newbie getting scared

Hi, I have been lurking at this site for several weeks now and have decided it's time to introduce myself. My name is Barb and I live in Macomb Twp, MI. I have three boys ages 13, 10 and 3 1/2. I am purchasing a Liberty for delivery later this summer. I almost started a business about a year ago, and pulled out because when I started researching I found out there were about a dozen women advertising at my local quilt store. I got scared and pulled out thinking I couldn't compete. I recently checked it out again, and saw only about 5 or six ads this time. Basically, my youngest is starting preschool this year and I am starting to think about what I want to do "when I grow up". This seems like the ideal thing for me, as I can work at home and be there for my kids. I really have no desire to work in an office or a store. Been there, done that! I hated it. What I'm really nervous about is that I really don't have a clear idea of the climate for this business in Michigan. Everyone I talk to says something different. Some say it's saturated, others say they have plenty of business and are very happy. I guess I am looking for a pep talk and I got nervous when I read other threads from some of you who are struggling. I really don't think I will be happy though, unless I try!!!

Thanks,

Barb:D

Barb,

If you have read my posts, you would know that I am struggling. I live in Kansas City and there are lots of great machine quilters here. It sounds like you will be able to beat the streets once your little one starts preschool, I think that is the key. For now, you should make sure they all know you at the quilt stores and your local guilds. Then when your machine gets here PPP. Have some tops ready, so that when you are ready to quilt them, they will be ready to go, no down time. Then you can take them in to the shops and "look for binding";) Or take them to the guilds for show and tell. People will ask who quilted them. Or so they say!! Anyway, I think all this will work. I have never tried it. I still work full time, so there is very little time to piece quilts for myself to show off. My customers trickle in. I can go for months without a call, then boom, I get 3 in one week. I currently have 6 or 7 customer quilts, and have not had a phone call in about 2 months. It is hard to work full time and try to get a business going, but I'm going to keep trying.

Good luck,

Mary Beth

Barb,

My mother in law lives in Sears, Michigan. She is a very good customer of the local knitting/quilting shop in Big Rapids. She said they have an APQS machine with Compuquilter on it, and it is always loaded with a quilt when she goes in there for yarn or classes.

She got to talking to the manager of the store and he told her they have a 6-7 month waiting list.

So, advertise around Big Rapids if you can.

Hope this helps. Teresa

Barb:

I think if you weren't a bit nervous, that would be abnormal. This is a big investment. Takes a good chunk of cash, takes up a lot of room in our homes and takes a lot of time to develop the skill and attract the customers. One thing is for sure -- if you never try it, you will never know. Sounds like that's the way you're thinking so never forget that you *really* wanted to make a go of this. When (if) you get frustrated, remind yourself of the gorgeous quilts you can make and that you can one day be earning $$ by doing what you love. You can do it!

Don't always estimate the number of quilters by ads, in my state when I did the research there were only two listed everywhere in the last six months I have connected with about 6 more. I can't even tellyou haow many have nonlongarm machine set ups.

If buying a machine poses taking loans and hardship I would think twice about it. and perhaps buy a used machine, and get going build your customers, then upgrade. you don't want to be filled with guilt if your busines does not take off as needed.

The quilters with 6 months waiting list have those lists because they have spent years building up there customers, I doubt those customers will go else where to get there quilts done sooner Quilters are like a great haidresser once you find the one you like you stick with her!!

Good luck its a great business but it has a good side and a badside like all businesses. Above all it takes hard work!!

Susan

Also when someone tells you that there turn around time is long (like 3-4 mos or longer) ask them how about many quilts that they finish per week...this will give you a better idea of just how many quilts/ customers they have waiting to be done. Some people may only do 1 or 2 quilts per week where others may end up doing 5 or more a week.

Turn around times are all realitive based on the time the longarmer has to devote to their quilting. If a longarmer does this part time and have 6 customers on their wait list they may have a longer turn around time than one that does it full time just because the part timer may only be able to get 1 or 2 quilts done a week if they are lucky and if life's other responsibilities dosen't get in the way. Where as the full timer may be able to get twice as many done be cause they are devoting more time to it.

Around here where I live Mesa AZ there are alot of longarmers that do it only part time but they say they have a 6 month turn around time, some of them don't even get a chance to finish a customer quilt each week because of other responsibilities that may come up. than there are full timers around here that have a turn around time that is 3-4 months.

So when figureing out the turn around times in your area take all of this into consideration as well as how they advertise and market themselves...all of these things play a big role in what their REAL customer base & turn around time is built on.

Joann

Thanks for all of your help ladies. I feel better. My sister reminded me this morning that this is my dream, and I should go after it with all my heart. Judy, you are so right that this is a big investment and that's the scariest part. I would really hate myself though, if ten years from now, I look back and regret that I didn't at least try. Judy I have been reading all of your tips on starting and marketing and I have been reading all the tips on setting up the studio too. Can't wait to get started. I have tape allover the basement floor trying to mark out the space for my Liberty! Thanks!!!

I agree about looking back and regretting having not tried to fulfill your dream. This week we made the decision to cancel our satellite (DISH) for TV. We figure that in 10 years, we've paid about $8,000 to sit in front of the tv. Well, one of us sat while one of us quilted non-stop and interfered with the TV! So, what do we have for having spent $9,000 for satellite service? NOTHING!! We're no smarter, no richer -- probably fatter from having sat on our rear-ends (but we don't want to discuss that any further!)

It had nothing to do with saving $$ but the fact that I've always been adverse to sitting like a zombie in front of the TV for hours on end. No offense intended if you're someone who loves TV.

So, just assume you spend $18,000 on a Millennium today. You quilt just a little for ten years -- some for others, some for your own self. Maybe you only do 1 quilt per week for customers and you only charge $100/quilt. Do the math! If you decide to sell the machine, you're still way better off than had you been sitting in front of the TV for nine years.

DH says I live in a rose colored world. Maybe I do. Maybe I can justify the things I want. Maybe this is one of those goofy examples but since I hate TV and I love quilting, I like this example a lot!;)

I like your analogy. I am one of those people with the tv on, but I'm not watching. It's still a waste, no matter what. I don't think I want to know how much money I have spent on cable for the priviledge of watching nothing!!! Yikes!!! I am purchasing a Liberty. I am setting up the financing this week. I am having the darndest time coming up with a business name. Everyone has such catchy names!

Originally posted by barbann03

I am having the darndest time coming up with a business name. Everyone has such catchy names!

I think when picking out a name & logo for your business it should be fun, catchy, reflective of yourself and your location.

Mine is called "Gecko Quilts" (wasn't my first choice that was "The Chili Pepper Quilt Co." but being located here in AZ there was already a simiular name so I had to go with my 2nd choice). It turned out really well because I look at this as a creative fun business and my logo and website reflect that..I am able to more whimsical and creative in my logo design.

Normally I am very conservitative/traditional in style and likes but when I start creating I lean towards the fun whimsical stuff.

Joann

You'll know your name when it comes to you. Our last name is Croley and we are forever reminding people that there is no "w" in it. So when I thought of "The Cro's Nest", my youngest was clever enough to think of leaving out the "w" there as well.

Someone said to me that "quilt" should be in the name, and they are probably right, but once we thought of the Cro's Nest, that was just "it"!!

:P

Sandra

I would suggest you call it Cro's Nest Quilting.

Don't get discouraged, but be realistic, this will be hard work. I have chatted with some that think once they get a L/A the business will find them. SO not true! Read the thread on getting business, and for sure-go to Quilting on the Waterfront in August. It will be a fabulous experience, take some beginner classes and network.

Barb,

I live in Chesterfield MI and work in Troy! I have only had my Millennium for a year and just got back from MQX. I took classes from the best teachers and I feel like the sky is the limit now! :P

Anyway, you may contact me if you like and we can talk. Remember....getting started IS SCARY! But you can do it! One foot in front of the other gets you there! Good Luck!

Diana

Hi Diana, so nice to finally hear from someone in Michigan. Who did you take classes from? Are you having trouble getting business. I grew up in Troy! I used to live at Wattles and Rochester Rd. Caron, can you tell me more about Quilting on the Waterfront? I don't know anything about it.

Right now, I am practicing my drawing with Diane Epp's books. I don't plan on taking delivery of my Liberty until late July. We need time to get the space ready, and I want to the kids to be closer to going back to school so I won't feel bad about disappearing in the basement to practice. It's still going to be a challenge to get anything done with my 3 year old. But he will be going to school this year too. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Just wanted to let you know that I have a Gammill, and am in St. Clair, Michigan. Not far from you at all. I bought a used machine a year ago, and I have a business partner. She and I are getting busier as our name gets out there, but we aren't taking any paychecks yet. We were fortunate because we didn't have to take out a loan for "Mimosa," and we are covering the cost of our materials, etc. Would love to meet you and any other longarmers in the area to share what we've learned.

Wow, all you longarmers in Michigan. The next trip we make up there I want to meet some of you and see your studios and your fabulous quilts. I think it would be nice if you set up some kind of support group to help each other. I wish there were others closer to me. I guess the Kentucky gals and Tina from Cape are about the closest to me.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Anyone interested in a Michigan Long Arm support group, email me at barbara2765@sbcglobal.net. I know that I have a million questions about the tiniest details, like do I need to set up my own checking account for the business, credit card. Should I wait until the business name is all set up to start ordering supplies? Wow, on and on I could go. My mom is a long armer in Missouri. Some of you may know her, she is Carol Wiles. I keep asking her all kinds of questions. But it would be nice to know other people where I live.

Well Millennium arrived Friday. The FEDEX truck could not make it up our driveway so DH had to get his RAM PU and we loaded all 9 crates on and he drove it up to the garage, We unloaded it ourselves. Saturday we started putting it together. Sunday we were still trying to figure it out, Monday we managed to get most of it set up. We put the overhead wiring on and there was no way we could connect it to the electric. Maybe a remote!! or wireless. DH finally made up a connector box to get electric to the machine. We tried it out today but got so frustrated we quit. The instructions were so poor, I don't know who got this thing together in three hours. It has taken four days so far. Hopefully it gets better. We will both be 75 DH in May me in June. Maybe it was not such a good idea after all. One thing I do know. Whoever buys our house when we die gets the machine too. We are not moving it.

Marion,

We had an absolute terrible time setting my Millie up too. I was almost in tears just listening to my husband ask what we had gotten ourselves into. That was a couple of years ago. We have moved it to another part of the house since then and it was a breeze. I agree the instructions were difficult to follow and it seemed there were things left out of the instructions. When I would post what a difficult time we were having, it seemed no one else had a hard time, I thought it was just us. Take heart, once you get it together, you will not have any problems if you ever have to move it again. At least we didn't have to mess with the overhead lighting. Yikes, I would not want to introduce my husband to that option.:D The worst part is over, now you can start quilting - that is the fun part!! Have a great time.

Mary Beth

My DH didn't have any troubles putting together mine last fall. It took him about 5 hours. The one thing we did notice though was that the pictures in the manual that tells you how to put it together could have been better and more of them. It would have been nice to have had a step by step video or DVD to show set up...maybe this is something APQS can think about for the future. It wouldn't cost much to produce but would help out their customers alot.

Joann

Hi,

I'm not that mechanical, but I didn't have any trouble setting up my millie. I just followed the instructions in the binder and it took me about 4 hours. I don't have the overhead lighting, but I have all the other bells and whistles. Seven boxes arrived with mine. Everything was there and I was up and running in no time. I got either a free set up or a beginning class with the machine. I figured I needed the class worse than the set-up so I just jumped in and did it. I started quilting and have never looked back! It's a blast!

Still having fun,

Merry Jo

Creative Quilting

Valley Center, CA

We bought my Ultimate II used and got no set up instructions with it. Worse, the shippers destroyed the wooden table and my husband had to make a new one. I got instructions from somewhere, probably the website, but I'm not sure. We had my machine up and running in one afternoon, after the new table was built.

If you're really having problems setting it up, call Connie or Mark.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hey Barb,

I didn't know you were going to "rat" me out! I read a lot and post very seldom on here. You've just seen a few lately 'cause of MQS.

You have been given a lot of valuable information, and I hope you do contact the gals in Michigan and get a group going. There's nothing like seeing something from someone else's eyes.

Now, I know Barb isn't coming to MQS this year, but I sure hope some of the rest of you are going to be there. I think it's going to be a lot of fun and we have soooooo many classes for you to attend. Plus I know that some of you have quilts entered in the show.

We even have an "Education Aisle" with the Comparison Quilts. Losts of different ways to quilt a block!

See you at Christmas, Barb and see all the rest of you at MQS.

Carol Wiles

MQS Quilt Show Chairman

finalstitch@yahoo.com

Here's a thread started about it......

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=2225#pid16647

And a website-

http://www.quiltingonthewaterfront.com/

I am going to MQS for classes, so I won't take classes there, but may just swing through on the way to or back from the summer home in Ely, MN. If I can get DH to tolerate it...........

Archived