Good news - Bad news - 30's quilt is finished - I'm so bummed!

Bobbi,

I love this quilt. You did a great job.

I would say to get it blocked correctly you are going to have to "nail it down". You need some space, and I know you don't have any room. But, you need to be able to get the quilt wet, then pin it down stretching it to make is square. Then you could put a fan on it. But you need to really get it pinned - a lot! Even then I'm not sure it would work. At least you are looking at the bright side..."hug the bed"! I love that!!

I have heard that you can get this by machine basting close to the edge when getting ready to quilt. I do that with all of mine and...knock on wood...none of them has done this. I also received an email from Carla Barrett (Love her quilting) and she bastes the edges of her quilts too, and doesn't have this problem, so I'm thinking there must be something else that causes this. Whatever it is...don't do it again...and if you figure out why it did this....let us know so we don't do it ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobbi your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I'm afraid to say that taking off the binding might be the only way that you will get it to lay flat. It looks like the binding was a little smaller than the top or maybe it is that the binding doesn't give at all because of the rick-rack. I would try blocking it but I'm not convinced that will solve it. I love this binding though! Really makes the quilt even more dramatic than it already is! Beautiful job.

Bobbi, what a beautiful quilt and I love every bit of it. The curl is like a hug for your bed or wall. What caused it I'm not sure. But did you use an even feed foot to pull all the fabric thought the sitching area evenly? That may have prevented the stretching and easing. I read somewere to sew small width twill tape to the edge of the quilt before adding binding to prevent problems. i haven't tried that but do know from tailoring classes to swink it first. Another thought would be to sew the rickrack to the piping and binding before sewing all of it to the quilt.

I sure hope the blocking will do the trick.

Again it is just down right WOW!

I made a little sundress and had this happen on the first of two armholes with this treatment. I removed (gasp!) the edging, and concentrated hard on using too much rick rack. The first time I stitched , I didn't realize that the rickrack had stretched because I did not pin it flat to start with, so when all was done, the rickrack pulled back to its original length, which was too short. Adding the binding made it worse. The tape nature of the rickrack makes it really hard to block to a new size, the poly rick racks even worse than the cotton ones. I only figured out this because the armholes were little, and I was willing to rip....the curves of the armholes were my learning experience.

I always take a little tiny tack stitch on the points that show if the item is to be washed, Makes the item just a little easier care with almost no ironing needed.

I think I read a neat article about rick rack from Mary Engelbriet, but can't think of where or even when...:cool: Pat

Bobbi, it looks to me as if the binding might have gotten to tight around that quilt. The thickness of the layers took up the length and width you needed. In other word, if the binding (being that thick) have been longer and wider you would not have had that problem. I know you don't want to hear this but it would be a shame to leave it in. That quilt is stunning and the binding just has it twisted. Your quilting is beautiful!

BOBBI

I agree that this quilt is beautiful and needs to be shown, if blocking doesn't cure or help the problem enough then go ahead and redo it until you are satisfied. If you dont want to redo it still show it and put it in not to be judged. just for show. Either way it is gorgeous and I wouldnt let the binding stop me from showing it off. Love the binding and the rick rack. I have an idea for you to try that might help to stretch out the bottom corners if that is where the problems lie> I saw a quilt that was hung with weights stitched to the back in the middle and on the corners. They seemed to be large steel washers, I guess it was just to keep it from curling up or whatever but if you hung it with a sleeve on the top and sprayed the bottom and had it weighted maybe it would with time pull the curl out of it. You could keep spraying it every so often if it seems to be working. If you have the same problem on the top after it has worked on the bottom put the sleeve on the bottom hang it upside down. Never tried it but it sounds reasonable to me that it might work. Might be worth a try.

Love the quilt and yes I would be upset too, but we know there has to be a solution. Congratulations on all your beautiful quilting.

Oh You are all tooo wonderful with your ideas and sympathies! Thank you so much!

I think what Pat F. said is correct. I think that when I put the rick rack on it must have stretched and I didn't notice. What's frustrating is that I'm always so careful about that. So, I went around the quilt 3 times, 1 x for rick rack, 1 x for piping, and 1 x for binding. That must have tightened up the edges and made them curl. You are right MB, I won't be doing that again. Lesson learned!

I agree that it should come off and be re worked. I had purchased the rick rack at the NQA show and didn't have enough so I had to wait to get more. I would have to purchase more to fix it as I had trimmed it after it was sewn and it just falls apart.

Here's my solution for now:

I'm going to try to leave it on the wall and spray it with water and dry it... I'll have to turn it to do the bottom. If that doesn't work, then it'll just go on my bed for a while til I can get time to get 'er done!

Thanks for all your help and I AM so happy with it, I LOVE how the quilting came out. and I love that you love it too!

It's such a beautiful quilt, if hanging it out doesn't work, I vote you wait for a day in the snow country (OH!!) when you don't want to do anything but curl up in front of a fire and stay warm....Put this beautiful quilt on your lap, frog to a good TV movie, take a sip or two of hot chocolate, and re-apply at leisure...:D:D Pat

Bobbi if it makes you feel better I had to rebind the wedding quilt I did for my son. You can ask Bonnie who I called in a sheer panic! LOL I sent her a picture of my lovely friendly border. I too knew what had to be done but needed Bonnie to tell me to breath! LOL it wasn't so bad and I learned a great lesson. From then on I've pinning my bindings on while the quilt is laying flat and then take it to my machine and stitch. That way I'm absolutely sure it goes on right. I don't have to pin a ton either, just enough to hold it in place. I know Sharon Schamber glues hers in place and then stitches it.

When you put the rick rack and piping on did you put them on like you would a border or did you do it in one continous piece rounding each corner? I find that when I use rick rack or piping I need to apply it in 4 pieces like a border so that they are measured the same for top and bottom and each side. I think you will find it will hang perfect. Then put your binding on using whatever technique you normally use. I think you will be very happy. Your quilting is beautiful!! bj

Bobbi, even though it's ripply it's fabulous. If it were mine I would take the binding off and redo it, just because I would want it to be perfect to match the perfect quilting job.

If it makes you smile like it is, and you are happy with it, then try blocking it and then leave it alone.

It's truly beautiful.

I have also learned to pin my bindings on - as well as using bias binding on important quilts. Then, If there ends up being a slight wave which often occurs with QD Wool and QD Puff, I know things will lay flat with a minor block (sometimes with just a touch of the steam iron). I have a quilt in my hall that will never lay flat unless it gets the big time block and that ain't gonna happen until I need to wash it - boy am I lazy sometimes!!!

Archived