Sign in to follow this  
luv2kwilt

Design wall

Does anyone out there have a great way to build a good sized design wall? I have heard that I should use the pink foam board insulation and then wrap it in batting and then flannel. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any better ideas? I have looked on this site and haven't found any "recipes" yet. Thanks for all your help!

Luv2Kwilt

Monica Gum

www.piecefultimes.blogspot.com

Mine are just wrapped in flannel. cheap stuff at that. I have 3 that I can stand next to each other or use for 3 different quilts. I had to cut them down a foot to be able to move them around the class room and I can put them on top of each other for storage.

Quilting Joyfully,

FCC796C4FC78D040DABDEF36ED639BF0.png

Joyce Coburn

APQS Sales,Service, Training

EdgeRider Wheels Dealer

joyce@coburnsquilting.com

www.coburnsquilting.com

330-310-7346

I bought about 9 pieces of bulletin board (approx. 30"x40") from Menards. Hubby screwed them onto the wall. I painted them white, then bought a bolt of Thermore fabric wholesale and used pins to attach it to the bulletin board. This has worked well for me for several years.

Joan

This is a picture of the one my DH made for me. I have two panels. They slide on tracking mounted under the shelf for the length of my studio. I just love them and DH too!

They are the blue insulation panel mounted on a metal frame he built. I SEWED the flannel sheet covered panel to the frames with a buttom on front and the back to prevent the cording from ripping the insulation. Hope this will give you some ideas!

post--13461902561016_thumb.jpg

Dell 2016 Millie Frannie Ann Jr. with Bliss & she is Quiltaziod and Circle Lord Equipped with lots of Quilting Toys and now has Quilt Path!

I use my quilt hanger for a design board. My quilt hanger can hold anywhere from a twin to king size quilt. I hang a quilt on the quilt hanger, then just pin a batting length at the top of the quilt and let it hang down. All fabric will cling to the batting and I can re-arrange blocks or whatever. When I'm done, I can take the batting down and wala - the quilt underneath is on display. I've never had a problem with batting sticking to the quilt. It's quick simple and no real setup and it doesn't take up any space since I always have a quilt hanging on the hanger.

If you didn't want to use a quilt underneath, you could hang a sheet and pin batting or flannel or whatever you wanted so your blocks would stick. I have a small house so have to make due with what I have....Mercedes

Millenium

I just purchased a design wall from my local quilt shop. It's called "Quilter's WonderWall." You can go to their website at www.trinityquiltdesigns.com or call them at 775-265-2824 or 775-691-3808. I love it because it can be permanent or portable so it can be taken to classes It's 54" wide and 72" long. It has grommets on the top and it was only $29.99.

My hubby used a 4 x 8 sheet of tempered hardboard "masonite". He built the frame on the backside out of 1 x 4's to stabilize the board. The Hardboard was 1/8". We covered it in red flannel, sold by the yard and 60" wide, at Joann's.

I LOVE mine! It goes from ceiling to floor and he used 2 of them. 8' x 6' is what he cut it to.

We wrapped and stapled the flannel to the backside of the 1 x 4's.

F55CA928B31BF9D50E35FB71F402EFB1.png Millennium/IntelliQuilter 402-450-8321 Designer of the 1/2" foot for Ult II's. 1sheributler@gmail.com

Originally posted by luv2kwilt

Does anyone out there have a great way to build a good sized design wall? I have heard that I should use the pink foam board insulation and then wrap it in batting and then flannel. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any better ideas? I have looked on this site and haven't found any "recipes" yet. Thanks for all your help!

Luv2Kwilt

I've done it this way and it worked GREAT for me...when I moved my Studio to New York I didn't bring the insulation and when I needed to make a new one I just stapled the flannel to the wall, but the insulation will be replaced when I get the time and a free wall again.

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

i used a kind sized flat flannel sheet that i got on clearance and thumbtacked it to the wall in my studio. works great and cost me $10.

Meg

"Do small things with great love." Mother Teresa

"Life's too short to fuss with thread." Meg Fazio

http://theonewiththreadsonherclothes.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megfazio

I used a 4 x 8 sheet of pink foam board insulation. I covered that with a very pale yellow flannel that is held in place by duck tape on the back side.

The flannel is enough to hold small pieces. But it is nice to be able to pin larger heavier quilt tops to it too.

Victoria G

I have a 60" wide quilt hanger screwed to the wall. I hung a 60x72 piece of batting on it and put a 60x72 piece of clear tablecloth plastic over the batting. That way I can use it as a design board or I can put a quilt between the batting and plastic and draw designs with a dry erase marker to develop quilting ideas. Then while I'm quilting I can check the plastic if I forget what I should do in any area. I use it ALL the time.:)

We have a design wall at the shop as well as my home studio.

Just took 2 lengths of Flannel Backed tableCloth (Bought on the roll at Wal-Mart)

and stapled it to the wall. (Regular home stapler)

Works great, inexpensive, and if we have to take it down, the staples don't leave any marks on the walls.

ours have been up for over 2 years and still hanging tough!!!

Laura

Laura Farnham
APQS Rep, Colorado
Sales ~ Service~ Education

www.whisperstitchstudio.com

719~510~0599

laurathelongarmer@gmail.com

Whisper Stitch Studio, LLC

every quilt tells a story.......

.....you just have to listen

Mine works great. I used two of the large pieces of white foam board you can buy at Office Max and then went to Kohl's (always a sale) and bought a flannel sheet set in a solid color. Came home, cut to wrap around each one individually, hot glued and hubby hung them side by side on the wall. Completed blocks stick to the flannel like magic! It cost me under $30!

Pungogal