maxi-lock thread

I was given a huge quantity of Maxi-lock serger thread by a friend. Anybody have experience- good or bad- with this? It's poly and tex 27. Seems like it might be good for bobbin thread. I did a small sample and it looks OK. What do you all think?

Linda R

Olympia Wa

I have used serger thread (don't know the brand) with my Millie when practicing on muslin. I have never had it break. I have also used the Maxi-Lock Swirls on a quilt. It looks great and I had no problems. This quilt is a wall hanging so it won't get the use that a bed or lap quilt would get, but I love the Maxi-Lock Swirls.

Linda,

Maxi-Lock is a 100 % Polyester product of the company called A & E, Inc. This company have been in business for over 100 years and are the makers of Signature, Mettler and YKK thread.... which we have all seen in a variety of colors.

I use Maxi-Lock in my very old UlT II for both bobbin and top threads, and have had wonderful results....with the exception of GREEN....my machine hates the green maxi-lock....something to do with the dying process. Sometimes it does have a huge lint problem, but I handle that with a bit of "Sew Aid" and it does tame it down. Each color has its own story so you will learn as you go which ones has more or less with your machine.

Maxi-Lock is a 37 weight thread so it will not be as thick as your Poly Quilter or King Tut from Superier Threads, and it will be a bit thinner than your Signature threads, so it just means that you get to choose which look you want for your quilt.

Where this threads were given to you...watch out for old thread....some colors don't keep as well as others, so if you seem to be having a huge amount of breakage and you just can seem to get the tensions dialed in....don't mess with it. No amount of Sew Aid or putting it into the freezer to rehydrate it will help, so just pitch it and go on.

Good luck, and happy sewing.

I know that some people poo-poo the Maxi-lock as cheap thread, but I used it on a quilt that I did on my Handiquilter (Pre-Willie) over 4 years ago. That quilt is on my bed so it is used daily and washed frequently. The thread has held up very well. Not one broken stitch!

There is a longarmer here who has been quilting for many years and she only uses Maxi-Lock. One of my customers uses this quilter and I asked her about the Maxi-Lock. She told me that the other quilter had quilted dozens of quilts for her, many for her grandkids. These quilts have been used and washed for years and they have held up fine.

I tend to lean towards being a cotton purist but I will use it if the need arises. Today . . the need has arisen! :) While at Paducah, I bought a bunch of the Masterpiece thread and had planned to use an ecru for microstippling. Well, as luck would have it, nothing matches my quilt top so next trip to town, I'll run by Hancock's and if the Maxi-Lock is the right color, I'll get it and use it. And, it won't bother me a bit to use it.

I usually explain the different in cotton vs. poly thread to my customers and let them decide which thread I should use.

I bought my Millenium used from Marilyn Badger, well known in APQS and in the machine quilting world. She told me to buy the whole line of Maxi-Lock to get started. She said Milleniums work best with poly thread. That is mostly what I use and I love the new varigated Swirls they have now. I have a terrible time with thread breaking, tension problems, etc with Signature, especially the varigated. My grandkids quilts have been washed and washed and the Maxi-lock still looks great. I know its controversial, but it works for me and if I 'ain't happy' my work suffers.

Thank you all so much for the great info on this thread. Now I will try it with some confidence. I will pick up some of the Swirls as soon as my local Joanns restocks after their latest sale!! Again, thanks to all who replied.

Linda R.

Archived