Side Clamps---Favorites

Originally posted by Hollyrw

I think I learned this from Dawn. I turned the elastic strips around and just pin the ends to the quilt back. It's quick and there is nothing to get hung up on the edge of the machine. It's cheap too.

I need a picture here. You pinned the ends to the back of the quilt??? Elastic??? I thought we were talking about clamps??? I'm confused.

I bought clamps at Harbor Freight, a whole set for less than $10, added two keyrings, elastic, and velcro to make my own. The smallest clamps are very light and easy to squeeze. I use them mainly with the muslin sides when I don't have enough backing.

post--13461902315978_thumb.jpg

Boni, I don't have a picture, sorry, but Dawn just slid the actual clamps backwards on the elastic that they are attached to, so that the clamps were close to the side of the table and the tail of the elastic hung free. She then just picked up the tail and pinned it to the backing fabric, quick as can be. This also solves the problem of the machine bumping against the clamps as they are out of the way at the end of the table.

Sorry, that's about as clear as I can make it. Maybe Dawn will come along and make it all make sense. :)

OK, so now I understand about just pinning the elastic to the backing. It does eliminate the clamp from getting in the way. I suppose you wouldn't even need clamps then? All we need is a wide velcro strap and pins, hmmmmm--another invention born of necessity.

Yes, that's my first whole cloth. I'll post when it's done. It's white on white and doesn't like to have its picture taken. More later...

I stopped using clamps all together because I hated the machine hitting them if the customers backing wasn't wide enough. I took some leftover scraps from a log cabin, folded them several times and sewed them to the ends of my velcro. Now I just pin them on and nothing gets in the way.

Originally posted by sspingler

I stopped using clamps all together because I hated the machine hitting them if the customers backing wasn't wide enough. I took some leftover scraps from a log cabin, folded them several times and sewed them to the ends of my velcro. Now I just pin them on and nothing gets in the way.

I really need to do that because the ends of my elastic are getting kind of chewed up from the pins.

Hi Bobette....nice to see you on here!

I use the featherlights too and I really like them. Unfortunately, I've been a bit rough with them and have broken them:( However, a little painters tape and all is well again--they're easily fixed. I did have one that broke not long after I bought it and when I contacted them, they sent me two new ones. Good people to work with!

After 10 years of using clamps, at the encouragement of this thread, I put my clamps outside of the table and just use pins. I love not having to use curtain rods to hold up the elastic to keep the clamps from hitting the side of the machine head. Really, as someone pointed out, there is no reason to have the clamp - just some elastic and a pin. Much better!

Archived