Soooo frustrated with thread

Most times when I use a variegated cotton thread I have trouble....I am so frustrated I want to spit. I think I check everything...must be something underneath. I'll feel a pull and sometimes the top thread has broke and resumed sewing but there will be a little tangle underneath.

I think there must be something wrong with the bobbin area but can't figure it out. I am almost at the point of steering away from these threads even though they are so beautiful. The one today is a dark thread on a light backing so any problems will probably show up like crazy.

I just had to vent a little with some people who might understand "one of those days". I guess I should just walk away from it today but the problem will still be there tomorrow.:(:(

Sandra

I understand your frustration. Often variegated threads break at dark sections, where there is more dye/color; it seems to be a weak point. I also have trouble getting the tensions just right and frequently have little knots of thread in the points of designs. Some people say it helps to stick these threads in the refrigerator or freezer overnight to humidify it. If anyone has found the perfect cotton thread, speak up! My favorite thread is So Fine, but I have some customers who only want cotton.

Cathy

Here this might help - I usually use only Poly thread, but will use this trick

now and then:

Get a bottle of Sewer's Aid - it is put out by Prym-Dritz - I get mine at

Jo-Anns. Could go to www.dritz.com - it feels like putting a little oil on your

thread - I think that is silicone. Much less messy than using a spray.

Anyhow - with this stuff, I run 3 or 4 stripes up and down the side of my

cone thread, and sometimes even on that little scrap of batting I have on

the first guide right above the cone. I re-apply every row or so - depending

on how dense the quilting is.

This also helps in keeping your needle cooled down. Love the stuff! Works

very well with my King Tuts and I also need it on my varigated Poly Quilter

thread - linty stuff. Keeps my bobbin area cleaner too! Good Luck!

I am quilting a t-shirt quilt for a customer and am using Signature Pixelles Trilobal 30wt Thread. I have a size 110/18 needle in my machine (although I just noticed it says on the spool of thread to use a size 100/16 needle). The thread keeps breaking every 5 seconds or so....aughhhhh! I loosened my top tension almost as far as it will go. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have 2 quilts to do for this customer and of course I told her I could have them done today - obviously not going to happen. How do I tell if my top tension is too loose or not loose enough?

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Sign me Stumped in South Dakota

These tension problems are frustrating, and I had many more of them when I first started. Is the thread better now? No, I have learned to tweak the upper and lower (mostly lower) tension and have less trouble.

I also like So Fine. The new cotton, Masterpiece, is supposed to very nice but it is about 50% more than So Fine. I would say if someone insists on cotton, tell them you will get it for them, and charge $7 for thread. That way the spool would be over half paid for.

You can search messages for tension suggestions, but if I have a heavier thread I make sure my bottom tension is on the looser side. Then I test off the side of the quilt with a scrap of fabric on top of the customers backing and batting. after it looks ok, I rally look at where the bobbin and top thread meet. I am looking to see if I can see a "dot" of the bobbin thread from the top of the quilt. I want to have to look really hard to see it. That's the result I want. Tension top and bottom on the loose side, but equally loose.

Don't worry! I promise it does get easier. Once in a while I get a bad cone, but it's usually operator error :mad: I know from experience!

Sandra, I've been using lots of variegated cottons lately, both King Tutt and Sulky Blendables. I use a solid in the bobbin that blends with the variegated so I don't have really odd noticable combinations if there are any pokies. I usually have to decrease the tension on both the top and bobbin and use Sewers Aid on the top thread. Do some sample stitches to make sure you have your tension so it works well. Every machine is a tiny bit different so don't be afraid to play around until it works for you. jeri

Well, I'm out the door to find some Sewer's Aid. Hopefully there is some at the place I'm going (we don't have Jo-ann's:(, but I've heard it's wonderful). I hope this works since I don't want to have to steer away from the variegateds. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes later today..........

Sandra

I know what you mean about problems with threads. Sometimes it's the color of the thread and not the thread itsself. I find that with problem threads, if I mist the cone lightly to moisturize it, I generally don't have any problems. Or you can do like some people and spritz it, put it in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight. That's if you know you are going to use it.

What is the purpose of "that little scrap of batting" on the first guide?

Is there a reason for using it other than using Sewers aid?

Judi wrote: "Anyhow - with this stuff, I run 3 or 4 stripes up and down the side of my

cone thread, and sometimes even on that little scrap of batting I have on

the first guide right above the cone. I re-apply every row or so - depending

on how dense the quilting is."

Tamela -

I Love the movie Pollyanna - - Let's play the GLAD game! I can say that now

because thanks to Connie - my machine is back up and running! YEAH!

Anyhow - that little scrap of batting tucked in that first loop / thread guide

right above the cone helps to make sure that there are not any loops in

your thread. I think it is Judy Laquidara that shows a photo of this on her website. Not sure, but I bought my machine used and we always had this

there. I change it ever now and then, it does help to lube and tame linty &

curly thread- saves me now and then! Hope this explains your question.

Well, got my hands on some sewers aid from a friend of mine....but, sad to say the problem is as bad or worse....

I just want to get through this quilt the best I can and maybe offer the customer a discount for all the thread breakages :(

tomorrow will HAVE to be a better day!!!!! Sandra

Hi Sandra,

sorry to hear about your frustration! A couple of things, loosen your bobbin tension a little... for a pre-wound,should fall 3-4in.. and a metal 5-6 in.. (when doing the yo-yo test! You may even need a different bobbin case.

You can loosen the upper tension, actually off the threads. you don't want the tension knob to fall off, but it will loosen off the end of the shaft!

Try a different cone of thread, just to rule out if it is bad thread..

The only other thing it could be, is a burr somewhere... (look in the timing section in your manuel and it shows pictures of the hook and where to check for burrs...) Maybe down in the hook, or the center hole of the needle plate, or even your pigtail guides..

Keep us posted or call me if you need to!!

Good Luck

Well, still no luck, I'm probably missing something but right now I'm close to tears.....

I'll go check for burrs...it could be the thread, but I've never had good luck with variegated cotton...usually the same problem. What a mess!

I'll probably stay away from specialty threads :( until I get the hang of it one day.

Back to it...I'm not resting til this quilt is done!!!

Hi Sandra,

I would try what Cathy suggested...put your thread in a zip-lock baggie and put it in the freezer overnight. The next day when you take it out of the freezeer, it will condensate moisture through the whole cone of thread and that will give it some added strength as most cotton threads get dry and brittle causing it to break easily.

Hope this helps. :)

Later,

I'm hoping a new day will help to resolve the problems you're having. I'm sure you've already done all of this, but it never hurts to revisit the basics.

Have you changed your needle? Have you tried a larger needle? Did you try a different cone of thread? Have you entirely rethreaded the machine? Have you tried different bobbin thread? Have you cleaned your bobbin case? Did you loosen your quilt, just a bit?

You didn't mention the type of machine you're using. I have a Millennium, and I swear buy the TOWA bobbin tension gauge that APQS sells. I don't know if this device works for all bobbins, and all machines, but it works great with mine.

I also think (this could just be in my mind) that batting and backing make a huge difference with thread breakage. Sometimes a thread that gives you trouble with one quilt, will be fine with another. Look for batting with little or preferably no "slubs" in it. (By slubs I mean that exta organic stuff that you see in some batting.) I prefer Quilter's Dream.

Don't give up on variegated thread!! Try different brands, and I'm sure you'll find one you and your machine love. I loveSuperior's King Tut, and have successfully used Superior's Rainbows, and YLI variegated.

I hope you're in for a happier day!

Sue K.

Sue and everyone....

thanks so much for all your help...today is not a better day though and I'm just chugging through to get this quilt off my machine so I can get on to better things.

I think I have tried everything, as a matter of fact due to all the attention I think it is running better than ever except for "the problem" every couple of inches.

Actually, I haven't tried the freezer trick. It's too late on this quilt but I will try in on a test piece next week.

This thread is YLI and it's happened before on King Tut. My machine is a liberty. Top of the line fabrics and 80/20 for batting.

Here's a question~ the spot where you insert your bobbin...it is supposed to jiggle somewhat, isn't it???

Thanks again guys..............Sandra

Hi Sandra! Yes, the bobbin case "jiggles" a little bit but as long as it is clicked in it should be fine. I would think if there is a problem there you would be breaking needles???? Anyone have experience with this???

One more thought that I had thinking back to when I've had this problem.....are you sure your fabric tension isn't too tight - I find that if it is, cotton thread more than others will break easier. Also - are you SURE your needle isn't dull (yes, even a brand new needle can occasionally be the culprit) and is it inserted perfectly? IF it is even the slightest bit turned, that can cause thread to break. I sure hope you have a better day today. Good luck!

Sue

Sandra

If you would like to contact me direct I will try to help you with the YLI thread. I am on line most of the time. So can get back to you right away.

That seems to be the only thread that I use anymore :D and always the wanted by my customers. I never have any trouble with it (Knock on wood) on anything.

Last week I also did a T-shirt quilt.

Bobette

Bobettesews@aol.com

I have been there, done that and Connie will attest to the fact..I was so frustrated with thread breakage if I owned a gun I would have shot the machine..It was breaking from underneath in the bobbin area..I'm real good at thread tension now..we discovered there was an area around the bobbin cage that had somehow gotten rough..I sanded with some special sandpaper that Mike had me get at an auto supply store one time..check with the techs. After smoothing away the burrs..viola the tread stopped breaking..My favorite is the Superior King Tut almost NEVER breaks and I use variegated threads almost exclusively..I have not had real good luck with YLI and never SIgnature. The Maderia Poly Neon when I do want a solid is great. Hope you get this solved soon. I feel your pain...

:(

Hi out there!!!

You've all been so nice...the past few days I felt so alone but I really wasn't, with all your words of encouragement. I feel much better today...not that I solved my mystery, I'm just going to ignore it for a little while. The next few quilts should pose no problems.

I live not too far from a very experienced longarm quilter who many of you know and next time I talk to her I will plead with her to come take a quick look. I'm sure someone else with more experience will be able to say "oh look, silly, there's your problem!!!". I hope, anyway.

I took the quilt to the customer last night and explained that I had had problems and gave her a 25% discount on my labour. She loved the quilt and gave me a huge hug. Hugs go a long way, don't they!!!:P

Looking forward to tomorrow...a lady from Toronto has called that she is opening a shop in a local tourist town and wants to know about getting quilts made up for it. She wondered if it would be inexpensive...I told her that it was all relative. Here's hoping it opens a door of opportunity to something new (although after 2 years I feel I'm still doing something new and exciting!!). As you can hopefully tell, my spirits are a bit brighter today.

Thanks again.......Sandra

Archived