Slightly Bent Hopping Foot? FIXED, Now how to raise hopping foot!! GOT IT TOO.

witha'K'quilting

Can someone tell me how on earth I could have done this?

I did hit a ruler the other day...barely..and my hopping foot now looks bent. Can this really be what caused this? Can I straighten it? How? Will it hurt anything to leave it like this?

It is a little lower on the left side of the foot and it hits thick seams now. I can't believe I did this! Now...I need a quick fix. I really don't want to have to replace it.

HELP! Please. ;)

2883660520104483472S600x600Q85.jpg

2155414150104483472S600x600Q85.jpg

I am guessing that this is how it happened. Either that, or it has always been like this and I just noticed! I can't see what else could have caused this. My youngest son (2 yrs old) did advance the quilt on me the other day when my needle was down and it caused a short rip in the quilt sandwich, but I can't see this happeneing to the foot because of it.

O.K., Take off the ruler mate. Remove the needle and get a cresent wrench. This is the smiplest way to do this. Your cresent wrench is adjustable and should be able to get into and under the hopping foot. Now the tricky part is tweeking it back to level. Be careful. zeke.................

Hi Kristina--when you hit a ruler, you would have hit it most likely on the left side of the foot. That side is lower, not higher, so I bet that didn't cause the "listing". Since that lower side is hitting the seams, raise the left side instead of lowering the right side and maybe you won't need to adjust the height of the hopping foot.

Let us know what works so we can file it for future reference.

Good luck!

A long screwdriver is used to loosen the hopping foot and it drops to the needle plate. Adjust the spacing (usually a folded business card) and tighten. Access to the screw is on the right side (tensioner side). My manual is out in the studio and I am in my jammies, or else the instructions would be more precise.;)

Kristina,

When you raise you hopping foot make sure that the needle is in the lowest position when you loosen the screw and adjust the space with the folded business card. Otherwise the space will be wider than you think and the hopping foot may not be able to compress the quilt sandwich correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...I need help, please! I was able to tweak my hopping foot back straight. Sorry, I forgot to post when I did that. I used Zeke's directions..and it worked great.

Now, I am looking for the screw to allow me to raise my hopping foot. I have a quilt on right now that has very thick seams. Can someone please tell me which page of the manual to find it...or take pictures of the screw for me? I am at a lost! I have never felt so dumb. I have crawled underneath my machine and even called a friend with a millie...she doesn't know where it is either. HELP!!

Kristina,

The adjusting screw for your hopping foot is on the right (tension) side of the machine, probably through a hole almost directly under the takeup lever - so just up and to the left of your tension assembly. You should be able to look through the hole and see the screw when the hopping foot is in its lowest position. You'll need a long skinny screwdriver to fit through the hole and reach the screw. Loosen the screw (righty tighty, lefty loosy;) ), and twist/pull the hopping foot until it's where you think it should be. Normal setting is the thickness of a business card, according to the maintenance manual. Then tighten it back up again. Take care to keep the foot pointed forward as you move it up or down.

Archived