wavy border

Hi All,

I can handle a wavy border. Or so I thought. Now I have a quilt on my Millenium and the border is so bad that I really do not know what to do with all the space. It is a very wide border too which makes it all the more difficult. I don't know if you can see it on the pictures I included.

Is there anyone who has experience with this and has an elegant solution?

Anne

post--1346190263004_thumb.jpg

Anne Que,

for some help, look at another strand going on called "What a mess", she had the same problem only with the entire quilt and is getting it to quilt out beautifully, also do a search on Bonnie's starch and steam, it really does help although I will admit this looks like a very friendly quilt with all of the waving this border is doing! Keep us posted!

SID is stitch in the ditch

CC is continuous curve

Stitch in the ditch is just that, quilting directly in the the seams around the pieced shapes and CC is quilting a half circle (or alot of variations evolving) from corner to corner. See http://www.sallyterry.com/documentFiles/5.pdf for the sequence, also see more information about Terry's Twists with this link: http://www.sallyterry.com/utility/showProduct/?objectID=5

The spray and starch method, I've read before, but not able to find it?! Maybe someone else can help you there?

Thank you all, I have asked Bonnie by email to mail me the DVD with her fabulous method. The problem is that my customer wants stars, big stars in the border and I have done that already on the upper side. I tried a little to ease the space away with my steamiron and it worked a little. But there is so much space that I cannot avoid a few folds here and there. This was my customers first quilt, can you imagine? She has never had lessons and has never heard of measuring a border very carefully before sewing it on.

Well thank you all again, I feel helped a lot.

Anne

I agree with Linzi. I just finished a quilt that had very friendly borders. All I could do was a small meander and it did pull it all in. I talked to this quilter, showed her pictures, finally found out she didn't measure, she sewed the border on and cut it. Plus, the corner were mitered, which didn't help any!! Good luck.

I think Linzi and Heidi and I are all in agreement that if you stipple around the stars it will help ease in the fullness. I had one customer quilt before Bonnie's method and I just carefully hand stitched the folds down and you couldn't see them, but that was before I knew any other way. Just breath deeply and know we have all been there and survived. Keep us posted.

I will have to ask my customer.

What I did now was make a fold with all the extra space and stitched it down. It looks like the border has a seam. And because the fabric is quite varied you hardly notice. You can't do that always I suppose, and I have already asked Bonnie to send me her wonder method. This is not the first and most certainly not the last quilt I will get with wavy borders. I consired to add a description of - how to sew a border on a quilt - on my website. I already have a sort of description of how they should deliver their quilt ( like cutting all the threads and ironing the quilt ànd the backing) , which hardly anyone follows up by the way, but I can always try.

Thank you everyone for your kind concern.

Anne

Archived