NQR - a day of fusteration!

Okay, for all you handy women (who don't have a handy-man spouse or male friend) and do a lot of the work yourself...such as me.

I am trying to replace a faucet in the downstairs bathroom. No problem...turn off the water, disconnect the water lines, get one of the plastic bolts that holds the faucet on loosened...but the other one is what I call "man tightened". :mad: It is on there so tight I can't budget it. :mad: So now I am waiting for my daughter's boyfriend to "man loosen":D it in order to continue with my project.

I am a fairly strong person and usually don't have problems loosening nuts or screws from light fixtures.

The other project that I started today was to replace the security light outside. Again no problem with unscrewing one screw, but I'll be darned if the other one isn't rusted and I don't have the strength to loosen it. Anyway...I did call the electrician for that one. I have a feeling the screw is going to strip and I or my DBF won't be able to do anything.

One the bright side I did get a quilt finished!:D

Just had to vent!!

Off to feed the dogs and then work on binding a quilt!

I tried the vise grip, but I can't get the right angle. It is on a pedestal sink and close to the wall so there just isn't room for much of anything.

Shannon...I tried WD-40 on the rusty bolt, but I'll give it a whirl on the sink. I am still waiting for the BF and I am not very good at waiting. I think it is my ADHD:P:P:P

Once again I broke the head off my needle bar screw. Had to drill it out to get the needle out. Thank goodness I have the other side. They need to start using the tiny screws that are inset and you use that allen thingy. Hey, I know what I'm talking about, really.

Anyway, Cheryl, I'm in the same boat. Although, I bought a duplex with my little brother and he lives right next door. Pretty handy at times.

Advice from Dennis the tool guy--look for a product called Kroil Oil. It is a penetrating oil which displaces water and loosens even rusted screws. It is easier to find at auto supply stores, but you can find it on-line.

(Psst--secret--Den used it to loosen my rocker-arm spring when I forgot about it for way too long. Gave it a squirt and literally 15 seconds later it was humming along.)

Originally posted by AbigailE

Whats a rocker arm spring? My ignorance is showing.

Take off the left side cover plate. The rocker assembly is the springy-thingy at the left side. It looks like a face--the two eyes and the nose--the arm pivots at the nose. It runs the hopping foot. If you grab the assembly at the eyes and twist it left (counterclockwise) the spring will depress and a space above the spring will open. Put a couple of drops of oil in that gap--above the solid metal piece and below the rubber grommet. Every six months if you remember, or be like me and let it get sticky and take an hour to figure out what is wrong!!:D

Page 5 of the paper manual.

good tips the kroil oil and teh rocker arm spring I never heard about that either. the things you learn here, I wll definately look for that Kroil oil as I am always having to fix things that dont want to budge. I am definately a do it myself type of girl and hate to ask hubby to help me do anything, we dont work on projects together, that is how we have stayed married 36 years, :P:P

Jeanne,

What a hoot...that you don't work together on projects...but I agree it is one way to stay married:P:P

My DH is NOT, I repeat, NOT a handy person and I end up doing the projects:D There are times I don't mind, but there are times when help would be nice.

I figure that if BF (who works out with weights) can't get the screw off...we're in trouble. I am taking apart the sink today to flip the bowl upside down for a better angle. Sometime I think it is easier to just replace the sink!:P

More leverage. Putting a piece of tubing over the wrench can give you just enough to undo things. Also, if you can lie on your back and use your foot that will often do the trick. You have more muscle in your butt than in your arm. Whenever you enhance your strength just make sure to apply the force gently, shearing bolts is really annoying.

Ferret

Cheryl

This is exactly the case with my DH he is totally not mechanically minded, I just tell him to stay in the kitchen where he belongs as He Is A Chef! No I am not being sexist, but we both just do what we do best and with him it is the cooking and shopping etc. which I hate to cook or shop, so heck it works for us, kind of backwards from most people but if it has worked for 36 years why change it now. Me on the other hand, I am very mechanically minded and it comes natural to me, example the first day I met my husband I had to fix his snowmobile:P:P

That is okay though I know that is why the Good Lord put us together and we balance each other out wonderfully!! He does help me with man power when it is too heavy or hard for me to do though! So I guess I will keep him around for another 30 or so years!!:cool:

A hammer and a wood chisel with tap, tap taps loosened the plumbing fixture. But I did take the sink off to get better leverage.

The electrician came out and installed the light so one project down and one more to go:D:D

Jeanne...you are lucky that your DH is a Chef! YUMMY!!:D

Archived