Grandma's quilts

In another thread a long time ago I was talking about my grandmothers quilts. I told Linda I would post pictures so she could see, but I haven't had the time or right conditions until now.

But I didn't forget so here is a picture of the one my mom and I sewed onto muslin squares and pieced. I have to say though that now that I have more experience and have seen some of the 1930's quilts I might take this apart and re-do it.

post--13461902404657_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mother Sandra. It must have been extra hard to lose her before Thanksgiving. It is so hard when our parents get old. I hope you were able to save many things to remember your mom by! I have saved many things of my moms as she loved to sew and paint. My dad too. He has parkinsons and has been having trouble with it lately, but even he makes ojo's which I have a few and really treasure them. He also did woodworking... as a matter of fact, my whole house is completely decorated with things my family has made. How lucky am I!

I'm working on my 30's block exchange quilt right now, and I keep having to remind myself that simple is better. The ones I've seen in books are not frilly and fancy. To me, it's the fabrics that make the 30's look, and you have quite a collection of those fabrics in your blocks. You will make the right choice, and then the fun begins planning the quilting to really show it off. That velvet crazy quilt is gorgeous! Were those dresses at one time?

I agree that having aging parents was one of the most difficult times of my life. I can handle grandchildren and even ones with special needs, but my parents were very difficult. It was a long goodbye, and not pleasant most of the time.

For those of you who still have your parents, love them while you can. Make sweet memories, and cherish them.

Roberta, you are fortunate to have those hand made treasures decorating your home. I have some things, and I hold them very close to my heart. I have a double bed size quilt that my Mother was making over thirty years ago. When my Father was dying from lung cancer, over a two year stretch, my Mother started a whole cloth quilt (the type with the blue cross stitch markings). She used to sit by his bedside and do her handwork so she was always close to him. When he passed away, my Mother folded up the quilt and put it in a plastic garbage type of bag up in the attic. When my siblings and I were going through the house I found it. My sister and brother are not quilters, so they took completed items that my Grandmother had made, and I was given this almost finished quilt. Unfortunately, it is full of stains. It looks like the roof had leaked and then there are other marks that looks like brownish rust stains. Well, one of these days I plan to finish her quilt and after it is bound I will wash it very carefully and try to get out some of the stains. With some of our newer quilt wash products I may be lucky and make it usable. It sure has some history attached to it.

Boni, aging parents are so much work. My Father, as I mentioned above, was in and out of the hospital over a 2 year period; he suffered a lot. He was only 68 when he passed away. He would be 99 years old now. On the other hand, my Mother was 91 when she passed away last year and was living in her own home and going to town on the public bus system in Philadelphia. She walked every day, usually to the store. Went up and down the stairs - basement all the way to the third floor - none stop. She was still cooking and baking. She even had my daughter, SIL, my two grandchildren and myself for lunch on Halloween because she wanted to see the kids in their costumes. We took pictures. The last ones we have of her. (Oh, and my father and her Mother both died on Halloween evening-3 years apart.) A dynamo. As we were cleaning up from lunch she was telling me she was having trouble sleeping and kept dreaming about my father. He was calling her to come to him. Then on Nov. 12th I took her to the doctor's because she thought she had the flu and didn't want to get out of bed. We went from the doctor's office to the ER and she was admitted. In a few days she was transfered to Hospice and passed away on Nov. 21. She did suffer in the end, but she went very fast. I am so thankful for that.

I feel for people who have to go through a long illness with their loved ones.

Heidi,

I don't know why I went on so, but sometimes the words just flow. I guess I needed to express them tonight. I grabbed my tissues, too. :)

My parents were very much in love and committed to each other. I can't ever remember them arguing, and they always stood together with decisions. They were wonderful parents and grandparents.

Archived