My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to jump in because yesterday I had to get more fabric to complete the "summer garden Mystery" quilt that I have been appliquing for a year. My DH did not understand that the 2 closests and dresser did not have the right colors.:P:P:P Yes it is an addiction... but at least he benefits from it once in a while.

I also visited back home a couple of weeks ago and between mom and my sister I came back with 2 large black garabage bags of quilt materials! :cool::cool: Yes, they go out and shop garage and estate sales and pick up fabric for me. They are " enablers" to my addiction. :P:P:P

Push the button..... Just think one day you will regret that you did not buy that extra material which would have been just perfect.

I'm keeping Monika's picture as proof to hubby that I really don't have a problem! LOL Monika that is a lot of fabric. I'm not a huge stash person. I do have a few bolts but they are all background or backing fabrics and I'm starting to get those under better control. I honestly don't like having lots of stuff hanging around. I always go out and buy new when I start a new project. Lately I've bought more for my stash than I have in years. It is time for me to clean things out and get them organized again!

I feel all ya'lls pains...for I, too, am a fabriaholic, but not as much as my friend, Pat (and no, that's not an imaginary friend)!:P She once told me to buy stock in Rubbermaid (you know those bins we use to "hide" our stashes).:D

So I'm helping Brenda Shreve from Brenda's Red Barn work her booth demo'ing Lenni today at our quilt guild's quilt show in Dewey, OK. Do you think she'll let me take a break to shop the vendors that just so happened to bring all the beautiful fabrics and gadgets to supply my addiction?

Today I received Judy Martin's newsletter and she describes us fabriholics to a T- :P

"Steve and I have been working on creating a game, a quilt game. After kicking around a lot of ideas, making prototypes, testing them, and then scrapping them as unworthy, we think we finally have something. It’s called Quilt Show. We whipped up another prototype and ran over to our local quilt show to get it playtested. We were pleased with the results and are more excited than ever about the game.

I’ve mentioned games numerous times before, but I doubt if most of you realize what a quirky subculture this is. When most people think of games, they think of one of three things: childhood games that should only be played with children (Chutes and Ladders and Mouse Trap, to name a couple); mass market adult games (Monopoly, Risk, or Trivial Pursuit); or card games (rummy, pinochle, or hearts). By and large, that’s NOT the gaming subculture.

No, these people spend a lot of money buying new games. They go to game conventions. They play games every chance they get. They import German-language games from Germany just so they don’t have to wait 5 months for the English version to come out.

Does this kind of behavior sound familiar? I bet it describes you and your quilting habit! You’ve all probably had an encounter with someone who didn’t begin to comprehend how much money you spend on your quilting addiction. They didn’t understand your difficulties in finding new places to store all your accumulated fabric, book, and notion treasures. They were flummoxed about how you couldn’t walk into a quilt store and leave without plunking down some cash for the latest fabric, even though you already have more fabric than you’ll ever use in your lifetime."

DH walked into my studio while my batiks were out on the floor around me. His mouth fell open and the he said the awful words. "You do NOT need any more fabric!"

He also is questioned the logic of doing dropoff/pickup at a LQS.

I don't think he would have ever said anything if the movers had not complained about the number of heavy boxes that were coming out of my studio only to find out that they were all full of fabric. ;)

Oh well, I am delivering a quilt today and I know that I will not walk out of that store without buying something.

When I really want to fluster him I just start planning another quilt trip. Right now, I am working on my plans for Houston.

Hi Dory - I am a fabric collector, I am actively collecting and saving fabric for my retirement, when I may not have the funds to do so, you just never know! And as a benefit of my savings I will have years to look at, touch, stack and restack my savings. lol :D Its only money, hit the button and place the order and wait for you package to arrive, it will be Christmas in July!

You can never be to thin or have to much fabric! :P:D;)

My name is Pamela and I too am a fabriholic. I have to do my best to stay out of the LQS as it is so dangerous to my plastic. I love to hold, fondle, and smell new fabric in addition to just how it could be used to make a wonderful quilt. I am now retired and am really trying hard not to buy more fabric but there is always a project that needs just the right shade and texture to make a nice quilt great.

Well I got to go now, I need to check out my favorite on line stores...

Pamela

Ladies, I think I need to join your fabric-aholic group. We have been in our house for over 23 years and my husband has given up on ever being able to use our master bath room again. I'm sure he has forgotten where the toilet even is. I have converted our master bathroom into a fabric storage room. I put insulated panels on the window to keep out the sun. (Wouldn't want the fabric to get faded on the folds.) and put shelving up along the wall. I have my fabric sorted by color on these shelves. The white-on-whites are on a shelf over the back of the toilet. The black-on-blacks are on the toilet. The large backing pieces are on the cabinet. I never keep my fabric on bolts. That takes up too much space that I can use for more fabric. Besides that you start bringing bolts into the house and run the chance of being questioned on just how much fabric you did just buy. I usually leave my purchaes in the car until I can sneak them into the house when no one is looking. Yes, I too can use a 10 or 12 step program but then I'd have no fun buying more fabric.

Dory I hope you pushed that button yesterday.

this thread has just been too much fun.

Hi I am Bekah and I am a fabriholic and darn proud of it, but after looking at Monica's stash I need to seriously go shopping, I have a baby stash in comparison and if I remove the fabric my husband has bought for the quilts he is going to make some day, I really need to shop. LOL

I love you Ladies :D:D:D. This is a great thread.

Well after seeing Monika's stash, I would say I am a wanabee Fabriholic :P:P:

In last three days when I have been on my favourite Quilting fabric website here in the UK , I keep putting stuff in my basket and then shutting the page down........ resistence is futile, it will get me in the end :P:P:P.

Do any of the UK members buy fabric from the USA ?, as over here quilt fabric averages out at about £9 a metre that about $15 US dollars.

I am a fabriholic too. I have to move my stash to another house. I have 3 5 foot cabinets. There are various plastic bins and boxes. I have to get started on making scrap quilts. Right now the fabric is in boxes in the middle of my bedroom/sewing room. I loaded the fabric in boxes by color so I can organize it when I get it to its new home. However I can't lift any of the boxes or cabinets because they are too heavy.

I worked at a fabric shop and I found that fabric that was popular went out the door fast. I worked every Sunday and I would put off getting some and it would be gone the following Sunday. So get the fabric when you can and don't feel bad about it you are just helping someone who won't buy enough and when the request goes out you can be a hero because you have the wanted fabric! What is better than that.

Charlotte

okay reasons why my stash is my retirement plan:

#1. when i retire from LAing, i'll need something to quilt. so i have my stash to piece with for my sanity

#2. (if SS still exists) i'll be living on SS income and won't be able to afford to buy any new fabric...

#3. (the best) they only make fabric once, and when it's gone- bye bye. so i have to buy it now cause if i like it, it won't be around when i 'need' it...

#4. (one more) cause i said so...:P

#5. to keep dory from buying it...

(i still can't believe she sold me out)

and with fabric like this, who can say 'nope'

post--13461902152755_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by CWBowser

I am a fabriholic too. I have to move my stash to another house. I have 3 5 foot cabinets. There are various plastic bins and boxes. I have to get started on making scrap quilts. Right now the fabric is in boxes in the middle of my bedroom/sewing room. I loaded the fabric in boxes by color so I can organize it when I get it to its new home. However I can't lift any of the boxes or cabinets because they are too heavy.

I worked at a fabric shop and I found that fabric that was popular went out the door fast. I worked every Sunday and I would put off getting some and it would be gone the following Sunday. So get the fabric when you can and don't feel bad about it you are just helping someone who won't buy enough and when the request goes out you can be a hero because you have the wanted fabric! What is better than that.

Charlotte

Charlotte,

I can always come help!

Ok, since we all admit we are crazy with fabric, and I know my DH knows I'm addicted, I started digging through my many, many copy paper boxes of fabrics. My goal is to make quilts for charity. Of my red, white, blues, they go to Quilts of Valor. I have several fun patterns that I really like to make that are good for that. I am not sure on the children charity, I really like Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity is my overall favorite charity, and also, the premie unit at the hospital where my two little nephews were born (at about 2lbs each) (they are now four and perfect little boys). They have apartments that you can "sponsor" with donations of whatever. They reminded me of my first apartment. Eek. Or, since I have gotten good with my serger, I understand that pillowcases are always in demand. I too, have fabrics from way back when (let's just say a while) that need to go to a new home.

Archived