My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

I haven't been on the computer for a few days so am just catching up.. I have read this entire thread and laughed until there were tears. My DH thought he saw my entire stash when we had the floods in February and all my 15 x 78 litre plastic bins of fabric had to be moved out of the store room (he was not impressed). He does not know about our DD's wardrobe that doubles as storage area and he couldn't figure out why DD had to buy new suitcases when we recently left home, as she already had two super sized ones, I mean really empty suitcases doesn't make sense.

I must say I really scared him when he realised that I knew the credit card number my heart, so I don't have to step away from the computer to get the card and think about whether I really want it.

So Dory from one fabriholic to another push that button and make yourself happy to have new fabric to caress and dream of quilts to come.

I really like the retirement plan, but I just have to remind DH of his motto "Happy wife Happy life"

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monika, your stash closet makes me laugh!! Wow. I;d love to sit in your closet and just look for a couple of hours. The last timeI was in Big River, I didn\\t see a quilt shop, so , it makes perfect sense for you to own that huge pile;). You're not burning up fossil fuels running to the next town or city for fabric every other day this way, are you:D This makes you the Canadian eco quilt queen. If anyone ever complains about your stash, you can tell them you're just doing your bit for the environment. I'm just a little jealous:P:P:P

You would all be sooooo proud of me. We have just finished our six week trip through the US and I did not buy any fabric at all!!!!!!!!

I only have two sewing rooms filled with this type of insulation/retirement fund plus the five crates in the garage. If you look after your stash, it will look after you. Fabric does not have a shelf life! And our political leaders have handed money to us to stimulate the economy......... therefore, it is our Duty to stimulate. They did not stipulate where we had to spend it, therefore the fabric retail section of the economy is just as good a section of the economy as any other.

Mind you, we did have to buy another suitcase because I found many, many quilting books. I was also lucky to have a class with Dawn and she sold me a whole lot of little parts for my Millie to keep at hand in my tool box. I also had to have one of her rulers.

We also had two days with Amy ............. this is time and money well spend and I would recommend to everyone. She found some other stuff that I shoulld also have for basic machine maintenance.

Amy and Dawn, for your info............ we got the "poop" through customs without any questions asked!!!

For everyone else - the "poop" is the technical term created by Amy for the grease for packing the machine, and Customs aren't normally too happy letting it through/across the Nations' borders.

Also - I had to go down into the city (an hours drive) just to be called on the mobile five minutes from the Doctor's surgery, that he nurse would not be in. Having driven all that way, I decided not to wate my time and I visited my favourite quilt store.

Did I buy fabric?????????? Off course!!! Did I need it???????? Nooooooooo. Did it make me happy?????????? It most certainly did!!

I too have been practicing your brother Dave's teachings....only here we refer to him as Uncle Dave.

The last fabric I purchased was for my 2010 MQS show quilt. I have a closet full of tubs, most full of fabric. No more fabric until I do something with what I have. You would not believe....we have a savings account for the first time in our lives!!!

Onto a funnier note...I have a brother who is so tight with his money....he has a smoker and he told my DH that when he is finished smoking the meat, he shuts the smoker down and when it is cooled, he takes the unburned or partially burned charcoal and wood out and reuses it. DH said, "Dave Ramsey would be telling Terry to spend some money!" :P:D

Originally posted by quiltlover03

Yes Dory, they are! Lots and lots of them. I just got 15 Michael Miller, and 13 Dreams by RjR.

I've been trying to get a quilt finished, so hadn't read this...but let me say:

Monika, I bow to the master!!:D:P:D

YES.....I, Linda, am a fabriholic also!! I'm afraid to show my pictures......I just sold a BUNCH at a garage sale....had over 100 patterns to sell too......... and there is much, much more still here in my basement!! :o:o:o I just went to a shop hop last week and of course, I HAD to buy the kit for the shop hop quilt!!! And a few other yards and fat quarters and patterns too...............:D Go for it, Dory!! :D linda

Hey Dori,

My name is Diana and I was and am a fabriholic. Push that button and I'll tell you why. For years I stockpiled fabric for that rainy day, and that rainy day came in Nov. My job was eliminated after 20 years employment, I am now on SS and using and loving all my fabric and projects that were stockpiled. I bought my Lenni machine with my severance money so now I can learn to finish my projects. So, now I don't need to purchase as much and I have the time to finish what I started many moons ago.

Push, push, but just don't purchase unless you can pay the bill in full when it comes.

Mountainquilter:D

Okay, guys I'm a fabri and Thread Aholic. My husband hasn't said anything yet about the fabric as I have it kind of sorted in various places. But after my last trip to Superior Threads Warehouse and he seen all that thread I was told I had enough. Now when I get home, gee I just unload my suitcase and pillow and say gee I'm too tired tonight to unload the car, even with help. Lets see I live in the sticks and St. George has 4 wonderful quilt shops that have stuff I cannot get here and the Superior Threads Warehouse. Can you say hide the car keys and make sure it is all put away before hubby gets home. Hopefully he doesn't notice the new stacking bin I have thread sorted in. What is the line, Oh gee that has been there forever, where have you been. I've actually had to contain myself lately as he has been home ALOT!!!!

Hey Dory, like I said, stockpile for a rainy day. I have a good sized house, so I have tubs in sewing room, big room, unfinished bathroom, bedroom all in the basement so as not to upset Mr. Tidy. He can get so darn picky about my projects being around but he loves the all the quilts I have decorated with. It is hard to sew in the summertime but I try to have hand projects so I can go out on the deck. When I retired ( not my choice as I wasn't finished buying fabric, hum) I made a scrap quilt of 120 blocks and each block only had 2 colors , the way it was cut made 2 blocks so I still had 120 different scrap fabrics in it. Fabric, fabric, yum, yum, have to smell, touch, and try not to drool.

Men just don't understand why it takes so much that we have to keep buying. Yippee,

Mountainquilter

Originally posted by doodlebug

okay reasons why my stash is my retirement plan:

#1. when i retire from LAing, i'll need something to quilt. so i have my stash to piece with for my sanity

#2. (if SS still exists) i'll be living on SS income and won't be able to afford to buy any new fabric...

#3. (the best) they only make fabric once, and when it's gone- bye bye. so i have to buy it now cause if i like it, it won't be around when i 'need' it...

#4. (one more) cause i said so...:P

#5. to keep dory from buying it...

(i still can't believe she sold me out)

and with fabric like this, who can say 'nope'

It makes perfect "retirement" sense to me Shannon!

I just love that fabric. I made my mom one of the Chelsea backpack purses with it and she gets so much mileage from flaunting it.

Originally posted by DoryJM

Originally posted by quiltlover03

Yes Dory, they are! Lots and lots of them. I just got 15 Michael Miller, and 13 Dreams by RjR.

I've been trying to get a quilt finished, so hadn't read this...but let me say:

Monika, I bow to the master!!:D:P:D

Remember now, ladies, that Monika buys this fabric, cuts it into tiny pieces, sews it all back together again, quilts the living daylights out of them and then sells these on Etsy for a nice profit! :)

lol Shana, I have to retort: A stash is a stash is a stash, but....

I do many custom Quilt orders for people, sell an incredible amount of Quilts on Etsy and I just opened a fabric store on Etsy as well, although I do not know when I will find time to take pictures and list fabric.

Fishing is on my priority list right now.

Thanks Heidi,

I moved the cabinets and the boxes of fabric on Saturday. I spent the time to sort it by color so it is in the cabinets mostly by color with the exception of the flannels which I put together in one cabinet. I need to find a place for the fourth cabinet which will probably be in the upstairs bedroom and then I can unload the last box.

Charlotte

Archived