What is the knob on the front of my Millie?

Text

O.K. I try not to bug you guys with questions but i can't figure out what the knob on the front of my Millies head is. It is not in any pictures and i find nothing on the dvd about it.

The DVD is for a 2008 and mine is a 2009. Also it has quilt glide but no info came with it to explain how to do it.(whatever "it" is)

Also, when you use your horizontal spool holder (I have to use up some of my thread:D) Do you take it straight down to the guide above the tensioner,or, back to the back thread guides?

I think that is the "Quilt Glide". I recently started using mine and I love it! It is for micro stippling and will over ride the stitch regulator.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will chime in.

My machine is a 2009 Millie also. I named him Big Baby! I was going with Big Boy, but it kept reminding me of FOOD!

Sorry, don't know about the spool holder:(

It is Quilt Glide. it overrides the SR when you have it turned on. The knob controls at how slow you have to be going before the SR is overridden. It is used mainly for small intricate work to get a smoother feel with the SR.

I have it on my machine and have mixed feelings about it. I liked it when I started using it because it does feel smoother with small intricate work. However, I have stopped using it because my tension changes when I use it. The tension gets very tight when I turn it on and goes back to normal when I turn it off. I have yet to get a satisfactory answer as to why. Personally, I would not spend the $1,250 again for it. I don't think it is worth that much money for the benefit you get from it.

You are supposed to take it straight down to the three-hole tensioner guides, but you will have to experiment with what threading works best for you and your machine on the horizontal spool holder.

I have both the horizontal and the vertical spool holders, and often take the thread from a spool on the horizontal guide, through the vertical spool holder guide and then down to the three-hole tensioner. This has worked well for me -- my theory is that the thread does best if it is a straight shot down into the tensioner.

Before I got the vertical spool holder, I added a pigtail eyehole (attached around the screw above the three-hole tensioner) and threaded through that from either the horizontal spool holder or the back spool holder before going through the three-hole tensioner.

I hope that's not confusing -- probably best to start with threading straight into the three-hole tensioner and then make adjustments only if needed.

I have Quilt Glide on my machine, and I love it. I set it at a relatively low setting. I tried doing micro-stippling with just the stitch regulator on, and it was very jerky and unpleasant. My stitch quality with unregulated stitches was not great, either, so stitch-regulated is my preference. With Quilt Glide engaged, the stippling flows much more smoothly, and I feel more in control of the machine. I have not experienced the tension issue, but I have not run many different threads on it. I am using Bottom Line in top and bottom, and have had virtually no thread breakage as some said I might using this thread. I am very pleased with it, and feel it is worth the investment, at least for me. I would suggest experimenting with the "knob" on the front of the machine. The farther you turn it, the faster the machine will stitch while you are NOT moving the machine. You will need to find the speed that is right for your style.

I also have the QuiltGlide and am still a little confused. When you turn the knob, do you turn it all the way to the right or is there some increments to it. I can't tell. Do I turn it just a little or what? I'm not into micro stuff yet so I guess it doesn't really matter but would love to know more about it. Mine didn't come with instructions either. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Debbie

When I change from doing say 10 sts per inch in sr mode to say 14 I would always adjust my tension even without Quilt Glide, I wonder if this is what you are noticing. Quilt Glide isn't connected to the tensioner in anyway so I would guess this is what you would need to do.

Good luck

sue in australia