Help with batting decision

Hi all,

Need some advice on a customer quilt. It's the Thimbleberries House & Garden quilt from a few years back. I'm quilting this for a shop owner who had it made for her. The girl did an OK job piecing it, but some of the large borders on it are puckery & puffy (For those of you familiar with this pattern there are a ton of borders on this). I told the owner that I would have to use a somewhat puffy batting to help ease the puffiness out. I'm going to use So Fine thread in the top & bottom and do freehand loops & swirls overall.

I'm thinking of Hobb's 80/20 premium or Quilter's Dream Poly Select. The quilt is huge 97 x 118, so I don't want to add any extra unnecessary wieght. Any thoughts on these or other battings for this quilt?

Thanks everyone in advance. I really appreciate all the things that I learn here.

Roseann Noll

Phoenix Rose Quilts

Elysburg, PA

My experience with Thimbleberries is that they can be more subtle colors, even a little darker than most, a homespun feel, that's to say that a little heavier batting would not be a negative addition. I wouldn't worry about weight, and I have also found that QD poly isn't any heavier than WN or QD Select. Dream Puff is rather light. Dream Wool is very light, but spendy.

To eliminate fullness and puckers, in my opinion, the QD Poly would be just fine if that is what you have to work with. If your customer wants a natural fiber, the wool would be my next choice. OR the QD select cotton. Use those tips and tricks like bead board borders, starch and steam, etc.

Bottom line: if money is no object, use wool. If availability is an issue, use what is close at hand. If it's personal choice, use what you love.

And don't forget to post a picture.:)

I quilted one Thimbleberries quilt just like that, and you are right, the borders are wavy and there are some other issues at the quilt center.

I used Quilters Dream 70/30 and I exercised lots of patience and used spray starch to shrink the "bubbles" and "waves".

The quilt turned out really good and I was happy about the result and so as the customer.

Corey

:)

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with Quilter's Dream Wool. I didn't have the king size in stock, so I ordered it from Quilter's Dream (they are great to work with). Since it's my first sample to promote my business through a local quilt shop, I really wanted to make sure the quilt will be great! I'll quilt it after our vacation and post a picture then (oh no not again!)

Thanks again

Roseann

Saundra,

If you're ever in the Virginia Beach area, give me a call. I have an account with Quilter's Dream and would be willing to order and pick up QD for you. Their business is just 3 streets away from me. You can get QD from ladies on here and equilter has it for a fair price (www.equilter.com)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

After about 7-8 hours total time (loading, testing the tension and actual quilting), I finished this quilt. I did use Quilter's Dream Wool and it turned out really nice. I'll post pictures on my Webshots to show the before (with the puckers) and the after (most of the waves came out). I used So Fine thread in Gondola Gold color and did freehand loops & swirls to help ease the fullness out. I think it turned out really nice. I didn't want to do anything too fancy since the quilt is busy to begin with, plus i needed to work the waves out. I think it turned wonderful.

Thanks

Roseann Noll

Phoenix Rose Quilts

Elysburg, PA

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry everyone. Now that the kids are back in school I have a little more time to organize things. As promised here's the pictures of this quilt that I did for a customer. She was very pleased with it, as was I. Thanks for all the advice! Hope this helps others!

Follow this link to my webshots albums!

http://community.webshots.com/user/phoenixrosequilts

I was VERY happy with it and will probably use it alot for personal quilts since I can purchase it wholesale. I know that some customers for certain quilts wouldn't want to pay the extra price for it, but for getting puckers out it's well worth it!

Roseann

I know that with every Thimbleberries club they suggest custom options to quilt it. That wouldn't have worked for this quilt because of the puckers etc. I've also realized that some Thimbleberries quilts are really busy with the prints and patterns that an overall really works well and looks great. Why make more work for yourself than necessary? As far as customers go, I'll do pretty much what they request if it's possible for the quilt with the understanding that custom it's much more expensive than overall.

You'll get that quilt done! Post a picture when it's finished! I love to see other people's Thimbleberries quilts!

Roseann Noll

Archived