Rail grease! What was I thinking?

I have had a problem with rail grease since DAY ONE! I went through the whole bit of using a wax on the rails (which didn't help and possibly made things worse) to using just a window cleaner to what I'm now doing - using a paper towel and straight rubbing alcohol to clean the rails & rollers both BEFORE I load a quilt and BEFORE I unload the quilt! Even so, I never seem to be able to get ALL the black stuff off! I have even resorted to putting blue painters tape on the back rail before I either load or unload a quilt to protect the quilt from getting black grease on it. (Once, however, I forgot to take the tape off and continued to quilt with the tape on the rail - it didn't prohibit the machine any, but it sure was difficult to remove the tape after going over it with the machine time and time again!)

As far as getting the grease off - I have used "Sew Clean" which I got at MQS in Pam Clarke's booth. It is distributed by Bear Thread Designs 281-462-0661. The other product which I have used with greater success is something I got years ago at the local grocery store called "Mary Ellen's WOW! Grease & Oil Stain Remover." I'm not even sure it's still on the market. The address & phone number on the bottle are "Mary Ellen's Products, Inc., Box 39221, Minneapolis, MN 55439 612-941-1233." I got it years ago when my sons were into working on cars and got grease on otherwise good clothing! I had nothing to lose by using it on that. I'm a bit more careful on a customer quilt, however. I try to test it for color-fastness on a part of the quilt that won't show if it is on the backing - the front could be more challenging! Then I use either a cotton swab or a clean soft toothbrush (which I use just for this purpose) and brush a tiny bit into the spot, wait for about 5 minutes, then rinse (also with the cleaned toothbrush or a soft cloth) with clear water. Then I let it air dry.

Good Luck!

Alice

I haven't had any problems with the rail grease comming off on the quilts. I follow what was suggested in the how to/ maitanance video that came with my machine. It recommends that you use rubbing alcohol with a clean soft cloth (I use a clean cloth diaper) and to clean the rails thoroughly daily. It also suggests to claen the grooves of the wheels (q-tips and rubbing alcohol works great for this). I wouldn't use paper towels because they aren't as absorbant as a cloth is and paper towels leave lint behind. Also I have never had to use wax on my rails.

Joann

Thank goodness it's not really grease --- it's oxidation from the aluminum. I wipe mine down daily and always before I load a quilt. I spray some furniture polish on a piece of batting and wipe the table and machine rails when I wipe them down. No black on my quilts or clothes and my Millie glides a bit better. After every quilt I use a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol to clean out my wheels as they collect all kinds of lint etc. as well as oxidation.

I might be talking through my hat here, but as a scientist from a previous life, I have it in the back of my mind that alcohol itself can cause problems with alminium. Also if the alcohol is poor quality or very old it may itself contain some acids, and although they are what are classed as 'weak' acids, they still could have an affect on the aluminium (ie cause extra black oxide).

Aluminium metal oxidises easily when exposed to air, but once the outside of the aluminium metal is oxidised, the process slows down. If you clean the rails back to being really shiny, you are defeating the purpose, because they will automatically oxidise again, only clean off the loose aluminium oxide (black gunk) leaving the rails the dull whiteish colour which itself is a very thin layer of aluminium oxide which protects the aluminium metal.

I don't clean my rails with any chemical or spray. I use some of the left over bits of wadding or fabric to polish the rails. To clean the wheels I fold wadding (or fabric) over a couple of times and hold it against the wheels while moving the machine. I do this after each quilt as part of the cleaning process, ie clean and oil bobbin area and wipe rails. It only takes a couple of minutes and saves much drama. I have never had trouble with large build ups of black gunk.

I would also imagine that if your wheels are tight and don't glide easily, they will cause more build up of that horrible black stuff, so you should ensure they glide easily.

I would also be interested to hear opinions on my theory.

Cherie in Australia

driving a millie with compuquilter

• 4 weeks later...

Just to put my two cents in...I use bowling alley wax on my rails maybe once a month and I hardly ever have any black oxidation. When I wipe my rails every now and then, I only see a slight amount on my cloth. Maybe the wax seals the rails, I don't know, but it seems to work for me. Oh and do my wheels fly!

BeeStitched

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

Whatever you end up with on your quilts that you find hard to get off, try Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. That stuff will take stains out of anything. It's incredible!

Linda

Archived