charge for teaching beginner quilt piecing classes

Do any of you teach beginner quilt piecing classes? If so, how much do you charge? My niece and her friends wanted me to teach a class and we started it last July '08 and just now they are finishing them up. We had several classes over the past year and I charged a flat fee in the beginning. They chose not to do homework between classes and only worked on their projects here in my studio with my instruction. They purchased mats and cutters from me and with the exception of one student I also quilted their quilts for them charging my customary fee for that service. They want to make another quilt and continue meeting here and have me teach them again. Obviously I did not make any money for teaching with all the hours it took but I do have a few new customers. Since I am new at this end of the business, they had some suggestions for me for the next go-around.

They also have friends who already quilt and would like to come on a "drop in" basis. The suggestion was this:

For those who want instruction, they would pay $30 for the first class and $10 for each additional class. The "drop ins"

would pay $10 too with no instruction. This way the students may be encouraged to do homework but if they choose not to (like last year) I would make more money. That way it's pretty much up to the student to determine how much they want to pay for the class.

I'm wondering if I'm opening a can of worms with this.

Do you see projected pit falls with this idea?

I need ideas/suggestions if you have any. Thanks!

I charge $20 per student no matter who they are. 10 students is my limit per class. Classes usually last 4 hours. They learn how to do it right. And, I always tell them what they will get - up front. Then I always throw in a new technique or something and they say they look forward to what they are going to get for "free."

I am just starting to do this, but so far I like it. I charge $50 per student for a course of three, three-hour lessons. I keep it to three students per class, so everyone gets individual attention, but there is still a nice group dynamic. Living on an island has its advantages in that I already know all the students' still levels, and they know each other, so I can be fairly sure they are compatible. I also teach at the LQS.

This will never be a big money-maker in itself, but it should continue to work to your advantage in that you will be creating new customers, and they will be doing better work. I kind of like the idea of "drop-ins", because any exposure to a more professional way of quiltmaking should have positive effects. Charge them, & give them some individual attention for their money, and you will be creating better peicers for your quilting. If you don't charge, and don't instruct, they will have no motivation to improve.

Insurance is advisable.

I do teach, mostly beginners and I dont do it at home, I teach 2 days in a month at a local fabric store where the quilts I teach are displayed.

They give me a deal on fabrics and students buy their supplies there with 10 % discount.

I charge a fee of $30. for 2 sessions (classes), 3 hours each session. I teach them the fundamentals of cutting, sewing with 1/4 inch seams and putting together a simple lap quilt, their assignment is given, that is to sew the one patch blocks at home and then I teach them to put it together with a simple border and then finish the quilt by tying the following week. The slower folks pay additional $5 per hour to finish the project within reasonable period of time which is 2 weeks time frame.

For those who wants to machine quilt, I offer them machine quilting class for a fee (dsm) or my Longarm service.

Some students come back for more advanced quilting and if they happen to want more advanced classes, I tell them it will be a minimum of 3 students for me to start and teach another class.

Then I encourage them to join our Quilt Guild where they could be encouraged to take on more quilting adventures.

You have to be in command of time and what rules you set (gently) that way you dont give away your time. I do it as part of my marketing plan to get more clients for longarming which really is working because people go to the store for quilting fabrics, crafts and etc., they see my finished quilts and they see my business name and phone no.

Corey

My beginner classes are $56 for an 8 week class (2 hours per week) I do have folks dropping in occasionally, or students who think it's okay to bring someone, so I like the policy of charging a fee for that.

I teach for the city and have classes in the community building at the park.

I would check and see what the LQS are charging? When I teach in my studio, I charge $35.00 per class (basic 9 patch). If it's making a complete 9 patch I charge $100.00 because it includes binding and backing. I do not take "drop ins". If I'm doing an advanced class they have to have taken the basic, etc. Private 1 on 1 lessons are more.

I teach but not in my home, I use a room at my church were we also hold our local guild meetings.

As far as liability (being a paralegal and asking my attorney) he stated there is always one person that will sue for anything and everything. So, to prevent this issue you could have a release form drawn up (you can do this yourself) it simply states that by signing this form I release blah, blah from any liability that may result in any injury due to the use of rotary cutters, tools and machines (the list can go on). The trick here is everyone must sign a form and not just the ones you think might sue, otherwise its not equal and fair treatment. If you teach more than one class I would recommend doing a blanket release that would cover any and all classes taken with you. Its a lovely world we live in! lol :D

Archived