newbie getting scared

We are quilting on the Millenium. The overhead is just wiring no lights. We had it all set up plugged in the machine and the motor for rolling the quilt but there was no way to connect it to an outlet. The wiring hangs down over your face if you try to quilt from the back of the machine like pantos. So far I have just done some circles and straight lines with the Hartley thingy. I put a cheater quilt top on for practice. I have only done the quilting from the front. We have to get something to hold the wire up and out of the way. I thought for $600 there would be something better. We may end up removing it and just use an extension cord on the floor. DH was an electrician before he retired. Luckily he knew how to open the end of the outlet box and wired it so we could attach a power cord so we could get electric to the machine. Will let you know how things go. I have done 27 quilts on the machine he made me and the Mega Quilter. I still have 16 tops to do. They are all my own. I doubt if any of them will ever measure up to the quilts I have seen on this site. I doubt if I would ever do quilts for other people. Most people in my area frown on machine quilting. They do it by hand. It took me two years to do one by hand. I am running out of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Barb. I am brand new and your post is the first I have read. I would like to follow your progress and your thoughts. Have you made any new decisions, or are you still going to go for it? Please keep us updated! Best of luck.;)

Hi Jewels,

Yes, I am moving ahead. I am filling out my Business Registration Certificate as we speak. I have decided on the name Quilted Covers. As I stated I won't be taking delivery of my Liberty until sometime in July, but I am practicing with my Darelene Epp books. I am also planting the seed in my family's heads that I am going to MQS next year no matter what! So, are you also looking to start a business? Where are you? Feel free to email me whenever you like!

Barb:cool:

Hi Barb,

I am new here too and have been following your postings as it is my dream to open a business also, but am so afraid of stepping out of my comfortable boat. Please keep us informed. are you working out of your home? did you have to get special permission to do that?I have a ton of questions but will just keep looking here to see if they are answered. Blessings by the way on your adventure.

Bekah

Bekah, just keep reading as many posts here as you can. So many of your questions will be answered. The ladies here are very helpful and really nice. Yes, I'm working out of my home, and no I didn't need special permission. I do have to register my business name with the county and I will have to register with the state for sales tax, but I don't think there is anything else that has to be registered. As the women here have mention, it takes practice, practice, practice. And of course lots of patience from family members too. Blessings to you too, and hope you find the courage to step forward.

Barb:D

I have my business out of my home. I pay City and State taxes on only the things I buy and sell (like thread upcharges, quilt backs and batting, basically anything that I buy wholesale and then resell as part of the business) I talk to a CPA before filing my business paper work to see what I had to do and what not to do in my state and how to register my business either as a LLC or a sole papriortorship. My Cpa said the best way to go for me at the time was a sole papriortorship since I didn't have any partners and it was the easiest to maintain when tax time came rolling around which is when you pay tax on your earnings.

When I set up my bank account for my business the personal banker that was assigned to me was also helpful with the rest of the stuff you need to do to get a business up and running.

Also if you plan on having a website ( In my opinon now a days this is a must for any business) you need to register your business name and domain as well.

Good luck

Joann

You are all so wonderful to share with us "newbies" your expertise. I guess my fear is the same as most, will I be able to make enough to pay for my machine. My DH thinks I should just start making money right away and I know that is not realistic. On the other hand, I have too many "looking back in regrets" in my life when I just didn't go for it. Thank you for all the encouragement. I know that there are a lot of LA here in Oregon that do beautiful jobs and have a loyal following so that is another thing that is kind of a tug on my reigns. Funny how easy it is to think "I will never be good enough or fast enough or ..... and on." If only the "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" would finally take root in my heart. Anyway, thanks again and blessings to all.

Bekah

Hi all you Michiganers.

I am in South Haven and am a rep for APQS . I have classes at my studio and also travel. If you haven't taken the beginner class I teach it at my studio and it is a free class with the purchase of your machine. I do know of several groups in Michigan. Diana Phillips has a group over in the Detroit area and there is another in the Grand Rapids area. Jamie Wallen is starting one in Kalamazoo. anyways if you want to e-mail me I will send you my class schedule. I mostly teach free motion designs for custom quilting and we have a blast. I have 4 machines so there is a lot of hands on time.

DeLoa Jones

15804 M140

South Haven, MI 49090

269-639-2123

deloa@deloasquiltshop.com

Don't worry Bekah, I too am going through "self-esteem" issues. I see all the beautiful quilting that is out there, and I think, what am I thinking? But, I know that with practice and time, we can be good too. I have to keep reminding myself that it won't happen overnight. "One day at a time"! I would rather fail in the long run, than never have tried at all!

For the new quilters and wannabees, don't get discouraged by what you see others doing. My quilting is not even close to the level of some I see . . and probably never will be but with some practice and determination, you will all be doing wonderful quilting in no time. And, you will be proud of yourselves and your customers will be very proud of their completed quilts.

You don't even want to see the first few pieces I quilted (and I hope I never see them again either!).

We will never know what we can do if we don't try it so my suggestion is . . if you want to do it and you can afford it, do it and don't look back! It will be easy to second guess yourselves when the machine first arrives, your curves may have corners, your backing may have pleats, your straight lines are wobbly and worse, the customers don't call. But, that will all soon end and you will love every day you spend with your machine. But, if you keep thinking you can't do it, then you are right! Change that mindset. You CAN do, just like the rest of us have done it .. but only if you decide you can do it!

Most every APQS machine owner, as well as the sales staff and tech staff are here to help you along the way. How can you not succeed?:P

• 3 months later...

This thread is a little old but in case you're still searching for answers on how to promote your long-arm business, I noticed that nobody here mentioned anything about online marketing. I know alot of quilters are always online looking for information, supplies, tutorials etc., so, placing an ad online might be a good way to at least provide exposure to increase awareness for your new business. You can get an account with Google and place an ad through their adsense program. You can choose the zipcodes that your ad will appears in if you want to limit your advertising to just Michigan or any particular area where demand is strong. You only pay for clicks, you get to set the per click rate and your total monthly budget, so you have completel control over how much you will pay for your ad each month and you can quit at any time. I've used this method to promote my own home based business and it really works.

You might also think of creating a blog on Typepad. There are many blog widgets that you can use to help you create a dialogue with your potential customers. You can decorate your blog with widgets, like a Flicr photo album, to showcase your work, your studio, etc.. You can also offer information on pricing, contact information etc. If you get a business card printed and place your blog address on it, people are sure to look you up!

P.S.

I grew up in Michigan too!

If we gals let our fears stop us, there wouldn't be any more babies, Getting a LA. machine Is not nearly as hard as giving birth or as painful.

Sue Patten told me, she had to pull over to the side of the road, to chuck after she bought her first machine, (I chucked for three months having my first baby) & she has bought many machines since then. I didn't sleep very well, for quite some time, after buying my LA, but then I havn't slept well since Spencer was born 9 years ago).

Any way, I remembered that when my DH started his business 15 years ago, we invested $100,000.00 in the franchize, & when it when that went under, 2 years ago, we survived. So the cash I spent on my milli. dosn't even come close. Now our financies are still a mess, & getting the milli. made the mess even bigger, but we make ends meet, we have all that we need.

One day when I'm making a !*%$#@ of cash, things will be much better, Plus I can do this until I'm to old to see or stand........ya know around 90 or so :D

Gerry you are too funny. my eyesight seems to be getting older, but I just will buy new glasses and many magnifying lenses to put on top of each other if I have to. I plan on quilting until I can't sit anymore, wonder if i can figure out a way to quilt lying down if it comes to that, bet it could be done.

am I still petrified, you bet, but excited to get going and see what I can do.and I have the support of a husband who is excited to see what he can do on the machine. who knows maybe he will be the equivalent of a Mexican Ricky Tims.:P

I only chucked after resigned from a job I had held for 20 years. Even though I was going to a better job, it still scared the pants off of me. Took me two tries before I quit for good. Not to say I may chuck once this thing actually arrives.

I'm excited and scared at the same time. The beast is on it's way. But with all the wonderful support I have received thus far, I just know I am going to be okay. You guys are a wonderful, supportive group and need to give yourselves all a pat on the back.

Gail

Archived