Into the Shadows

Good Grief!! This was the first thing I read this morning! I'm so sorry this happened to you . I'm with everyone else on this Liam. I have never taken offense at anything you've posted and I am mystified that anyone could feel offended. I'm glad you have been able to read all of these encouraging posts. Hopefully the support from so many will help heal the sting caused by one.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all that was said above by the other quilters on this forum. If we all thought alike, spoke alike and did the same thing each other did...it sure would be a boring world (and maybe that is what that person wants). I am glad that we can say what we want...how else can we grow and become better at what we do and who we are if we aren't exposed to new ideas and processes.

Don't give that person control over who you are and what you do by becoming a lurker. Bullying people by anonymous mail is cowardly.

ARTISTIC EXPRESSION in any form is NOT gender specific! Check out Phil Beaver and his wonderful quilts, also Jamie Whalen, or Adam C. (on MQResource)

Liam....when I move to WI (hopefully soon...have to wait for the house to sell) maybe we should meet for coffee!

Another new owner/lurker here, and I am truly saddened by this. Quilting, as with every other facet of my life, demands that I have input and opinion from people whose life experiences differ from mine. If not for that, how would I ever learn.

And to whomever felt obliged to slam Liam - the next time you get the urge . . . write the email, but send it to yourself, and see how you would feel getting something like that in your inbox.

Welcome Back Liam!

Gee I guess I have my head in the batting because I don't really notice who is male or female. Of course if the avatar is clear on the sex then yes I know but I really don't pay a whole lot of attention, just read the words and look at the quilts. Sorry someone was so uppity that they sent you that e-mail, sucks when people feel the need to do that. Glad you decided to stay.

WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!..... this was the first post I also read (it's tonight here.............

Firstly Liam, I cannot think of one single thing that you have "said" on any post that could possibly have been offensive. As everyone else has said, I have not given this vindictive and cowardly person the authority to speak on my behalf. How dare they!!!

Do not listen to the negative ideas put forward by this person, listen to US. We are the once who want you here. Just as we have been shown friendship, support, care, concern, respect, humour and love we want to pass this on to you or anyone else who will join this forum in the future. We are all adults, from many different facets of society and dispersed throughout the World, all have a love of quilting and all have differing opinions which we are all happy to share!!

Secondly, welcome to all you Lurkers!!! Great to hear from you and as you can see, we do not take kindly to one of our own being mistreated. This is one of the greatest forum for friendships, support and ideas. Be it quilt related or not, we love to share and support. Ask and you will be given!! Be it prayers, help with rogue customers, venting because you have had to frog the same row a third *#---**&^ time because of an error purely created by you, you need a recipe for muffins, you need Shannon to give you some of her wonderful doodles or ideas from any of the other wonderful quilters on this forum for a quilt that just doesn't speak to you or you just need to brag about a quilt just completed because your partner just doesn't quite get it, this is the place to be. (how is that for a long sentence... at least I gave you lots of comas)

Regards,

Originally posted by Gail O

And to whomever felt obliged to slam Liam - the next time you get the urge . . . write the email, but send it to yourself, and see how you would feel getting something like that in your inbox.

I love this idea! Thanks Gail. It's a great one for people to remember if they're ever inclined to be mean. I hope whoever sent the email to Liam reads it.

As someone else said......this forum sure pulled quite a few people out of lurkdom.

Welcome to all the newbies.......Don't forget, WE LOVE PICTURES!!! :)

Liam,

What this person forgot was that always she is responsible for how she feels about what you wrote. What I mean is that I think this person is putting onto you what she is ignoring in her own life. She asks you to reexamine your posts without regard that with the one finger she uses to point at you, three more are pointed back at her. Make your hand point, visually you will see what I mean.

I am the one who invited you to the new Northern Illinois Longarm Meeting. We had one gentleman join us and I was disappointed that you were unable to attend. I hope you'll come next time.

You are wanted, you are respected and your opinions are valued just like every one elses. It is up to the individual to decide what they choose to write, respond to and to choose how they feel about a subject.

The good thing about your post is that it brought out lurkers to the forum. Thank you for your openness in discussing this on forum. All are welcome here.

Oh Liam I am soooo sorry that someone has such a hateful spirit and had to take their nastiness out on you. You have never posted anything offensive to me and I find it wonderful that you quilt and that you come and chat with your family, cause that is what we are, a family.

I very seldom have my posts answered too but didn't think I was supposed to go into the shadows because of it. Please stay.

Liam,

How disheartening it was to read your original post, but how uplifting it is to see all the support you could ever ask for from all the wonderful PEOPLE on this forum! I ditto all the positive comments that's been said here and welcome you to stay out of the shadows. I love seeing the animal picture pop up when you post. Now if you posted a tick picture, well I'm having tick issues right now and I don't want to see any more! Hope this made you smile.

QUILTERS ROCK!

Wow, I am STUNNED by this posting. I, too, have been away for a few days and just read the post this morning. I am so sorry for you that this happened as from your postings you come across as an intelligent, interesting person who has a full life, loving family, and unusual animal interests! LOL Oh, and you are a talented quilter who happens to be male!!

I really can't add anything to the other replies, just to say that I agree with everyone's comments regarding your posts and comments (positive!!) and disappointment in the mean-spirited anonymous e-mail you received. Maybe this person has something against llamas (or vicunas)!

I was also shocked by the number of people who said they have received similar vicious e-mails. Zikes, what is going on and can we all expect to receive one? This is the first forum I have joined as I am not computer-savvy and am not experienced in forum etiquette, etc. Would hate to step on someone's toes inadvertently and then be dressed down via e-mail. So, I will apologize in advance to anyone I have offended or may offend in the future. To me this forum has been a wealth of information, and many times I have a question but through reviewing the day's postings I find that my question/problem/whatever has been addressed and answered by others.

So, Liam, hang in there, continue to comment, post, share, at your heart's content. There are far too many nice people willing to share, listen and help for you or anyone else to be chased away by anonymous naysayers!

Oh, and by the way have been meaning to ask...how is the shoulder recovering?

Forgot to add my welcome to all the lurkers and newbies! You will receive a warm welcome here and advice/solutions/tips for just about anything you can imagine!!

Keep quilting, smiling, sharing,

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

I have been away for awhile, and just this morning logged in for the first time, I was shocked to read Liam's post. I just want to say that I certainly don't feel that way, and I am so glad that you decided to stick around and share with us. That is what makes this forum so unique, everyone shares, take what you what and leave the rest! WELCOME BACK!

Well! I guess you got a few responses to your comment! Whoever said that is someone that doesn't need to be on this board at all. I've been reading this board for years and never heard anyone make a comment about men not being welcome. Sometimes I'll get a chuckle when someone writes something to the effect of "Come on girls, need your input." Then you'll see, "Hey! What about us guys?" Yes, guys can quilt, too, and their opinion is welcome!

What I always liked about this board is the fact that nobody care what machine you have or where you live, we all just shared our love of quilting in all venues. I stopped reading another forum because of all the negative, nasty comments and jabs that were flying. I had never commented on the other board, but would read it. It got so bad, I cancelled my subscription.

I've learned a lot from this board and hope it stays positive instead of becoming like the other one. I teach longarming to a group that mainly has Tin Lizzy's always encourage them to check out the board and tell them how to search for topics to get information they may need. Some boards are only for the people who own that particular machine. I think it shouldn't matter. Anyway, you're more than welcome!

Liam,

That person does NOT speak for me. I welcome your critique. How else would I know

if Iam going in the right direction. I appriciate all of the artist in this forum who do the same.

Good Day, Friend

A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and he who plants kindness, gathers love.

Basil

Carmen

Liam,

This is the first post I am reading today and what a start of the day. First of all, I have never given anyone permission to speak for me. Since the person who wrote you seems to think they are the sole person to decide who should be on the forum, I think they need serious help.

Second, I have always felt that your comments are good. Just last night I had a death grip on my machine and therefore was having problems. I thought of one of your posts and put the radio on. You are right it does relax you to be listening to something.

Stay with us Liam.

Pamela

So glad to see all the support for you Liam! I have had a lot of family and health problems lately and haven't commented on much of anything here for a while. The energy in me gets sucked out elsewhere. But you are so talented and one of the most well rounded, and grounded males I've every had the honor of knowing anything about. Life is all about balance, some have it, some don't.

Live, Laugh, Love, and pray for those who can't.

Love, Peace and God's Light to you and your lovely family.

Kay

Well Liam looks like you have a great deal of FRIENDS on this board and I hope that you won't let one apple spoil it for you or us. I hope you continue to post. I can honestly say that this is the most positive forum I have ever been on and perhaps the other person, who thinks they are in charge for all of us here, may now take a look at these posts and realize that they are NOT. We come here for support and ideas and the last time I looked, as long as you were a quilter or a wanna be quilter you are welcome here. Hope this is a lesson, that NO ONE has a right to say that one is not welcome because of gender. And that ends my soapbox speach for the day:):):) I really do appreciate this forum and want it to stay a good place to be...

OMG!!! I'm stunned, speechless, jaw on the floor..........and so sad that such a thing has happened to you, Liam, and anyone else on this forum. I am moved to tears for you all. This "mystery" person does not speak for me either!

Everything Shana said, I second!

I don't need to go back and re-read your posts, you're always a gentleman and I love to hear your ideas and about your projects, as I do all the other quilters here. My goodness, my posts are rarely commented on -- and I've never thought about it or worried about it. I do think though on this thread alone you have overwhelmingly won the prize for most replies to your post! LOL!

Stay, be here as always, comment when you are moved to, share as you always do.

Thank you for staying. Quilt on, my friend! :):):)

Originally posted by Liam1964

Into the Shadows

I recently received a so called anonymous message/email from a fellow member of this forum.

I think you should post the email you received... this sort of behavior is uncalled for and IMHO they should be exposed for the type of person they are... keep posting, liam!

charla

Archived