my fall swap layout....

doodlebug

i wanted to share a picture of my fall swap layout- so far...

i added the acorn block to give me four applique for the center....it works well because tereasa's block has the 'rays' of yellow in the four corners, so i hand appliqued (it's what i do at night while listening to the TV. i can't sit idle....i figgit) the sunflower blocks for the four corners. the blank areas will get log cabin blocks, i haven't decided whether to do the logs scrappy or pick a color, but the one side will be black (lots of open space for custom quilting, like we ever get to quilt our own, right?)

just thought i'd share

post--13461902570331_thumb.jpg

You already know that I love it.

Love the acorn block...it really ties it all together. and those sunflowers...very nice. I would suggest scrappy fall colors vs greens for the log cabin blocks. But then again...all greens will give this quilt some continuity. Maybe that is what it needs. Besides green will tie in nicely with the sunflowers. Lots of help huh?? :D

I love the corn on it's side, funny me I'd only auditioned them with the top up, like you'd put on a front door. I like your way much better. A great design with intention of added quilting. Have you thought about thread color yet? Now you've sparked me on to get further on mine. I won't be putting an acorn on mine (love the arc's in the top of the acorn) because I already have (am) enough nuts!! :)

So glad you are back, hope the unexpected, enforced down time was productive for you.

Shannon, that looks great, love the other blocks you made.... Do you have a border fabric already? Never thought about doing another block as the alternate, I thought a plain alternate block would give more open quilting spaces, but w3hat do I know! Can't wait to see how you quilt this!

hold on... i'll go get the book it came from....(but do ya really need a pattern for a flower??) :)

it's from "flowering quilts" by kim schaffer. its the flower (with a doodlebug touch) from the table runner on page 10

click on the name of the book to go to the amazon page for it....

in the book, it's for a 10" block. so i didn't use the template for the smaller petal. i used the larger one only...and just eyeballed them on the fabric so they looked organic...

i'm sorry to hear that you two are still waiting on your blocks....

satu- i had a customer admiring your block the other day....holly's is also a crowd favorite...

as for the corn, that's the way cathy signed it...all my blocks are turned so the signatures are the same way....yes, i'm OCD...

Thanks Shannon,

I am going to "copy" the center of your sunflower to add to a sunflower I am doing on a mystery quilt .

Is it OK with you???? (((((Please say YES!!!;););)))))

Since I broke my ankle, so I have time to work on the applique. DRs orders to be a week with the ankle higher than the hip. Laptop and applique are keeping me busy..

Thank God for the forum... You all keep me going...

Very cool indeed. Shannon, I had my layout all done and had even started to work on a sashing here and there. I measured and cut and pinned and stitched and as I did the yellow fabric I was working with continued to grow and grow. By the time two blocks were done the edges were flapping like a large preditor bird. So.... I pulled each off the design wall, folded them up and will pull out all stitching and start over a bit later. I hope you (and each of you out there in swap-land) better luck with yours. Peace out!

I love your layout, I think I'd just add some plain black blocks to give the eye a rest...

I plan on using gray thread on my fall quilt, I like the idea of having the quilting pattern show with the lighter color thread.... not a really light gray, but a shade or two lighter than the black....

• 4 months later...

Archived