture, part number 927W1 and are called "Hobby Stations". I googled them once for someone and did find them available.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I am building a new cutting table to replace my current flolding table. I have two kitchen base cabinets I save from our kitchen remodel. I am making it a three in one unit: I placed lights where the drawers were in the bases and place a heavy piece of glass on the top (light box), I am making a removable top that goes over the glass top. This removable top will have two sides (flip), one a cutting board and the other side an ironing board. I have limit space in my studio and this new unit takes up the same amount of room as my folding table. But once finished I will have a large light box and a larger surface for ironing tops and backing with out pulling out a standard size ironing board each time. I will post pictures once it is finished.

Archived