homemade batting bar

i've been wanting a batting bar for a while, but not really happy with the ones i was finding in my online 'research'. i talked to bonnieb and she sent me pictures of her home made batting bar, which i liked. so about a month ago i had one of those sit-up-in-bed-at-three-in-the-morning epiphanies.

this what i came up with. ( i feel so smart- this came outta MY head. scary) it's 'removable' and basically out of the way....i can still change bobbins, clean the bobbin area, and sit down to quilt.

all it is :

(2) clothesline hooks 3/8" x 7 1/4"

(1) 10ft stick of 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe

(2) 10ft sticks of 1 1/4" rigid conduit (they need to be threaded on the ends- that is important!)

(1) 1 1/4" rigid connector

(10 ft) of the hook part of industrail sticky back 1 1/2" wide velcro (i used the soft part to replace what was in my brake)

(davis is an electrician so the rigid was the easy part)

if you buy the conduit, costs around $60. it took me and davis around 30 mintues to put everything together.

TAH-DA! if you want more details, email me ....

post--13461902635939_thumb.jpg

it's comes off the frame completely. it's just hooked over the bar ends for the backing fabric.

it'll come up some more- just need to drill the other hole in the conduit.

the original idea of 'S' hooks and eye bolts didn't work. to much side-to-side play in the bar, which messed up the alignment of the batting into the quilt...the clothesline hooks took the play out and keep it sturdier . plus, the brake was in the way...

post--13461902636526_thumb.jpg

sorry bonnie mama! hey- it can be motivation to get a new machine *hint,hint, nudge,nudge, wink wink*

i got tired of picking lint and threads off the batting (from the floor) cause it shadowed through the quilt top. plus, barney has decided that the space under the machine is his (see him in the pictures), so i don't have to fuss at him for wanting to lay there and be my buddy....

it'll just make my LAing life easier...

and i want to share...isn't that what quilting is about? sharing?? can't take it with you when you're dead, and no one will understand when you go senile :D

Thanks for the great idea Shannon.

I got some supplies yesterday and rigged it up on my frame. I have to say that after my first bobbin ran out I realized that the bar is taking up to much vertical space for my liking. I'm a tall guy and have a enough trouble already, getting down to change bobbins and clean out the bobbin case because I don't pull my machine over to the side every time. I change the bobbin right where I stopped working. I also check my bottom tension all the time and the bar was really getting in my way.

I am however still going to use your idea to hang my bolt of batting under the table out of the way.

thank you for sharing :)

I use the old fashioned way of keeping my batting out of the way. My idea only cost a 1.50! All I do is stretch a length of elastic from side to side nearest the edge of the table top and viola..no more tripping over batting! Granted it does not roll it all up in a neat little bundle, but it does keep it away from the wheels of the stool I use to sit while I quilt which is all I am after.

Wow - cool idea Shannon. I guess I'd have to get longer parts. I have a 14' table. But this is a GREAT idea. I have two cats and a puppy who think batting lying on the floor is a new bed for them. I don't mind so much for my quilts, but I think my customers would hate it!

Linda

Shannon, thankyou for the inspiration! I've just reorganised my sewing room after my millie was set up just over a week ago. I had a batting bar on my previous longarm, and I didn't know where I was going to put my roll of batting with the new set up. I really didn't want to put it under the longarm table this time, so I looked around my room and found that the trestle table I have set up to press quilt tops, clip thread etc, has a small rail on each leg at the side. So I've put a metal curtain rod through the centre tube of the batting, put a few elastic bands one inch apart at each end of the rod, and ledged it on each side of the rails. The elastic bands form a channel to allow it to roll, but not slip off. It works! I don't think I would have thought of this as quickly if I'd not seen your idea!

Shelley

Matt, I have somewhat the same set up but I don't have another pipe in the center with hooks to hold it, I used old fabric belts to hang my batting pipe on. When I need to get to the bobbin I just roll it up and it sits between the two rails out of my way. I also roll my batting on the opposite way. If you do this just make sure what roller you have a hold of to help you up, I have grabbed the batting roller and landed on my tush. I'll post pics when I can, set up at our local county fair this week.

Archived