I want a Long Arm

Hi Everybody.. I have been seriously consider purchasing a LA for a about a year. I want to work from home and feel this is just for me, trouble is I am brand new at quilting, I also live in Newfoundland Canada and have never seen a machine here. I wouldn't have a clue where to go to learn ANYTHING :( or even where, if I can, purchase one. Any suggestions???

Hi Christine,

Research is the key! Get on the internet and look up everything you can on longarm machines. Of course I love my APQS Millie, and I could tell you all the reasons why, but this is a big decision and you will need to decide what is best for you. Another thing to consider is how much demand there is in your area. Are there a lot of quilters? Are there any machine quilters in your area, that you may not know about? How about the local quilt stores, do they have a list of machine quilters that they use, or recommend? Are there quilt guilds in your area that you could begin to visit and find out all you can about their demand for machine quilters? It is good to be able to work from your home but there are more considerations then just the cost of the machine. There are classes to take to teach you to use the machine; instruction books; patterns; rulers; tools; etc. This can be a costly adventure, if you are up for the ride it can be very exciting. Good luck with your search. If at all possible go to shows where you can try out several different machines.

Hi Christine...

I live in Southern Ontario. A couple of years ago I went to the Creative Needlework Festival...wow, loved it. I also got to test-drive at least 3 different longarms. That is the best because you can distinguish what you like and dislike about each one while everything is fresh in your mind. Right then and there the APQS felt like a perfect fit.

Both times I've gone to Toronto there has been all the manufacturers there, so if you can go it's a great opportunity. If you end up going, let me know what day and we can possibly meet and you can pick my brain!!!

Also, if you go, take lots of money...lots of great stuff at the many vendors. In fact, if some of you are not too far away in the States it would be a good trip for you, too.

Sandra

Archived