Diagnal and CQ

Grammie

Ok if I were to do a quilt with the Log Cabin pattern and it had the light and dark color layout to form diamond shapes to use my CQ and keep the pattern within the color boundaries of that pattern how would I approach this?

An example would be Linda Lawson's new Log Cabin 2006 quilt. It appears they were sewn on the diaganal or was the Quilt loaded on point or am I looking at this wrong.

I would like my feathers to flow within the color changes within the Log cabin top.

I hope I am being clear. Difficulty in explaining this.

Any suggestions would be great.

Tammie, I believe that Linda loaded and unloaded her quilt many times to get the patterns to flow correctly. She did load the quilt on point and the normal way. If you check her chat board, she posted about how she did this. She also used the boundary feature.

I could Darlene but only the space within the sewing area.

Take the Log Cabin by Linda that she used her new Log Cabin designs on and if you look at the quilt it appears the light/dark areas of the Log is done as if it were a Border from corner to corner. This would mean she had to load it on Point to get it lined up to go from one end to the other.

I could be looking at this incorrectly of course. I mean you have to have all the Math and Measurements to the T before you could load this quilt and properly layout the designs to fit properly. I purchased the designs and they are really lovely but getting the look that she has seems to me to take ALOT of time. I was hoping someone knew a good order to approach this. I could be missing something here. I am a student learner of CQ.

I hope I explained it ok.

I haven't loaded on point. That makes me nervous. Not sure how to approach that.

Tammie, here is a partial copy of the post which Linda did regarding how she loaded her "monster" quilt to do the log cabin. She loaded the quilt a total of 6 times -- she used the CQ for 98% of the quilting. (I tried to copy her pictures but they didn't come in. If you are a member of longarmchat - do a search for "monster" and her post will be there - date is about the middle to the end of March.

"First off.... This quilt had to be loaded a total of 6 times. First I ran my borders with it loaded straight. Then I had to turn it straight again to run the rest of the borders.

It had to be loaded diagonally because the customer requested that it would look nice to run vines of feathers up the diagonals. I said "of course I can do that".....what a mistake that was. So after I got to working on it I figured it would just be easier to load the diagonals in sections. I did not roll the whole king size quilt up diagonally. I felt I would have had more issues trying to do that. "

Archived