2009 Millie Problems

dtreusch

I have a 2009 Millie and have notice several small problems:

Quilt Glide

When I use it, then tension changes. For example, I have the tension set perfectly when I am stitching a feather motif with the SR. Then when I turn on Quilt Glide to do a small meander around the feather the tension is too tight on top. I have changed nothing in between.

Manual Mode

I see the same kind of behavior when I change from SR to manual mode. The tension will be different and I have changed nothing. I didn't have this problem with my other machine. It was a 2005 Millie.

SR Stitches per Inch

With my new machine the SPI seem to be off. I can have the SR set at 11 and I get more line 13-15 SPI. I usually run it between 9 and 10 to get the 11 SPI. It's been like this since I got the machine back in February. Is there a way this can be adjusted?

Thanks!!

Debbi,

You can change the stitches per inch setting--it's a circuit board screw change. I just don't know which one. Give Amy or Christy a call.

As for the tension change with the Quilt Glide, remember that once you switch to manual mode, your motion impacts the needle's flex and the machine will take slightly longer or shorter stitches, depending on how fast you are moving. This increases the tension changes as it flexes.

The Quilt Glide feature basically puts the machine in "manual" mode for tight, detailed work, and then the stitch regulator engages when you move faster. Therefore, if you have the Glide engaged for larger designs, as you slow down around points or curves, the machine is kicking into manual mode, then back into SR mode.

Use the Glide for detailed work, and turn it off for normal SR work.

Hope this helps!

Deb - though I don't have the quilt guide I did go through the stitch change problem - in the end, I had to replace my circuit board - but as Dawn says - fine tuning is a matter of working with screws on the circuit board - actually Christy had my work with 4 screws. Good luck.

Deb, I have a 2009 Millie as well, when I first got it it stitched perfectly after a month or two it started geting worse and worse with the stitches I finally ended up with 30 per inch when set on the lowest number. I called Christy and as Meg says we had to adjust four screws. No reason could be give as to why it started doing this other than maybe break in itme. I will tell you it's easier to do this adjustment with two people, you adjust a screw and then have to stitch a square and an x and then count the stitches. Oh and have a very small screwdriver on hand!! The screws are very tiny! Good luck!!

Thanks Dawn. I am not using Quilt Glide except for small detailed work. I don't think that needle flex is the problem because I've had the same problem with a size 4 and with a size 3.5. The tension changes when I use it regardless of how fast or slow I am going and regardless of where I have the dial set for Quilt Glide.

Keep in mind Debbi that if you are using the Quilt Glide, it is now overiding the SR and putting in more stitches per inch than what the SR is set to so naturally your tension is going to get tighter with a smaller stitch versus having a larger or wider stitch. :)

So in other words, I need to adjust the tension when I use Quilt Glide in order to get the same quality of stitches I get without it on?? That doesn't make sense. Seems like more work that it is worth if I have to be constantly changing the tension in order to use Quilt Glide.

Hmmm correct me if I'm wrong Debbi, but wouldn't you adjust your tension when doing a very tiny stipple versus doing a larger design with a larger stitch per inch anyway? This is what the Quilt Glide is doing automatically. I guess I am confused

I guess Mary Beth, I know that if you had say 7 spi and quilted or had 15-20 spi and quilted because the stitch is so close together, you automatically will have a tighter stitch, maybe Dawn can jump back in and correct me too if I'm all wet...and that has been known to happen. :P Hehehe

No, I don't adjust the tension when changing from larger to smaller designs and never have and my tension has always been good. Think about this Mark..

I adjust the tension for SR mode.

Stitch my feather motif.

Tie off the thread.

Adjust the tension for Quilt Glide.

Stitch my microstipple behind the feather.

Tie off the thread.

Adjust the tension for SR mode.

Repeat the above for all blocks in the quilt.

Does that sound right or am I misunderstanding something here? I want to:

Adjust my tension prior to starting the quilt.

Stitch my feather motif with SR on.

Turn on Quilt Glide.

Stitch the microstipple behind the feather motif.

Turn off Quilt Glide.

Repeat the above for all blocks in the quilt.

My issue is that when I adjust the tension it is good until I turn on Quilt Glide. Then it is bad until I turn off Quilt Glide. The tension on top is too tight and it doesn't make a difference how fast or slow I am going or the size of needle. I've tried all of the above and it makes no difference. Same thing happens with manual mode. I am going to start adjusting my tension using SR, manual mode and Quilt Glide before I start working on a quilt. Maybe that will help.

I still need to call regarding the SPI not being correct. Is there a handout or something on how to adjust it? I keep forgetting that I have the new manual that is much more detailed. I'll check it tonight and see if there is something in it.

Is it possible that the 2 problems are related?

I see what you are saying Debbi...and yes, call in to service so they can walk you through adjusting your regulator. This could be the problem if you stitches per inch is off. I know this forum is awesome, but don't ever hesitate to call in to service as that is their specialty!! :)

Thanks Mark.

My problem with calling in is that I am usually unable to get in touch with someone after I get home from work. I am home every other Friday this summer so the call may have to wait until Friday. Right now I just know to adjust the SPI differently.

I'm more concerned about the tension though. I've not had this problem in 4 years of using my machine. It's just odd that it creeps up now after getting a new machine and only when manual mode or Quilt Glide is used. I'll buy the fact that it might be needle flex when the problem occurs in manual mode, but I'm not buying it with Quilt Glide. Last weekend I tried the Quilt Glide at the lowest setting and stitched fast enough that it didn't kick into manual mode then slowed down enough for it to kick in. The tension was way to tight on top both times. As soon as I turned off Quilt Glide the tension was good again. It's suspicious.....

Archived