single loose stitch on top

I have been battling stitching problems for a couple of weeks. Have finally reduced greatly the occurrence of birds nests (using a new bobbin case) but now have an occassional single loose stitch on top. I have tried sanding any burrs but don't know what else it might be.

Melinda in Ct

Millie

Guest Linda S

Check out the Superior Threads webpage: www.superiorthreads.com There is a section that gives all sorts of tips or different thread problems.

Linda

When this happens to me, its ususally because of how the thread comes off the cone. I have seen this while doing a panto; the thread is kind of in my field of vision then, and i've seen it sort of pop off the top of the cone rather than coming off smoothly. This seems to happen more often when the cone is low, and the thread is a trilobal, or poly. See if it happens to you with a certain thread.;)

Hi Melinda,

What kind or type of thread are you using? I have seen the birds nest with certain kinds of threads. As far as the single loop on top, that can happen if you are using a very "linty" thread. You can get a little lintball that will pass through the tension disks and thus giving you the single loop on the top. Hope this will help. Feel free to give us a call..(800)426-7233 ext#6

Mark APQS

bstucker- thanks for the suggestion. I don't do pantos so don't usually have my eyes anywhere near the spool. I was however, using a giant newish spool (6000 yds) today and still had the problem. Maybe I'll put a practice piece on and do a giant meander so I can watch the spool instead of my stitching.

marc - I talked with Connie today and she suggested that I try to move back the little black piece behind the hook assembly. I *tried*, not sure I actually achieved any movement. The hook still moves in and out ever so slightly and definitely rattles. And I still have the occassional loose stitch. I generally use Signature threads.

Melinda in CT

MArk I saw your probably cause ofr loose stictches ontop - linty thread.

I am having that problem right now, and yes, the thread is linty. What I'd like ot know is wha tto do about it. I can't change the thread i nthe middle of the quilt.

If you have really bad linty thread, we need to try and strip the impurities or lint from the thread. This would be about the ONLY time that we would say you need to put a small chunk of batting in that first threadguide above your cone of thread. Run the thread through the batting as it is going through the threadguide. This will strip off the lint before it gets up to your tension disks. I think the polly batting is more course and will strip the lint better than the 100% cotton. This should work for you.

Take care,

Mark APQS

Archived