Into the Shadows

Hi Liam,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth and give you another (yet another . . . ) big ole hug. I belong to several Chat groups and none are as really "just plain nice" as this one. I'm always hesitant to post because I'm rarley answered, but when I am, the answers have been "right on the money" and have thankfully been kind and gracious. Are we to feel our worth or popularity is guaged by the # of responses? Nah, don't buy into that one . . . it's just a head trip to use an old Hippie term. One of the groups I really lurk on is a horse group, heaven forbid. It has several regularly contribuiting members that seem to really take pleasure in stirring up the ire of the group. At least your "correspondent" didn't include attacks on your belief system or your political preferences, that's the common mode of stirring behavior on the "horse" site.

Kinda makes a person wonder what makes some people tick doesn't it? It's hard not to buy into their pokes and prods 'cause it is hurtful and downright untrue, as well as not pertaining to the group focus, but apparently that's how some get their jollies or what they do for entertainment.

Personally, I love that you are male, a horseman, ex-bull rider, animal lover (a tiger, no less) and incredible quilter. Wow your quilts are really beautiful! Keep giving us gals glimpses of the male perspective and above all keep on Quilti'n. I have looked for and not found anything but friendly, supportive, quilt oriented comments from you, so stay out here in the Sunshine and talk quilt with us gals . . .

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six pages and 125 posts, now 126 in a twenty-four hour period, that just might have to be a record!!

Liam very happy that you didnt listen to that email and were brave enough to expose it. Hopefully whoever sent the email will think twice about doing something like that again.

Dear Liam,

I read several pages of this post and it seems everyone wants you to stay here on our chat. I feel so bad that someone was so mean and nasty to you. That is so wrong! I hope you can put that aweful comment behind you and stay here with the rest of us. You are very welcome here. Please come back.

Sandy

Liam

Everything has been said in volumes and I am pleased you realise that this email was not written by someone who represents anyone here.

Isn't it great that out of something so negative a great and positive strength should be revealed.

Keep posting, reading and enjoying this forum, it is for the benefit of all and yours along with everyone's contributions help make it what it is.

I've just caught up with this post. Why would anyone do such a thing.....Go figure!

The only thing I can add is perhaps we should not pay any attention to anything said by someone who does not identify themselves. Very bitter/twisted behaviour me thinks and it should be ignored.

On a very possitive note, I'm so pleased it's turned out so beautifully. Those who should be here are, and we have lots of new friends to welcome too :)

I hope you have a wonderful day today Liam :) :) :)

Cheers

Stay in the sunlight. The concept of a forum is that listening to differing opinions adds to our understanding and all are free to speak.

In this forum the voices are generally in support of the participants - this makes it a very nice community. If the forum has a fault, it does not produce too many dissenting voices - this perhaps limits the forums participants ability to give and receive fearless advice. It could be improved by having topic on "How could I have improved this" which would encourage the discussion on improving: design; technique; and long term durability. For example there is a lot of discussion on thread but most of it is about how to quilt with it and rarely about what will be the long term effect of using particular threads on "this" quilt which will be used in "this" way.

I think it would be important to put separate this topic so it was clear that the participants were inviting critical opinion rather than support.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch...meaning I hope you don't think this person's opinion is reflective of the rest of us. Nice thing about a chat site, if I don't like what you have to say, I just don't read on. That's my right and your right to express yourself. Hope you are here to stay.

WOW. I haven't had a chance to log on for a few days and OMG I could not believe what I was reading. Liam I'm glad you didn't listen to whoever wrote you that e-mail. I hope whoever wrote it realizes how incredibly insensitive they are. I would love to read the actual e-mail. I think this person needs to be exposed. It is unbelievable to me how cowardly some people are. Shame on them!!! This forum has been very inspiring and uplifting to me not to mention informative. This person does not speak for me and apparently not for all the others that have responded here. Anyway. again, SHAME on them!!!:mad::mad::mad: Don't you dare let this person run you off of this forum. I'm just glad you responded to this person openly instead of from "the shadows". I could go on and on but I''m sure you are getting the point. Glad your here.

I debated for almost two days after receiving this email on weather or not to post anything about it. I must of read it 20 plus times, the more I read it, the more it bothered me. Before deciding to post I had my daughter and my best friend read it. They both told me to delete it (as several others here said to do), that it is just some A___hole trying to get at me, and who cares what people think. Ten or so years ago I would of just deleted it right away and never gave it a second thought. But I guess with some of my life experiences since then and with age I have gotten more sensitive. I'm glad I dedided to post a thread about it, So much more positive has came out of it than negative. You all are a great bunch of people here and I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement and support. Thank You All!!!

Originally posted by Liam1964

I'm glad I dedided to post a thread about it, So much more positive has came out of it than negative. You all are a great bunch of people here and I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement and support. Thank You All!!!

Liam,

Six pages of people asking you to stay on the post should totally convince you that you are wanted here. I'm glad you came to that conclusion. :) I'm looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your quilts.

Sandy

Rita Thank you for the wonderful comments on my animals. I no longer have them, I had to get rid of them when the family farm sold. I miss them, but they all went to loving and caring homes. When we had the family farm I had horses and did a lot of work with the local 4-H, one of the mothers work for the Humane Society and asked me if I would be interested in being a rescue station for horses. On one rescue the Humane Society siezed 3 horses, 1 mule and a zebra, I ended up taking all 5 animals in. I ended up falling in love with the zebra and kept it. With having the zebra I met and became friends with others who had exotic animal farms; things just took off from there.

My quilting machine is a Ultimate 1 with Intellistitch, I don't have a computerized system. I can't afford something that grand. I have a quilting friend near by that does have a Gamill with a computerized system.

Liam,

I have been reading this thread: I must say that if steel toe shoes and being able to shoot make a Homidical quilter then I fit the group. ( I learnt to shoot when my DH was a State Constable in SC. It was to protect myself with living out on 15 acres and DH's career.)

Yes shooting targets with good groupings are important. And wearing steel toed shoes to protect yourself from harm. PPE (personal protection equipment) is essential in many jobs/careers. Yet the pen is mighter.since in emails it destories self esteem and values. We all must look deep into ourselves and the Lord then decide what is important.

Men are the majority of my life. As a Director of Manufacturing Development, I have spent most of my professional career and college working with men. We are all humans and should treat each other with respect.

I have been following this thread since I posted my welcome back. We ( female or male) are the masterminds that make this forum wonderful.

I have had many harass words said to me in my career. Yet I am still working in a male dominant world. Regardless of the sex or our co-workers words both verbal and written can be harass. We must stop and review how much control that person has over us.

I know in my heart that when I leave my career in fifiteen to twenty years, some will sing praises and others will say that I did not know what I was doing. The one that matters is my family, God and myself. Not necessarily in that order.

Liam please realize that we are sensitive to words yet, some never learn the value of constructive cristism. We will never make everyone happy , yet we need to do what is in our hearts.

Let's all take this forum to the level that we are all quilters. No one is perfect and I will be the first to admit that I have a long way to go... Yes, the only one that is perfect is God.

Let's have fun, share our opinions, and know that you are talking with friends that care. We all may not agree but at least we all can agree to disagree at the appropriate time. We all learn from the remarks of our friends.

I am sorry for rambling but I think this thread has lived enough..All lurkers and newcomers welcome. We are all quilters and love what we do.

Originally posted by dnice

I must say that if steel toe shoes and being able to shoot make a Homidical quilter then I fit the group.

Welcome to the Homicidal group....there are actually many many of us...steel toed packing mama's...and dad's here... to me they are just plan comfy...since I no longer work in the field anymore (although I to get drug out once or twice a year) I just like to wear them. But honestly if God had wanted me to wear shoes, he would have given them to me before I was born. So barefooted me is what you see more often, at least until the snow starts to fly.:P:P:P The shooting part was just a thing you learned to do...it sure beat being hungry. The ranch I was raised on was a cattle ranch, but honestly we ate very little of it....that was the next years paycheck so we lived on the wild game around there.

I have been gone since last Wed and I just read this post. I can't believe someone has the nerve to speak for the rest of us! Don't let one rotten person spoil this wonderful place for you. I can't ever remember reading any of your posts that would have possibly offended me. I look forward to all the diverse ideas out there. It just expands my ideas of quilting!

I am glad, Liam, that you decided to stay on the forum with us.

Where have I been the past few days...this is the first time I have seen this, and I am outraged that someone has the nerve to try to bully you to not post anymore...

This forum is opened to all quilters, male and female with all sorts of views, opinons and so forth. If the person who e-mailed you privately has a problem than perhaps that person should bring their problem to the forum, openly to be discussed by all. If not perhaps they are the one that should go.

Please don't stop posting...this person (who ever they are) does not speak for me...In fact I am more than capable of speaking for myself ;)

I have been a lurker for a couple years. The help i get from this forum is priceless. I read parts of it everyday. When i have a question the selfless outpouring is incredible. This forum is one of the main reasons i chose my Millie.

I find it sickening that anyone would send an anonymous email attacking someone.:mad: I find it hard to believe it would be any of the regulars, as none of them seem to be cowards.

Just reply - BUZZ OFF,COWARD!!

Hope to be reading from you!:)

Archived