What does everyone Do/Did for a Living/Career?

Originally posted by Mary Beth

My biggest regret is that I did not finish college. After my divorce I started taking college classes. I wish I had stayed focused and finished a degree. It seems like you all are so....educated.

Mary Beth,

It is never too late! I got my degree in 2000. I had 2 children and had been married for almost 20 years! It was a harder way to go but I'm glad I did it. I decided after hubby's deployment to Desert Storm and loosing 2 members of our squadron that I needed to be able to take care of my children if I needed too.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about it now. When I hit 50 I started thinking life had passed me by in the way of an education. I am happy now...and I don't feel brainless...most of the time. I just wish I had ordered my life differently. If my DH would be deployed for a few months I would go back to school. He just thinks it is too expensive at this point in my life.

Like you Dory,

I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grow up and at my age, I don't know when that will be....Mary Beth, I never finished college either, married a military man and dropped out of college to move and never went back. I did however take an accounting class 3 years ago as I had been doing an accounting job and figured it was time to really know what I was doing...I have always been able to learn what I need to do in a job and since I am somewhat organized, it just came easy for me. Well, that one class was alot of work and I came out one point away from an A but realized that I did not want to spend alot of time in a classroom (with people half my age) - what would the point be if I did not want to climb the corporate ladder? I'd rather quilt and take classes related to that... anyway, all that to say, if you really want to go back to school, do one class and see how it works for you...

Vicki, I'm not a corporate climber either. I have no desire to do that. If I went back to school it would be for nursing or something like that. I want to work with people, and I want to make a difference in their lives. When I have taken personality tests they have said I should be a clergy or a nurse, make total sense to me. The whole time I was growing up I thought I would be a missionary, but my parents didn't encourage anything but marriage. I have found that I can minister to people where ever I am, so when I see someone who needs a little encouragement or to be lifted up, I feel God has put them in my life for a reason. By working in the corporate world, I am happy to just do my job every day, and be a source of strenght to those around me, if needed.

MB:

I never went to college either. I was a property manager, Realtor, office manager, bookkeeper, managed a temp service, owned a store, sold advertising, was on boards of directors for chambers of commerce, (model), mom, friend, lover, etc. I've learned so much in my life, and have no regrets that I didn't go to college. I made a lot of money - and small amounts of money.

I loved helping people too! I was obsessed with helping people grow their businesses, finding jobs, homes, growing towns, helping kids decide on their future, etc. I would get frustrated when I would give help to someone and they would just not try to help themselves.

But the ache inside has always been my creative side. I'm retired now, and I can quilt every day. I've been doing this for two years now and my passion for designing keeps growing! I'm completely distracted by a new design, or block, or fabric, or class, etc.

MB, YOU HAVE IT! You have the ability to help others in such an incredible way. If you want to become a nurse, I applaud you! Patients will love you and so will doctors. You can additionally "minister" to them and their families with your compassion. So, here's the thing. Don't wait. Sure money is tight. You can probably get a scholarship. If it's what you want to do, don't wait til you are 62 to figure it out!!!!!!

luv ya -b

It's true, I have always believed that you can be anything you want to be if you have the drive and desire to get there...my best friend said she always wanted to be a nurse and I encouraged her to go back and finish school and she finally did at age 45 and is now a nurse. But you really have to have the drive....

I also feel that just being where you are right now and being an encouragement to those around you goes a long way...you never know where people are and being a friend to someone who is very lonely can be important. I am amazed at the women that I meet that are so lonely...at my guild and at church.

I am the youngest of 8 kids, raised on a farm in western Minnesota. Started sewing my own clothes at the age of 9. Worked in a nursing home in high school. Married my high school sweetheart 25 years ago. We have 3 wonderful children, 24, 22, 20 years of age. We had decided that if we had kids, I would be a stay at home mom. Keep in mind that once they started school I was the mom to call for volunteering. When the kids were in elementary and junior high, they thought it was odd that I did not work like all of their friends moms did. But they did like the fact they could bring all their friends over after school and there would be fresh cookies, bars etc. Now that our kids are adults and 2 of the are in the working world, teachers, they have thanked me for being home for them. That to me is the greatest reward.

I have been quilting since 1992, bought my Millie in 2006. I truely enjoy quilting for other people, but the greatest job is being a Mom.

Wow! You ALL amaze me!

Started working for an Ins.Co while I was a Sr. in Highschool. I had all my credits in but a 2 hr class as a Senior, so I worked 10:00 a.m. to 5p.m. for the ins. co.

After graduation, I worked for the State Fire Marshall's office for a couple years, then took on the responsibility for the Police Dept. working 4 days 10 hr shifts as a 911 dispatcher. That lasted a little over a year, as everyone my age wasn't getting off work at 3 a.m.!

Went to work for a family who owned 12 radio stations in 4 states, as a receptionist/bookeeper.

2 yrs into that, met my 1st husband (loser that he is), but he did donate sperm for my awsome kids, Erika & Nicolas, now 28 and 25. Was a stay at home mom for YEARS! Divorced his low life cheat'n wife abusing butt 12 yrs into the marriage. Thought i'd never marry again.

Went to work for a lumber yard where I was a paint manager, then a commercial sales representative to the home builders in the area. Worked there for 8 yrs. That's where I met my "Jason"!!

Never say never....5 yrs after the divorce, and now 10 yrs married to him this last July.

I robbed the cradle. He's 14 yrs younger than I.

I work part-time for a Licensed Clinical Psychologist as his billing, secretary, and I am the office

manager for the Employee Assistance Program that he owns. I get to set my own hours, and work as I can, as I have fibromyalsia that is progressivly getting worse, but he's sincerely the best boss in the whole world in my eyes! His daughter is the director and she's like a sister to me. I am so blessed.

I quilt part-time as I can, both for customers and for myself (whenever that happens....and it's not very often!)

No grandchildren yet, but a Shiba-Inu is my best friend...her name is Kiera.

I thought we did this a few years ago! But it's fun because we have lots of new people on the forum. Anyway, I spent 14 years as a Deputy Sheriff working maximum security recieving jails. I AM THE QUILT PO-LEESE! ha-ha. Not really! I tell all my sutdents my first rule of quilting is, "There are no rules!"

Oh, the stories I could tell, only normal people would have a hard time believing them. It's a very different life when you spend 12.5 hours a day with very hardened uhm....inmates. Oh yeah, out of about 1000 inmates, only 90ish were female so I worked with mainly male inmates. (They're easier, more voilent, but easier, go figure.) It was more of a convenience to house some females. By being an intake facility, we were able to take in both male and female arrestees. This saved a lot of time and distance for local agencies who otherwise would have to transport female arrestees about an hour away to an all female jail. Thus, time off the beat which put a strain on their partners, etc. Ya-da-ya.....

I got hurt at work, had surgery and got back to full duty for about 3 years before I needed a second surgery. Rehab didn't go as well the second time around and I couldn't get back to full duty, so I ended up being medically retired. Then I got to quilt full-time and my only commute is now out to my studio! Except when I'm teaching a longarming classes. I teach at a shop about an hour away a couple times a month, and privately out of my studio as well as quilting. I'm just not happy if I'm not going 90 miles an hour with my hair on fire.

Archived