Pellon Batting

Has anyone tried the Pellon batting? Preferably the 80/20?

I just found out that my distributor no longer carries Hobbs and they want to substitute the Pellon for my order.

I love the loft of the Hobbs 80/20 and the dimension you get in your quilting with it. Is the Pellon the same? They say it is a better quality, which is good, but I'm concerned about the loft.

I don't want something thin like W&N and stiff like that. I'll have to get a sample, I guess, but I really needed that order right away! :(

I haven't tried the Pellon batting but when I was walking though Wal-Mart yesterday I noticed they have W&N and Pellon batting. I didn't give it close examination and didn't note whether it was 80/20 or what the price is, but you might be able to get a piece there and give it a try.

My wholesaler does not carry Hobbs anymore either. I got a roll of Pellon 80/20 batting because I had to have some. I just put my first quilt on the machine using this batting, so I am not sure about it. I do know it does not have the loft of Hobbs. Will let you know when this one is finished.

Thanks for the info.

Saundra, I see you are in TX. We must be dealing with the same wholesaler! Please let me know, as soon as you can.

There are other sources for the Hobbs and I can go there if necessary. Don't want to lose that dimension.

OK, so another question.... QD 70/30 How does it compare? I like QD products, they are a bit pricier, but I think I could switch my customers over if necessary. Does it drape well and give good dimension to the quilting. I don't want stiff.

I also don't want to be carrying something you can get at Walmart or JoAnns! Whats the point in that?:D

Patty,

QD 70/30 is more like warm and natural and you don't get the puff like you do with hobbs. It is not one of my favorites and is way too stiff. I would say the QD Poly mid loft is a better substitute although it is a little heavier. My absolute fav is Dream Puff and it really isn't as puffy as it sounds. I use it in a lot of my quilts. Some of the puff goes away when washed but it still maintains the loft so the quilting shows. Wool is my absolute favorite but of course a little more expensive!

Hey Patty:

The story behind Pellon batting is that HD Wilbanks (formerly the main batting guy at Hobbs) left several months back and is now working with Pellon to develop a complete line of battings. They are just now hitting the stores and distributors. The battings should be very comparable to the Hobbs you are used to and they're also introducing rayon and bamboo and even soy I think. One really cool aspect is that they really want longarmers to try their batting so they will sell directly to you (with some minimums in place) and will sell you 9 yard bolts (batting wrapped on a board) instead of the 30 yard rolls sold by Hobbs. That enables you to try different batts & offer them to your customers. It also helps bring down the cost of a 'minimum' order. HD is a super guy and very knowledgeable...I'm switching over to the Pellon as soon as I use up what I have. Nancy in Tucson

Patty,

I have begun ordering directly from Hobbs, getting the 4 roll minimum. I use both the Hobbs 80/20 bleached and unbleached, plus the wool. Although the shipping cost is pricey, the volume discount still makes it less expensive than buying from a wholesaler for me. Personally, I would want to wait a while to order from Pellon until they have had a chance to perfect their new products.

Joan

Patty, I took the quilt I was quilting with the Pellon batting off the machine late last night. I found quilting that this product was like quilting through butter, much softer than the Hobbs, but I am still having problems getting around the fact that the loft is not as high. I was told from my wholesaler that if I am doing show quilts to double the batting. I was also told that this batting washes up better than Hobbs. Since this is a customer quilt I will not be washing it.

I do like the fact that there will be many battings to chose from, such as bamboo and etc. Also like the fact that it can be purchased in 9 yd flats so these new ones can be tried. Hope this helps.););)

How did you get a hold of the new batting? I can't find even an address for Pellon that admits to having batting. I googled every combination I could find.

I would love to try some of this stuff. I spoke with Quilters Dream today about my order of Dream Puff and they said they are having problems with it and the Dream wool. May be out of stock for a month (or more). Options would be good.

Thanks.

Heidi, I do not know if there will be different lofts in this 80/20 batting. I guess we could tell our wholesalers we want more loft with this product and they can relay our request to the company. Maybe it would help. As I said it is soft and a dream to quilt with, but just not the loft I want. You are right, to double it would be expensive and alot of trouble.

Joan, you can get this in 9 yard pieces and I guess it comes on a flat bolt like fabric.

Well, I am still waiting on my Pellon sample :mad: If they don't hurry up, I will stick with Hobbs and order direct! It may be more up front expense, but hopefully the bigger discount will be worth it.

I just looked at my original post. It's only been a week! Seems like forever, though. Guess I am not very patient! :P

You all got me interested "pellon batting" so I emailed the company. The sent a very nice email back and are sending me samples. They also sent me their wholesale price listing. The batting is called "Legacy Premier Quilt Batting". They have everything from 50/50 SOY-Cotton to Flax/linen, Rayon, Cotton every type possible. Prices are ok (in line with QD). They also sent me a information sheet with loft, shrinkage, stitch spacing, types of quilting and fabrics the batting types are recommended for. If any of you want copies of this info email me at quiltQPQSva@aol.com (subject PELLON). They also have a website it's www.quiltlegacy.com. I can't wait to try it.

Archived