HELP! I'm afraid I'll go blind....

I'm working on a new quilt for my show booth - hand-dyed bright stars on black background, with dimensional flying geese in the borders. I'm trying McTavishing for the first time (emphasis on the trying, can't say I'm succeeding......)

Problem here is that I can't seem to find a lighting solution that makes this any easier. I've tried sidelighting - usually works when the thread matches the background, especially with black on black, like I'm using now. But then I can't see to backtrack along the previous element to go in a new direction, which is key in McTavishing, I think.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of stitching situation? Suggestions?

I've just had to put my dried bean brain to work on a similar project. First I stitched the element, then lightly marked it with a white pencil and use that as a guide back. I Only used 3 or 4 marks, but then kept the McT short, only about 2 " in length. It helped and worked.

Hope you can find something similar.

RitaR

Barb,

I'm afraid you might go blind too ;):D

I think Janette is right. Turn off the lights in your room and if you don't have natural lighting, try the light from just your machine. That is what I do when quilting white on white and it works perfect. Haven't ever tried black on black....and don't plan to start. But it looks beautiful so far.

Well, I don't have the overhead lights (sorry, Michelle!), the bendable lights -- or night-vision goggles!:P Natural light isn't much of an option here in my "dungeon" - I get sunlight sometimes, but today it's raining, so no joy. I'm making progress - halfway done with this quilt, which is good, since I'm expecting to display it in my booth next weekend......

Thanks for all the compliments, ladies - sooooo glad you can't see the rest of the quilt, with all my bobbles.....

The quilt is not mine....I quilted it for a first time customer. She was very happy with it.....she worked on the applique for 2 years./ I do not know what the pattern is but it is the most beautiful, almost perfect applique I have ever seen. I was very intiminated about quilting it!!!

Janette

Archived