favorite thread combo

Hi everyone,

I want to know what your favorite thead combo is. From my searches bottom line in the bobbin is a popular choice with almost any thread on top. I want to try some different threads. I have been using kingtut both top and bobbin. Also rainbows top and bobbin. Recently used a poly thread from Marathon in top and bobbin. It was a juicy lime green. Fun.

Thanks,

Carol

I use a 40 on top mostly with 50 on the bottom.

When I use a 12W on top, I prefer a 28W on the bottom, anything thinner seems to cut right through the 12W.

I have what my wife likes to call a thread fetish. She loves fabric and I love thread and that's what makes us the perfect match. I have a giant collection of threads from Sulky to Superior. About a year ago I stumbled across a spool of Aurifil in a LQS. I took it home with the intention of using it in the bobbin but soon realized I love it just as much in the top.

My obsession with Aurifil grew considerably as I started to use it on the long arm. I love the sheen of all their threads. They also have a great assortment of variegated colors which are by far a customer favorite. Their 40W and 50W run really nice on my machine and occasionally I'll use a 28 or 12W. The 12W looks like you painted the stitches on, it is so beautiful.

When I use a 12W on top, I prefer a 28W on the bottom, anything thinner seems to cut right through the 12W.

I also like Gutermann, although their color and weight selection is limited. It's still my good old stand by.

I would like to try Isacord and Wonderfil. Perhaps some time soon.

I have a lap quilt that I quilted about six months ago where I used 4 different brands of thread and after dozens of washes the Aurifil still looks new where the others have faded.

This is a great topic, I'm interested to see what other long arm quilters like to use in the bobbin.

Thanks everyone. I have made a vow not too buy any fabric until I finish up a few UFOs. There is just no more room in the cabinet. Now after reading ManQuilter's reply I am feeling the need to try some aurifil thread! I have lots of room on the thread rack. Yippee! Looking forward to hearing from others on this topic.

Carol

Most of the time I use Bottom Line or So Fine in the bobbin. If I want to have more definition on the back of the quilt, if the quilt is flannel or solid, I might go with So Fine. But I like Bottom Line because it is thinner and doesn't run out so often and less bobbin changes. I've used Bottom Line primarily in my quilts and I always tie, knot, bury my thread starts and stops so there isn't a worry it will slip loose. If I do have a concern, I will dab a teeny tiny drop of Fray Check on there but this is a rare occasion I do this.

Hi Matt,

If you like Aurifil, you'll LOVE Genziana Cotton Mako from Cucirini Tre Stelle. That's the long name for it. I just call it Cucirini! It's also an Italian long staple Egyptian cotton thread. The colors are almost identical to Aurifil's and you get almost 1100 yards for $7.60 Canadian. Also available in 5250 yard cones and in several different weights, from 50 to 12.

www.longarmsupplies.com

Not affiliated, just love the thread!

Thank you Darlene,

I will have to look for it in those colors. I used to run a 60W Tre Stelle (white)for all my piecing. That is until I started matching my piecing thread to the fabrics. I bought a 10,000Y Cone a while ago and it lasted forever. In fact, I think it's still kicking around one of my daughters sewing machines. When I went looking for it in different colors, all I could find was white. That was around the time I switched over to Aurifil for all my thread needs.

I hate wasting, so I tried using the Tre Stelle as a bobbin thread on the long arm but found it extremely linty and breaking all the time. But I have to tell you that man oh man can you get alot of that 60W onto the bobbin. It seemed to last forever.

I will definitely give it another shot, maybe in a thicker weight.

Kint Tut with BL bobbins.

Signature with BL or So Fine bobbins.

BL on top and So Fine bobbins.

So Fine on top and bottom.

Rainbows with BL.

If they want all cotton, bobbins self-wound with the same weight thread as the top.

Use any combo that your machine likes--and try them all before you decide.

well, darlene, you got me started on aurifil and i still love it.... but since you don't sell it anymore, i've gone mostly to signature... i love prewound bobbins and have discovered the magna-quilt and -glide (with the magnetic core)... i'm thinking i like them... will be starting a large quilt tomorrow using it and hoping it performs as well as the samples they sent me (bobbincentral.com)! (ps: i've noticed that many quilt shops in the seattle area now carry aurifil--but not at the nice price i got from darlene--inflation, i guess)

Matt,

Do you mind sharing which machine you use? You are running so many different brands and weights, eg. 28w in bobbin.

Originally posted by ManQuilter

I have a giant collection of threads from Sulky to Superior.

I like Ricky Timms Art Studio in the bobbin and LOVE YLI's new poly thread for longarms. It gives a great definition quilt stitch and is almost lint free. It looks like cotton when it is quilted. Found that the color wheat goes with almost any color. Their variegated green is also another favorite color of mine.

Pat in SE GA:cool:

Matt - Congratulations on your new Millie!

My Liberty seems to like So Fine in the bobbin and top the best. I also like to use So Fine in the bobbin and Rainbows in the top. I often have trouble with Tutt, but have about 20 cones of it, so I will work on setting my tension to make that work, too. I'm sure it is "me" not the Liberty that has trouble with certain threads. I also bought some Highlights and some Bottom Line, so I need to experiment with them, too. Then I have my drawers of Isacord for my embroidery machine that I need to try on the LA. Then there are some metalics and a box of Glitter to try, too. Oh, I think I have a thread fetish, too. :)

there will be booths at innovations selling thread.. although i've always found it difficult to 'compare' at any of these shows... i checked the vendor list and looks like superior will be there... http://mqinnovations.com/vendors.htm -- other vendors will be selling thead as well... i'll be hunting for good deals on those magna- bobbins... it's working great in my millie right now... i've been having horrible tension problems lately, but none with these bobbins!

Archived