What does everyone Do/Did for a Living/Career?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started by waitressing as a teenager. Married 1978, had a son in 1980, divorced in 1982 and went to school for accounting. Worked for a lumber co., greenhouse, turkey plant, feed mill, Joann's (selling sewing machines) and now sixteen years with a chiropractor. Had a daughter in 1985, married in 1986, divorced again in 1990. Remarried for the very last time in 1993, happily celebrated our 16th anniversary last Friday the 18th. I quilt for others in my spare time, which means turn around time isn't as fast as I would like it to be yet. We have 6 grandchildren: Logan 12, Mason 6, Leah 4, Cole 3, Tommy D 2 and Jesse 9 months.

Kristina, this was a great topic. Everyone is so interesting.

My 1st real job was at KMart in the deli and then moved to the checkouts. After getting married in 1975 I went to work for Kendal and Columbia Sportswear sewing on the big power machines.

I stayed at home with my 3 girls until they started going to school, then I worked at the day care so I could be with them. I started taking accounting and business classes and went to work for a remodeler in Texas.

We moved back to Oregon in 2000 after living in Texas for 17 years. Now I'm the bookkeeper/office manager for a company that sells doors, windows, millwork and prefinishes. I've been here for over 6 years now.

I'm hoping that I will have a nice enough business in quilting with my APQS Freedom SR in a couple of years so I can stay home or only work part time. That way I can spend more time with my grandkids. Number 7 is due the day after thanksgiving and number 8 is due in March.

They're the best.

I work in the Pipeline Operations Department for Alyeska Pipeline Service Company; this company maintains operations of the Trans Alaska Pipeline. It’s that big pipeline that moves all the oil from Prudhoe Bay in the Arctic Ocean to Valdez so the tankers can fill up and ship it down to refineries in Oregon and California. I have been working for Alyeska since 1994. It is great place to work; the best job I've ever had! I work with amazing people that tackle interesting projects, always something going on. Right now we are in the midst of a $500 million dollar project upgrading our pump stations to state of the art electric driven pumps and motors. Operations of the pumps and valves are controlled remotely via satellite. There is always something going on and it's a fascinating place to work.

Here's the link to the company's web site if you feel the urge to know more! Actually there are some fun stories and photos in there. http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/Default.asp Alyeska was recently featured on National Geographic channel World's Toughest Fixes to cover a major valve replacement. This particular valve is located right here in Fairbanks where I live. Anyway, it's pretty interesting how they do this type of work. A year's worth of planning goes into this multi-million $ valve project. In the past, in other locations along the pipeline, we've replaced a few valves similar to this one. So, between quilting and work and keeping up with y’all here on the APQS chat, it's never a dull moment for me!!!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3565/Overview

Normally I am in town working in the office but occasionally I like to get out to the field to see what’s really going on. Here is a photo of a visit to one of our field location facilities. I'm second from the right showing me and some of my coworkers visited one of our pump stations.

post--13461902620462_thumb.jpg

I worked for Stretch and Sew and did "sew in's" if anyone remembers those.

My full time job was teacher. I taught first, second and third grade. Did it for 33 years. Retired in 2008. Have not regretted it one bit. I also worked part time while teaching at a local quilt shop so they could be open on Sunday. Stopped doing that when I found out I had no time for me to do what I wanted to do.

I just moved 45 minutes from where I used to live. Trying to get organized so I can quilt more.

Charlotte

I worked for a railroad, responsible for some of the measurement systems and developing standards, performance and productivity measures. I survived three major mergers (that is, got to keep my jobs!) and retired in 2003 after 34 years. After the last merger railroading wasn't fun any more and I left on the first possible day that I could. :)

After I retired from my real job I got a pretend job at a sewing store, which provided a little extra cash to finance my embroidery habit, and that lasted until 2006 until we moved to Missouri. I was a hard core machine embroiderer and wasn't interested in quilting. The first quilt that I made was in 2002, is king size and has an unknown number of hours of embroidery and decorative stitching along with lace and ribbons and took 1-1/2 years for me to complete. A friend told me I was going to be an quilter and I just told her to leave me alone, all I wanted to do was embroider. At the shop where I worked I was asked to make a quilt for display. Dragged my feet on that one! But I finally got it pieced and then I was told I had to quilt it. Yeah, sure. No quilt frame there, so I just threw it over my shoulder and stippled it on a DSM. And the strangest thing happened.......I was actually sad when I finished quilting because it was so much fun!!!!!

By then the home quilting frames were on the market and I purchased one, along with the 9" machine to go with it. Well, I knew the first time that I used it that it was too small. Fast forward to February this year and I sold the Pfaff and purchased my Millie, and am just loving it.

This was a great thread to start I love the forum and getting to know all of you and appreciate how much everyone helps when there is a need.

And Julie in Jacksboro - just have to let you know we were almost neighbors!! From 1995 to 2006 I lived 2 miles north of Agnes - you know, that wide spot in the road along Jacksboro highway and 6 miles west of Springtown :P

I met my DH 25 yrs ago when I was just about to graduate from Cosmetology College. He's bald and tells everyone to be careful cause I did that to him. I received my license and got married all in the same year 1985. I did that until I was about 7 months along with our oldest son Joel, 1987. I would go and work for Bose corporation and a fill in administrator when needed, worked in a factory to get enough money to buy salon equipment and had my daughter Megan in the meantime, 1991. Opened "The Designers Hair and Tanning Salon" in 1993 and it took off immediately, to much actually. Then God decided we needed another baby and Daniel was born in 1996. Customers weren't willing to let me slow down and they didn't want my help doing their hair so I shut the doors in 1997. NO REGRETS. Went back to Bose for a year then went to work for Weight Watchers, started as receptionist, leader then Southern Area Supervisor. Taught 12 to 18 classes a week and would travel around 300 miles a week. Loved it but took all my time away from my family. DH factory job was looking like it would end so he wanted to start his own business. I got a job at the bank in the accounting department so we would have insurance. He quit the factory and we started M & S Specialty Products 9/11/2001, DH name is Marvin. Business picked up and when I would come home for lunch I would be busy selling sheds, cabins, log furniture and adirondack furniture. We were closed several days a week due to having to deliver product or get product, so I quit the bank, 2004. I would have my sewing machine in the office, before it was connected to the house, and customers would comment on how bad we needed a quilt shop. DH finally said to see what I could do and the quilt shop was added in 2006. I got a Grace/Janome set up to do customers quilts and only had that a few months when I purchased my Millie. So my hats now include selling sheds, cabins, log furniture, lawn furniture and all the little things we have. I have fabric and notions in the quilt shop and have a Saturday Sampler each month. I am looking to expand by adding a Quilt School and a backroom to have a Lenni to rent and show because I am also proud to be an APQS sales rep. I work approximately 80+ hours a week and hoping that when my Millie is paid for I can slow down some. We'll see.

great topic Kristina!

I was a stay-at-home mom until my youngest started school. Jumped into the work force with several part time jobs (all at the same time, I actually carried a daytimer with me so I would know where I was supposed to be!)

When I was offered a full time job in a flower shop I gave up the 3 or 4 PT jobs and settled in as a floral designer. Was there for a few years when I was offered a job as a receptionist for an oil company. I was soon moved from reception to operations, and really enjoyed my job there for several years.

Divorced in '95, I decided to pursue my dream of owning and operating my own flower shop....when I married my forever husband, I sold my shop and moved to his hometown, where I now work as a land administrator.

Life is good! 3 grown kids and their spouses, 1 stepdaughter, 1 beautiful grandbaby and another due in 4 weeks... oh yes, and a pretty yellow lab!

I have been sewing all my life, blessed to have had a Mom who was patient enough to let a little 5 yr old stand behind her old Singer and watch her sew, and eventually teach me the importance of cutting on the straight of grain! I made a baby quilt before my granddaughter was born (mostly because I thought I should do something "grandmotherly" for her:)) and I was hooked! Have been piecing and piling up quilt tops ever since because I knew I would someday own a longarm. Millie was delivered a few weeks ago, and like another lady on the forum, I'm only quilting for me and my dog! (so far :))

Great idea Kristina, this is a great way to get to know each other.

I have my university degree in Geology, got married in 1995 to my soulmate (and also a geologist) and we have two boys, ages 9 and 13.

I quit working outside the home when I had my first baby and feel very lucky to be able to stay at home with my kids. Started quilting when the kids were young as DH was away a lot working in bush camps across the country and i needed a creative outlet for myself. Began quilting for others 4 years ago and then bought my Millie last year. Started my longarm business this January and am thrilled I found my niche in life.

That's my story :)

I am a computer systems administrator for Barrick Gold, the largest gold mining company in the world. Although my degree is in accounting, I have been involved in computer systems for close to 25 years. I help implement our computer system in mines that we acquire. Right now I am in beautiful Marathon, Ontario, on the north side of Lake Superior.

We moved to Nevada from Arizona 13 years ago. We still own a beautiful home in Arizona and will likely return when we retire. We have three wonderful children, two boys, one married and a minister in California, the other in the Navy based in Norfolk, Virginia. Our youngest is our beautiful daughter who is a junior in high school. She is a saxophone player and quite an accomplished quilter, although teenage life gets in the way these days.

We recently moved my Mom in with us from Tucson as well. Mom is the reason I started quilting, and she is totally in awe of the longarm. In fact, not long after she moved in, I asked her what she wanted to do one weekend. Her response: "Watch you quilt!"

I have always enjoyed sewing and stitching of all kinds. My first longarm was nearly handed to me about 5 years ago. I have never looked back! Not sure if I'd ever want to quilt full time for others; it would become a job then! So I just fiddle around with it and try to have fun! Quilting and creativity are great stress relievers for me! Maybe once we retire I will teach and do a little more, but for now I am happy just having fun!

Charlotte, my mother worked at Stretch and Sew hwre in housto for many years! We always had the best swimsuits and lingerie because she taught there. Still have many S&S patterns.

As for me, I married in '72, had a daughter, divored, married again (wifebeater), escaped, worked 18 years in retail as a Loss Prevention/Safety Manager, and Office Manager. Somewhere in all that I worked at a bank for about a month, hated every moment of it. Then remarried and divorced again. Had to give up retail so I could get a life, which worked out well because I was diagnosed with rhuematoid arthritis at age 42 and was no longer able to walk far or stand for long. I'd been supervising credit and collections at a store level for the entire time I'd been in retail, I shifted over to that full time. I've been with my job now for 9 years. It is a family owned company, manufacturers and wholesalers of custom colored cast stone used in construction, custom colored mortars and stucco materials. We developed all of our colors and own the patents on all of them. We have three locations in the state and I handle all the credit, collections, liens, and lawsuits for all three. We also have a sister company that manufacturs structural steel and I handle their stuff also. I love the company and the people - work with, our customers are great, now, if they would just stop waiting for me to call before they send us a check just so we can visit awhile..... :D. I love quilts, hate peicing, love quilting, can no longer handquilt, and am saving for my own Millie. I can't wait!

I started waitressing in my teens to save money for college. College lasted a year until the money ran out and back to restaurant work--which I loved. Met Den in the 70s, had Adam in 1980 and we owned a snooty French restaurant by 1985. That frantic time lasted for three years until the time away from home/family was too hard for me to bear. We sold out to our partner (making a tidy profit) and I got a job at a grocery store that allowed me to be home for dinner every night--heavenly! I have been with the same company for 20 years. I am the Union Steward for my district and now do the store audit (bookkeeping) 5 days a week for 5 hours a day.

I still can't figure out how life lead me to my machine and this family on the chat. But I am sooo glad!

Boy - so many jobs that we have held. I started out as a waitress, married my 1st not so DH and was divorced a1 1/2 yrs later. I was pregnant at the time, (didn't know that at the time I left him) and had my son in 1969. So I was a single parent for the next 4 years. During that time, I went to secretarial school and went to work for the State of Washington, Dept of Social and Health Services as a Non-Assistant Food Stamp Eligibility Examiner and did that for several years. The transfered to an Aid to Dependant Children Eligibility Examiner. During that time, I met my DH, Bill and we were married in 1974. He had his 2 children from his first marriage (yes, very unusual at that time for the dad to be awarded custody, but that tells you what a great guy that he was). So we combined our families together and for the most part, we did well with all the personalities meshing together. After we got married, I became a stay at home mom with our 2 youngest in kindergarten and oldest one in 1st grade. I was pretty involved in their school activities and we were fortunate that I didn't have to work. When they were in Jr. High, I went to work at Fabricland in Spokane, WA part time and ended up being full time and an assistant manager. During that time, I also joined with a girlfriend and we had a part time business - "The Kurtain Korner" making custom made drapes. That lasted about 2 years and we were both burned out with the "production line" mentality of it and we decided that we were going brain dead. So we closed that business. DH was working as a Golf Course Superintendant and as time went on, he branched out into the landscape irrigation industry. We moved to Salem, Oregon and after working for 3 years at a small course, started our own business. I worked with him in our business doing both office work as well as working in the "trenches" along side of him. And I have the blue glue stains on some of my old jeans to proove it! Eventually, my body was no longer able to do the hard work as the "itis" boys were having their way with my body. So I worked in the office, and that is when I began quilting as just something I had always wanted to do. One thing led to another and I ended up getting my Millie in 2006. It was to help us with a little extra income after DH and I retired. As a lot of you know my DH passed away last November after a hard fought battle with pancreatic cancer. I am still reeling a bit from all that goes along with loosing a soul mate, and I'm still doing quilting for others. My business could still grow, but is enough for me for now. God knows that I just can't handle the stress of having a bunch of quilts around, so I have one or 2, then have a break, then a couple more come it. It is the right pace for me at this time. Anyway, that is the high points of my past, and I look forward to what is in store for me in the future.

WOW, I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW LONG THIS WAS, SORRY ABOUT THAT!:o

Wow, we are really a diverse bunch!

I am an RN at a clinic where I am the nursing supervisor. I have been there 21 yr. DH a wildlife biologist with Ne Game and Parks and is a avid hunter.

I have been married for 33 yr and a nurse for the same.

I have been quilting for 25+ yr and just love piecing. I bought a LA 2 yr ago and quilt for myself.

I have learned so much from you all and now I know more about you! Thanks!

Appraiser is the job that helps to pay the bills for the last 13 years. Hubby, Mike, is a unique fella - the complete opposite of me - calm, energizer bunny, stable, patient. He is also unique as he has just celebrated his 35th year with the same company doing pretty much the same job which he enjoys. Married for 14 years and his immediate (mom, sister, brother and kids) family is spread from 1 tip of the US to the other - Alaska, Texas/Mexico border, Washington State and Penn. Even opposite in that regard as mine have mostly stayed within a 3 hour distance. However, we both love doing missions work.

What a great topic. This is my lifes experience from over the ocean.

Married the love of my life in 1978, we met in September 77, engaged in December and married in March 78 (it sure was a whirlwind romance). Our son came along in August 81 followed by a daughter in 83.

I was raised in a beautiful city nicknamed the Garden City, in 1985 with work not going well for my DH we decided to move to the Northern Territory to the desert. Sold our beautiful home and off we went. Within a month we had started a company with my in-laws and employed 10 staff. My mother-in-law and I acquired the lease of the High School Canteen and ran that for 7 years catering for about 400 students, that was our day job and at night we ran a commercial cleaning business, cleaning schools, government offices, airport. That lasted for 8 years until we were literally burned out, and we sold our Company.

In 1993 I went to work for a Bank and worked my way up to Assistant Bank Manager, left the Bank in 2000 on a Friday and Monday started work for a Government department (should have had a holiday) I ran the Administration department in charge of the entire admin budget.

In 2002 my husband got a job with a mining company which meant he had to travel 600 kilometres in order to fly in to work, work for 3 weeks before having to travel home again for a week. When the roster was changing to 2 weeks on 1 week off, he thought it a good idea to be closer. No need to tell me twice, we visited Queensland for a week to look around at houses, saw this one on a Thursday and signed the contract on the Friday. Went home to the Territory and put our house on the market and six weeks later I was packed and ready to move. We had gone to the Territory with a 5 year plan, and it was 18 years and 51 weeks later that I left. (but who was counting):P

I retired from the work force when we moved and have been happily quilting ever since. I haven't bought my "Millie" yet but it is definitely in my future plans.

23 years as an elementary Art teacher, then 9 years as a High School Art teacher. Have been quilting 32 years, and teaching beginning quilt classes for 13 years. Bought my Millie in April 2007, started my quilting business in July 2007, and am close to paying off my machine. I am in my last year of teaching, and look forward to retirement and sewing to my heart's content.

ps. missed my 35th anniversary this summer, because my daughter and I were in Paris having fun. DDH didn't mind!

What a very good read here! We have done this before, but it is really nice to hear about some of the newer members - great idea!

I am married to my soulmate for 14 yrs now and we have 2 great girls. He has been everywhere and is my Big Bad Biker!! He is self employed as a Tattoo Artist for almost 25 yrs. I have had my quilting business for over 5 yrs in our house. Love being a stay-at home mom too! Being self employed still allows me the time needed after school with the kids for homework and such.

I can tell everyone that my husband and I make our living by using Needles and Colors - just in different ways!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Oh - we just spent another 2 hours on my sleeve tattoo of quilt blocks today - Done at last!!!!! Yes!!!! - been working on it off and on since Feb...... I can only sit for about 2 hours at a time..... I will post a photo after it heals up a bit and the bruising goes away. I bruise WAY to easy..... Didn't care much for that inner elbow-pit area - ouch!

Wow, took me 20 minutes to read it all, you are all very energetic!!! I've done a lot of jobs, some to survive after running away from home, some to get me thru college. I have a degree in art, taught ele. for several years, went back got MA in special ed, taught that for several years, had 5 kids (4 living) followed my husband around the country on the corporate trail, stopped teaching because of the moving... Of late, I worked as production manager of annual/perr. nursery, framing at Michaels, pediatric practice office, all nice jobs with good hours. I've always sewn for people wherever we've lived, doing home dec/bridal alterations and custom work for short/tall people. NO MENS.:o..I've quilted since high school, bought Milli to shorten how long it was taking:D Currently really enjoying life, 2 older daughters have families, 2 sons in college and soon youngest joins USAF. 3 grandbabies, and found out twin girls (twins run in my husbands family) due in Jan. Tea parties ahead:P:cool:

I've always been a secretary/bookkeeper of one kind or another. (medical, law, nursing home, military (Navy/4 yrs), etc.) Throw in on and off stints as horse ranch-hand, groomer at racing stable in New Orleans, goat herder, chicken rancher, and kid wrangler and you have most of my jobs. My DH and I are both retired now and busier than ever!! Piecing and longarming quilts are my relaxation and play money maker! Oh, an riding my motorcycle!

I did beadwork for over 10 years and produced beaded ornament pattern books and still have that online business. Can't bead anymore due to repetitive motion injury to right thumb - but I can quilt!

Just retired from being the Counseling Dept Secretary at a local middle school. Someone had to love those nutso hormonal kids - and I did. Mom of two - one in England getting her masters (she has had MAJOR health issues and I'm proud of her) and my son who got a job as an animator with DreamWorks (again proud mama). No grandkids - just my son and his fiance's two chihuahua's that we frequently dog sit. Married to same guy who puts up with my creative obsessions for 33 years.

Those of you with college degrees - bravo and great going. Bravo to all of us who are now quilting!!

Archived