Standing while Quilting - tired legs

I've been practicing on my machine for a few hours and am finding that my legs/feet are really tired. I'm in my garage which has a cement floor covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting (no padding). Is there an economical way to put something down to make it easier when standing or sitting in my saddle chair? Needs to be in-expensive and easy to install. I'm sure there must be some good ways to fix this issue - I'm just no sure what. Would appreciate any input from this forum on ideas. Oh, I finally put my tennis shoes on for more padding but I'm not a shoe person so would prefer to be able to quilt with "no shoes". Ideas appreciated....Mercedes

Good mats and shoes will definately relieve your body but what can really get away from you is time. I suggest you set a timer and don't allow yourself to stand longer than say 2hrs without a sit down break with mayibe something to drink. Just relax and then head back to your work. I suffer from the same problem as you on cement floors. I'm not in the basement but the room was added onto the house. I do have mats similar to the ones used in restaurants that I bought in Costco many years ago that link together. I don't have a chair but have looked into a saddle chair. I cannot quilt without shoes or slippers on. The ruibber mats with holes in them are not comfortable to stand bare footed.

I know you said you're a no-shoes person, but I personally think that a good supportive pair of shoes is a must. I know that I was always a barefoot girl thinking that was naturally the best for my feet, but now I have foot problems and the dr said no more bare feet! So, when I got my LA I invested in good shoes, too. Once in a while, I'll go barefoot thinking "what the hay" but later in the day, I pay for it!

Mercedes,

Cement floor can be SO hard on our feet & legs.

I, too, have been looking for something to ease the pain. I looked at those anti-fatigue mats (like cashiers have). A small one is around $80, a roll to cover the floor the length of my machine is about

$ 400.

Then I went & put on my "poly shoes". You know those shoes that look like garden shoes with the holes over the top of the feet. Do not use the garden shoes--too stiff. But my "poly shoes" have a nice thick sole. I find my legs and feet do not tire.

I am going to go back to the shoe store (hoping to find a sale) to see if there are any more for sale.

Good luck in your hunt,

Lynn

I purchased the puzzel pieces at lowes a couple of years ago. I have both the colored pieces and some gray. You can arrange in a pleasing manner. Then if you still need more create a 2nd layer.

ALWAYS wear comfortable tennis shoes with good support. Don't quilt in bear feet.

If you are doing small fine work, lower your table and sit on a seat.

Eventually I want to look into a saddle chair. I can just see me sliding around!

I also work in a basement that has a laminate flooring over concrete. My legs were killing me until I broke down and bought a pair of Mephisto's. They are like Birkenstocks but the heel is higher than the ball of the foot. Made a world of difference to me. I can quilt 8 - 10 hours with no leg aches now.

Hope you find a good solution for you.

Crocs have a great reputation in the quilting world--many swear by them and some hate them or can't wear them at all. Recent rumor has them struggling to stay in business because of the cheap knockoffs in the discount stores. If you are looking for Crocs you may need to look fast. They run about $30 and I find them at Macy's and independent stores locally.

I have carpet installed over a very good pad so I am able to just replace shoes as needed to keep the feet happy. I greeted a customer in my Sketchers and forgot to change to my clown shoes (that's what my DH calls my red Crocs) and within less than an hour my feet were complaining.

This is the "Cadillac" of mats

http://www.uline.com/BL_1752/Cadillac-Mats

I bought one of these last month and am AMAZED at the difference in my knees hips and back. They are 5/8" thick. Best part is, it's 12ft long and 3ft wide! I'm going to get another one for the other side of the machine :) Now I can quilt for hours barefoot with very little stress on my body.

Smoother surface, unlike ribbed mats, allows for easy turns and quick pivoting all day long

Beveled edges help - no tripping

New 5/8" thick - 40% more cushioning.

Originally posted by quiltmummo

Mercedes,

Cement floor can be SO hard on our feet & legs.

I, too, have been looking for something to ease the pain. I looked at those anti-fatigue mats (like cashiers have). A small one is around $80, a roll to cover the floor the length of my machine is about

$ 400.

Good luck in your hunt,

Lynn

The ones I got at Lowes are only a couple bucks a foot. There not cushy as the expensive ones but they have done the trick for me. If I were quilting 8 hours a day I would probably double them up. Still a lot less expensive.

I just looked at the link Matt provided. Those look like a pretty good deal as well.

Thanks for the tip on the mat. I'dd been looking at gelpro mats, but they are pricey. I have the foam ones now that look like puzzle pieces, but I'm not sure that will be enough on a concrete floor (I'm currently on wood).

And "official" crocs can be purchased at Zappos, for anyone interested. I'm buying a dedicated pair for the studio and a pair to replace my current ones (I'm sure you're all real excited to hear that!:P)

I love my crocs! I have a winter pair, several warm weather pairs, today I wore my "rain crocs (no holes)". I did see a special on TV saying that Crocs were having financial troubles and that they were their own worse enemy (crocs don't wear out). I hope they stay around, I would be lost without them. After 27 years in combat steel toed boots, crocs are the only shoe my feet tolerate.

Several suggestions:

1- When I was young and skinny (and under 30) and teaching school, my legs would be sore from being on my feet all day long. A fellow teacher my age kept urging me to wear "support hose" for my legs. I pooh-poohed her for a long time - after all support hose were for old women and/or fat women and/or women with varicose veins and/or women who had had 10 kids, and I was so far removed from any of those categories that I wouldn't even consider her suggestion for a very long time. Plus, they were UGLY! I don't remember why I finally decided to try them, but I did, and I should have listened to her from the beginning! They helped me considerably, and I was amazed! It was like I hadn't known that I had a problem until the problem was fixed! I could get through an entire school day without even thinking about my legs hurting. The word "Hanes" "Alive" "South Pacific" come to mind. "South Pacific" may have been the color. They were dress hose and didn't look at all like what I had envisioned support hose to look like. They looked like regular nylons.

2- I started developing a bunion (bunions are very painful!) almost at the very time I bought my machine and I was devastated to think that I would be in pain every time I took a step. Miracle of miracles! Someone suggested Birkenstock shoes, and I had immediate pain relief. Some people suffer for years and spend tons of money to treat their bunion(s), and I was so fortunate to learn about this when my bunion woes were only a couple of months old. Bunions are caused by over pronation and Birkenstocks re-align the foot. So good shoes are a must for starters. I'm sold on Birkenstocks forever. If they can "cure" bunions, they can also prevent bunions.

3- You might want to think about buying (a hand-made) braided wool rug on e-bay. Wool has a natural "cush" that all the carpet paddings attempt to copy.