To Stabilize or not to stabilize...that is the question

I'm going to be quilting a queen-size jewl-box quilt (will post pix asap) and the customer wants baptist fans over the interior and some free-hand in each of the two narrow borders. The hartley fence is warmed-up and ready to go, but...should I stabilize the borders first or do the fans and leave the edges for any hidden fullness to "escape"? The top is fairly flat, but she is not the world's greatest piecer, so there may be some surprises. It's my first quilt for her and she came to me from the other quilter in town, so there is a bit of pressure (at least in my own head)

Thanks in advance,

Leslie

I personally would stabilize either by machine basting or SID and even pins. Pins will allow you make adjustments if it has alot of wavy areas. You could pin instead of SID the SEAM closest to the interior of quilt top where I understand you will put baptist fans. I find myself wanting to SID almost everything but I'm new at this stuff. I know alot don't like pins but I use them alot throughout the quilting process and probly more than I should. I always make things harder for some reason.

Its a good question. Hopefully a more experienced quilter will reply. I could learn something also.

Leslie,

This is what I recommend. Do the free hand in the top 2 Borders. SID if you are going to. Depending on the design, ifyou can start and stop, start the design as close to the front roller as probable working up to and crosses the top and back down the other side a far as you can.

Then start your fans, quilting as much as you can before rolling the quilt. At this point roll to do you next rows of fans. If your border design can be picked up and started again do them and the start the fans in the interior of the quilt. If not and you need to turn the quilt to do the side borders pin baste very well down the sides as you go. ( pin about every 2 inches to really stabilize to keep from adding any fullness).

Do the borders on the bottom and then turn if needed to do the sides.

Hope this is clear.

Myrna

• 3 weeks later...

OK here goes... This is my first time posting a picture, so I hope I got it small enough.

Thanks to Myrna for the hints on procedure. And to Pam Clarke & Nancy Goldsworthy at MQX for the wavy cross-hatch I used in the borders. Who knew that baptist fans would be such a forgiving design??? When I got to a spot with some "personality" I just eased it between arcs and it all went away!

The quilt came out really well, the customer was very pleased.

Archived