how to quilt question

Hi every one,

I have a quick couple of question for you all - I am about to write a book on "how to quilt" but I need a little more depth on what people really find hard about quilting ? What have you always wanted to know about how to make a quilt? What information would you just love to know to make your quilting experience easier and even more rewarding?

I'm only asking this because I don't want this to be just another "how to quilt" book, I want it to have real value to people! Some thing they can refer to and keep dipping into.

Thanks for your help

Michelle Frost

P.S. You can post your answers here on the forum or email me at the_brady_bunch@bigpond.com, if you send them direct to me I will send you a copy of my book me when it is complete, to say thanks :-) Please feel free to contact me via my email address (this is my personal email address).

Yes I also think a section on how to prepare your quilt top for a long armer is most needed in a how to quilt book. After all it is part of the process for alot of quilters out there. I just finished 3 quiltts from 2 women all three supplied their own backing and only allowed 1" of extra backing fabric along the sides of the quilt...made it extremely difficult to quilt it because of the tension clips that attatch to the sides of the quilt. When I informed them they said that our local quilt shop ensured them that there was plenty of backing fabric.

Joann

Yes,,, I agree with JoAnn

It make a quilt so hard to quilt when the backing isn't big enough for the quilt,,,I have run into this problem alot since I have been doing LA.:(

Now when a customer bring me a quilt,,, I take the backing they bring and fold it length wide and fold it over again lay it down,,, then I take their top and fold it length wide and then fold it half again... and lay it down on their backing,,, if I don't have enough inches on their backing to do their quilts,,, I point this out too them while they are still there watching me,,, this has save me alot of calling and time..

hope this might help out.:D

Tell .. or show them to how to square a top! Pinning or zipping is just as imporant as peaceing block sq. to a LA er as it has to be pinned right so it lays right on the LA!! I cant tell you how many time I have showed folks (lady,s and men)how to get the top squared..and how to put on a boarder. and 8 ..out of 10.. time they have to cut off part of the border . and they have been as much as 2'' off from one side to the other.That,s why I will never sq. or trim a top!

Archived