Water Leak From My Iron

I really don't know, but it happened to me and I cleaned the iron over and over and finally bought a new one. Someone told me not to use my sink water but instead use the water that I bring in in jugs...I haven't had the problem since. My water in the sink runs from a cistern, I don't know if city water would create the same problem.

Good luck :) Sandra

I had an iron that did the same thing. I think you can run white vinegar mixed with water through your iron to clean it. I did that over and over until it was clean. I was too afraid to try it again, so I bought a Rowenta, it said to use tap water, not distilled water. So I did. I get a drip once in a while now, but it is clear with a little white flaky things - like mineral deposits. At least it isn't rust. I also cover my quilts or fabric with a piece of muslin that I call my pressing cloth. That protects it from whatever comes out of the iron. I now use my old iron for things like t-shirt quilts or dry ironing projects.

Hi Bobbie,

Are you right in the middle of tha quilt job?

I've had it happen to me even with my whiz-bang Rowenta.

The resulting watery rust spot came out when I washed

the quilt the first time. Of course, that was a pink quilt so

maybe it was hidden by the color.

The iron just did it to me with the current quilt too, one of my

own. Hard to hide that stain on white dimple fabric.I am still

in the piecing stage though. When I get home this

afternoon, I'll try some stuff (water, baking soda, vinegar

and (yikes) CLR) to pull the stain out and I'll let you know

what worked for me. I'll even sacrifice one of my 'stained'

blocks for this research.

Hang in there.

BJ,

Stains.....

My trusty assistant, Igor, and I went down to the laboratory

to conduct the rust removal experiment.

Plain water got most of the stain out but not all.

Vinegar water, same result. Baking soda wash, no

change.

Then Igor saw that the label on CLR said that it was corrosive. Hmmm, we decided that a stain was way better

than a hole in the quilt.

Igor and I are waiting to see if there are other solutions

to your stain, Bobbie.

Mad Scientist (aka Ramona-quilter)

post--13461897833429_thumb.jpg

Hi all you mad scientists!!

In the laundry section at the supermarket you may find little plastic bottles of stain remover liquids with the brand name "Carbona". There are different formulations for different stains--blood (used that one--don't ask!) milk based, rust, ink (it took out a transfer problem with a marker), etc. I have used a couple with good success. It must be thoroughly removed after, but you'll need to wash the quilt in any case. Keep us posted and good luck.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

for most of my stains i use ox-clean . i have use it to get rust out from the iron . and i have used it on pet stains. that i get on the walls from one of my dogs like to sleep behind the couch so the walls it dirty and the couch i have use it on there also

I've always used distilled water in my irons, but just last week I had the exact same thing happen to me. However, it was on a block I was making. Immediately I took it to the sink with a tooth brush and a product made by Zep (you can only buy at Home Depot) - I think it's called Orange Citrus cleaner. This is THE BEST orange cleaner on the market. I used to only be sold to large corporate users like Continental Airlines and car washes. I use it all the time in diluted form to clean everything from laundry (even blood stains) to my dishes. I've even used this non-diluted to strip wood floors. So, if you ever have an ugly stain on a quilt - this will get it out without damaging the fabric.

Pam Clark sells a product on her site called "Sew Clean"

on the label it says it removes rust stains, ball point pen ink, blood, grass, lipstick stains etc...

I used it on an old quilt, it was a custom quilt job and I had to use the blue washable marker on it, well when it was time to spritz the blue marker off the quilt the fabrics ran, leaving a nasty brown mark. Sew Clean and more clean water did the trick. And the customer never knew that there was a problem.

Joann Kabat

A big thank you to everyone for their input. I actually got it out with some Woolite and a soft brush using cold water. I also used an Instant Spot Remover made by Whink. Whink also makes a rust stain remover that I have used for years on both fabric and porcelain etc. However, I don't think my spot was rust this time.

Thanks a million for all your help.

Bobbie;)

Hi All,

I'm new to posting but had a tid bit that might help in the future. I, too, had an iron burp on a customers white quilt. I always have Wet Ones near any place I happen to be. So I grabbed one and proceeded to clean up the spots. Now, the spots where fresh so I think plain water might have gotten them up but I didn't have any plain water on me. Just the Wet Ones. I will never be without them close at hand. Just a little FYI

Archived