Good news - Bad news - 30's quilt is finished - I'm so bummed!

Wow! I was so excited! When I took my 30's quilt off the machine it was perfectly flat! I couldn't wait to try a new binding technique... well, not really a technique, but "style"?

Anyway, I first put on my rick rack - Love the new wider rick racks - then the tiny blue piping, then the binding strip. Since there was a lot of bulk from the rick rack and piping, I trimmed close, and made the binding a 2 1/2 double fold binding... (more bulk).

As I was working on it I saw that the edges curled a bit but I thought it would again flatten out when it was done! Silly me! So, if you have any ideas, I think wetting it and stretching the edges and pinning them will help, but I live in a parking lot and have no floor room to do that... I actually thought about pinning it to the wall (where it is now) and spraying it with water and putting a fan on it!!!! LOL

So any help would be great! (no, I'm not taking off the binding to fix it) Guess this one won't be going to the show! But the good news is that if it doesn't fix well, at least I know it will "hug" the bed!

Thanks to all my great 30's exchange friends too! I do LOVE this quilt even it it is wonky!

luv -b

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobbi, I love your quilt. I think you are on the right track to get it blocked. Would it be possible to do one side at a time to stretch it? Then your whole floor wouldn't be inturupted. I love the star cornerstones and the rick rack. But best of all, I love your quilting. :D

I feel your pain on the binding curling. I've got one quilt that I love and when I put on the bias binding, it caused it to cup too. :(

Thanks Sheri - Like I said, it will hug the bed well...

I really enjoy the friendship blocks as it gives me something special to practice new things on... I've already done a lot of ripping out when I didn't like a design, so I'm hoping for a way to just make it be a bit more flat.

I have to say, Melora, your block really had me stumped! (bottom row, 2nd from left) I love it because it's so unique, but I really had a hard time coming up with a quilting design for it!

Thanks again to all the participants!

Oh Bobbi it is a stunning quilt, all the ways you have quilted it just are beautiful. I am so sorry that it ended up curling like it did. I do believe it will be helped greatly if you are able to get it blocked. Actually I wonder if you couldn't pin it securly to the wall and spray it down like you suggested. It deserves to be in a show cause it is really beautiful

Bobbi, What a shame, It's easy to see you put your heart and soul in that quilt. If It were mine and I did all that work to show it, I would rip out the binding and start again. I do that all the time when I'm quilting for others, why not mine?

Or, you could live and learn and duplicate it.

I hope someone comes in here and explains why it hangs that way. Bobbi, it is simply divine! I love every element you put into it. I wish that we could have a special category at MQS to display these quilts as an exhibit--a group exhibit. They have been delightful to see finished. Mine is coming along slowly but it is in progress at least.

I will bookmark this one for reference. What could you have done differently to prevent this?

Beautiful. This is a very pretty quilt. Your quilting is outstanding. Love the colors...love everything!

I make single fold bias binding myself and it seems to lay flatter. I got away from double fold a very long time ago. I cut my fabric at 1-3/4" on the 45 degree and don't seem to have this problem. Could it just be all the bulk and the shrinkages are so different in the amount of materials in the binding??

Still gorgeous. You should be very proud of yourself on finishing such a beautiful quilt. :)

Archived